Husband's surgery is Monday...question about first couple days post-op

yesican2
on 10/29/15 11:44 am

I will be off with my husband the day of surgery and the following day, which is when I assume he will come home. After that I have to go back to work as I am also having VSG 12/07/15 and need to conserve my time off as much as possible.

So here is my question: how many days post-op did you need someone to stay with you? Can you be on your own just 2 days after surgery?

SDenae
on 10/29/15 11:50 am - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

As long as he doesn't have to lift anything over 20 lbs and doesn't have to take care of kids, he should be fine. Also, I was told that I couldn't drive for two weeks after surgery, so I had to have my husband drive me to doc appointments and such.

You can help him out by getting his food/protein drinks ready before you go to work so that he only has to pop it in the microwave (if needed) or whatever.

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Chanti_
on 10/29/15 11:52 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

I traveled to and from Mexico by myself for surgery. It went off without a hitch, I had no complications. I also live alone. My sister offered to stay with me but I was doing well from the get go. Those first few days I went for short walks but mostly laid around and tried to get fluids in. So I would say barring any complications your husband could do quite well fending for himself while you are @ work. Of course everyone is an individual and this is just what I experienced.

texasbumpkin
on 10/29/15 11:55 am
VSG on 10/06/15

I needed my husband home to help me get out of bed, up and down from the chair and toilet, and steadying for stairs for about 5 days. My incisions were not in the normal places due to having had a hernia repaired that had mesh and they were not able to go through that area - leading to increased abdominal pain.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/29/15 12:32 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It depends on how he feels after surgery. Everyone is different.

Me, personally, I was fine when I came home after two nights in the hospital. Didn't need any pain medication.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Donna L.
on 10/29/15 1:44 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I live alone and was fine after surgery by myself. The main thing is you just can't move anything heavy. The day before surgery I moved everything into an easily reachable place (really, just protein powder) and did dandy.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/15 1:56 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

My husband's VSG was 2 weeks after my RNY. My mom stayed with us for a few weeks, but mainly just to scoop the cat litter and walk the dog. Neither of us needed any help getting off the couch or showering or anything like that. Everyone recovers differently, but as long as he doesn't have any expectation on him other than to rest, he'll probably be fine. My mom was dragging me out to malls to shop with her 3 days post-op! (She said I was supposed to walk. I think she just wanted to enjoy shopping tax-free while in Oregon.)

Luvmygs
on 10/29/15 4:26 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

I think everyone's recovery is different. I personally didn't need any one home with me. I pretty much slept most of the first 2 days after surgery. I was prepared to have all my liquids available at reach. I'm pretty sure your husband will be ok own his own. Laparoscopic surgery makes it easy for us to recover alot faster.

psychoticparrot
on 10/29/15 5:55 pm

It depends on your husband's response to the surgery and anesthesia as well as his temperament. If he seems alert and able to move about on his own when he comes home from the hospital, it's safe to go back to work. If he's like my husband (who turns into an infant when he's not feeling well), you may need to stick around a bit longer to make sure he's drinking enough water and walking around the house as much as he can.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

yesican2
on 10/30/15 5:19 am

Thanks everyone. His sister is going to be able to stay with him for his 2nd day home and hopefully he will recover well. :-)

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 5 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 5 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 190 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 277 views