Next Stage! YIPPEE!!

suzyq584
on 10/20/15 9:15 am

Yesterday I had my 2 week post op appointment with my surgeon (a few days early for scheduling reasons). He said I am doing great, my incisions look fantastic (comment on his own work? hahaha), and I CAN PROGRESS TO THE NEXT FOOD STAGE!!!

I'm so excited to actually EAT something and not have to drink so much. I'm so excited for flavor! With this however; comes a few questions:

1. It seems as though it is going to be more difficult to get in my protein during this phase. I'm assuming I will still have to supplement with darn protein shakes (which I am so sick of!) True? Any hints on getting in enough protein with food?

2. I still don't feel restriction. This may change on this stage if I actually eat protein. Is this something I should look for and/or should I continue to measure my foods? (I'm going to assume a big YES on the measuring question).

3. Should I still shoot for 2 oz at a time during this stage?

4. I have never over done it so don't know what it feels to over do it or to feel full. Based on all the comments I've read, I will know this FOR SURE when I hit it correct?

Thank you for all of your advice! I'm going to the grocery store today to re-stock my supplies with new and exciting mushy foods! The Baked Ricotta is on my list to make.

Thanks again!

~Suzy

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/20/15 9:29 am
RNY on 08/05/19

You won't feel restriction for a while yet-- everything is still healing. And no, you WON'T know when you're full right now. I didn't feel anything at least 2 months, so absolutely measure. Heck, weigh and measure when you're in maintenance.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Neesie57
on 10/20/15 9:44 am
VSG on 08/04/15

You should be eating about 2 ounces or ¼ cup of food at this stage. I definitely started feeling restriction when I started eating real food. Keep good track of your protein with My Fitness Pal, or some other app that works for you.

It may be more difficult, at first, to get your protein in, but you will get used to it and develop a routine that will make it second nature. Keep high protein snacks on hand, like string cheese, Greek yogurt and eggs on hand to help you get it all in.

Good luck!!

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Dan1962
on 10/20/15 9:52 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Congradulations on making it to the next phase. Here are some answers to your questions.

1) I didn't find it to be difficult to get the protein in. I never ate mashed potatoes or anyhting like that even early on. My leals snacks everything was all about protein. I HATED those shakes but had to live with them. I used the Unjury plain or chicken broth and added some chicken to them for one of those Bumble Bee packets. I also used the Bumble Bee salmon packets (about half) with poached egg for breakfast.

2) Forget about the restriction for a while. it will come eventually and even today (13 months out) I don't use it. I still measure today whenever possible.

3) My plan called for 2-3 oz at this stage. If you the least bit uncomfortable, stop.

4) Yes you will. The best way I can describe it it it literally feels like my stomach is ful and food is piling up into my throat.

Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/15 2:42 pm

Blended food is great. since Monday I've eaten two cans of chili and last night I started on a potato and sausage casserole that kind of turned out like gravy when it left the blender. Delicious, delicious gravy.

I definitely feel restriction. It feels like things are getting stuck in my chest and I've had to really water down my purees to get my 1/4 cup meals finished in 20-30 minutes. It kind of sucks, honestly. Even though the food is really good I get tired of eating. I know that will go away eventually though, but my doc wants me to increase how much I eat so I get my energy levels up.

I'm still doing a protein shake and I honestly thing I'm just going to keep doing it for a long time. I can't imagine any other way to get even close to 80g of protein. I'm probably only getting 50g per day right now even with the shake but my nutritionist said not to worry about it until five weeks after surgery.

Tonight I think I'll make spaghetti.

I've definitely changed the way I cook though--lots more protein in the mix. Usually I'd cook with 1/3 or 1/4 protein and the rest carbs now I'm aiming for at least half protein. Makes some stuff a bit odd but that's the game now forever, right?

One thing that's helped me are the little tiny condiment sized Tupperware containers. Filling them up most of the way is a little over 1/4 cup, so it's a very convenient way to get all my food in a bag and take it to work.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/22/15 4:52 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Not for nothing, but it seems that you might be eating a carb heavy diet. I can't imagine eating a casserole that contains potatoes or spaghetti that soon after surgery.

Just because you can put them in a blender and pulverize it doesn't mean it's the best choice for you. Did your surgeon's office give you any type of food plan, such as what to avoid?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/15 6:40 pm

Yes, I have a plan from my surgeon's office and what I'm eating is in that plan.

Having said that, I wasn't really looking for diet advice, but I know you're just trying to be helpful so I appreciate your concern! :)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/22/15 8:41 pm, edited 10/22/15 1:42 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Glad that you took my comments in the spirit in which they were intended.

But I just have to ask, spaghetti is acceptable in your surgeon's post op eating plan? I've never heard of this before, so I'm curious.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/15 9:20 pm

Yes.

Grim_Traveller
on 10/23/15 12:24 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It sounds like your surgeon's plan is horrible. Pasta is all carbs and empty calories. You should really be making every calorie count at this stage, and pasta is about as far from that ideal as you can get.

Most surgeons know diddly about nutrition. Most dieticians know nothing about what good nutrition is for us, either. Eating pasta of any kind is just going to make you crave more crap.

Nutritionally, there is almost no difference between pasta and a twinkie.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 91 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views