I AM 3 DAYS POST OP, TOO!

Ready2goNOW
on 10/17/15 8:36 am

Hello Everyone!

Like Wendi I also had my surgery late afternoon on the 14th. I was discharged about 4pm last night and had a blissful, pain-free sleep! No IV stand tethering me or other hook-ups. I don't have to pee every hour due to the fluids they were giving me...untangling myself so many times the 2nd night just to use the bathroom got old fast!

And by the way I had the corner room in out hospital new bariatric wing. Private room which was huge, but I gotta tell you the toilet was SO big a nuclear bomb would not have blown that thing up. It will probably be there 100 years from now AFTER they blow up the building!

Anyhow, I only have had a few passing moments of nausea and my pain so far is minimal and more like a periodic pinching. I can deal with that! I may be in the honeymoon phase where I am so relieved I made it through the surgery and coming home I am not feeling much!

I was thrilled I lost 76 pounds pre-op. I am hoping another 75 and I should be around goal weight. I am anxious to see how I do. I can only have clear liquids the first week...not protein shakes, but I am so sick of them from pre-op that will give me a breather. I just hope I don't get weak.

They told me not to SIT for longer than 45 minutes at a time to avoid blood clots. I don't know if that includes napping. I am walking around the house for now, but hope to venture outside soon.

Wendi, we are surgery buddies so need to compare notes as well as see how Suzy does.

I am SO thankful for this site!

Kathy

Billy D.
on 10/17/15 9:22 am

Wow, 76 lbs pre-op. That is wonderful. I had a two week pre-op and lost about 7 lbs and was happy with that. I was told to keep active but I don't think that means a nap but I'm not a doctor. Clear liquids is not fun, but time will fly. I feel so much better now on the 10th day. Sleeping was the problem for me, still is but is much better. At day 4 I was laying down and clear mucous was coming up, I was told that was nothing to worry about. I think that you must have great willpower yuo have lost 76 lbs before so I bet you will have no problems at all getting to your goal..Good luck!

Ready2goNOW
on 10/17/15 11:18 am

Hi Billy!

don't know about willpower...I was never able to lose weight before nor could I even stay on a diet longer than a few days...

I think a few things made a difference this time. 1st, I got diagnosed with both cancer and a heart condition about 2 years ago in addition to other obesity related health risks. Last Fall/Winter I could barely walk I was so out of breath. I was scared! 2nd, I had to go to 6 months of nutrition classes and learned a lot. I continued eating what I loved minus the cheese curls, sweet tea and 3rd helpings. I found I was satisfied. I swam and/or walked almost everyday last summer.

I had a few relapses, but found that eating unhealthy made me feel like CRAP...like last winter. I really enjoyed eating better.

you have lost a good amount for the time frame. take it slow...this is not a race. I am old so I can say that...lol! they told me to cough...phlegm is getting the anesthesia out of your system. I am not hungry...yet, so the clear fluids don't bother me for now.

post often..

this board is awesome!

Kathy

psychoticparrot
on 10/17/15 12:05 pm

Congrats on coming through your surgery with flying colors. If you feel weak in the next few weeks, it won't be because you're not getting enough food. It will be from the after-effects of the surgery and anesthesia. I'm almost 9 months post-op and in my 60s. After my surgery, it took me weeks till I felt a spark of energy returning. After that, I felt like I was losing years as well as pounds. I feel better now than at any time in my 50s.

Sounds like you've got this in the bag! Hope your recovery continues without incident (other than weight loss).

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

suzyq584
on 10/17/15 12:22 pm

Yay! I'm so happy to see your post! Welcome home!!

Glad to hear you are feeling well and everything has been a breeze so far.

Keep me updated!!

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

Ready2goNOW
on 10/17/15 1:52 pm

Thanks Suzy!

I am glad to have the surgery behind me and to move on to the next stage of my 'new' life!

I am continuing to follow your progress! Keep up the good work!

Kathy

Shel25
on 10/17/15 2:53 pm

Enjoy the journey. You are off to a great start!

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

LS2dv8
on 10/18/15 6:35 am

Congrats! That is fantasti****ep it up and keep moving

LS2DV8

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views