2 month update... Victories, Gripes, and more

jamrodriguez
on 9/30/15 12:00 pm

Hello friends! 

Today is my 2 month surgiversary! First of all I want to say a huge thank you to all of your for your immense support and the endless hours of smiles and commiseration you've provided me with. 

Here's ma stats, yo:

Consult/highest weight: 366 (51.0 BMI)

Surgery weight: 328

Current weight: 288 (40.2 BMI)

Next goal: No longer "morbidly" obese... technically almost there for BMI, but some definitions also state it could mean "more than 100 lbs overweight", so for me that goal will be 277.

Ultimate goal: still have no clue. I'm just focusing on my journey right now, and trying not to obsess about the destination.

Victories so far:

- Pants size has gone from 22 to 16

- Shirt/dress size has gone from 28 to 24 (I carry most of my weight in my torso)

- I can now run 3 minutes/0.25 mile non-stop (when I started it was 30-45 seconds)

- All my favorite tshirts that I've hoarded since high school now fit again! Hello "Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor" shirt! It's been a while!

- In general, I am starting to feel more flexible, energized, and overall healthy. I used to feel my vital organs squish into my ribs when I bent over, and now I don't. Talk about an NSV, right?!

Gripes:

- I think I may have lost at least half of my weight in titmeat. I've gone down 2 cup sizes and a band size. 

- I'm so droopy everywhere! Not only my boobs, which are definitely super droopy. But also all my fat is less... full I guess. I feel ultra jiggly all the time. And I'm so broke from paying my enormous Care Credit payments that I've been too cheap to suck it up and buy some Spanx.

- I still have about $3800 left to pay off my surgery, at a disgusting interest rate. 

- Although for the most part, I don't regret telling all my friends/family/coworkers about my surgery, I hate that every time they see me they ask, "how much are you down now?". Its like its the only thing interesting about me. I don't mind talking about my surgery, in fact often I'm glad to have the opportunity to talk about it IRL (not just here), but sometimes I feel like its my whole identity. Like when a woman has her first child she's suddenly become just "a mom", like the person she was before didn't exist. I've become "the weight loss girl". Its a little annoying. 

- Sometimes I do miss the convenience of eating crappy. I can't just hit a drive through while I'm out running errands, and before I decide to go to eat out anywhere I have to research the menu online first, and often become frustrated when there aren't any good options for me, and sometimes that leads to self-deprecating or self-loathing feelings. Its something I'm working on, but its a hard road.

I'm really excited for the road ahead. I'm doing my first 5K in November, and hubby and I have an awesome camping/hiking trip planned in November, as well. Plus, I have an ADORABLE Halloween costume I can't wait to wear! It's going to comtinue to be an amazing journey. I'm so thankful and so happy to have made this decision. 

Love you all!

Jill

iloveravens
on 9/30/15 12:22 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

I laughed out loud at titmeat.  

Sounds like you're doing great.  Congrats on a successful 2 months.  Good job!

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Grim_Traveller
on 9/30/15 1:35 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Me too. Must be the other, other white meat.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

jamrodriguez
on 9/30/15 5:36 pm

They are also very white.

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/15 12:46 pm

Great update! 

In just a few months you will be able to eat anything at a restaurant. You'll then be faced with making the right choices! There are very few places that I can't find something I'd like to eat when I go out. I won't go to pasta places anymore, though. There is usually NOTHING I can find that works in places like that. 

Ready2goNOW
on 9/30/15 4:04 pm

Jill,

You're doing a great job!

Also had to laugh at the 'titmeat!' I've lost 65 pounds pre-op and I swear 50 are from there...and I didn't have much there to begin with!

Keep it up!

Kathy

White Dove
on 10/1/15 7:46 am - Warren, OH

Great post.  One day everyone will adjust to your new weight and you will sometimes miss hearing all the remarks.  You are having a great adventure.  I wish you continued success.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

FuturePinUp
on 10/1/15 1:31 pm

Dude! We have very similar starting weights and current stats! Your victories are awesome and it sounds like you are doing great!! As much as I don't want to add to the stigma of weight loss surgery, the reason you mentioned was one of the many that made me decide to tell only a handful of people. Also, I totally feel you about feeling more...jiggly. Ugh. Still worth it!!

Congrats!!! 

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

jamrodriguez
on 10/2/15 2:58 pm

That's awesome! Thanks for the support. Jiggle twins!