Crazy?!

suzyq584
on 9/17/15 8:37 pm

Hi,

Am I crazy because I'm more worried about the 2 week liquid pre-op diet then I am about the actual surgery or the life changes afterwards?  I start it a week from today and I am just so worried that I'm not going to be able to stick with the pre-op diet and I CAN'T fail!!!!

Ugh...thanks for listening

~Suzy

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

Neesie57
on 9/17/15 8:43 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I guess I looked at it differently than you are.  To me, I was so anxious to start the liquid diet, because it meant that I was going to get the surgery very soon, and my new life would begin.  You can't cheat, because you just can't.  Keep in mind that you are almost there and it will go by a lot faster.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

FuturePinUp
on 9/18/15 9:19 am

That is exactly how I thought about it and it kept me strict. I also knew the 2-week liquid diet was for my benefit. I really wanted my surgery and didn't want to be turned away and rescheduled because I didn't follow it and they couldn't operate.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Debbie_04
on 9/17/15 9:10 pm
VSG on 12/29/14

Suzy, you can do it!  It is for the Best of your life!  Those two weeks will help you transtion into your post surgery routine.  Just remember why you are doing it.

My liquid diet was 5 weeks during Thanksgiving and Christmas and I did it!  Have faith in yourself!

Age 66... VSG 12/29/14... H.W. 360...  S.W. 323...  C.W. 253

(deactivated member)
on 9/17/15 9:15 pm

Nope, I think it's normal. Many people have food funerals before the liquid diet. With the thinking that you are going to change your eating habits comes the all or nothing thinking that so many of us obese people have, like, "I can never eat such and such again - EVER!" What that means is if I don't become a poster child for perfect eating I will be a failure.

Fear of the liquid diet is pretty much the same in my book. One feels to have had so many experiences of not being able to maintain long term discipline (which really isn't true for any of us...) that this too is something at which we will fail.

Keep your eye on the prize. The first three days will suck. But once you get through those first three days, it becomes much easier from most reports. (I only had to do 1 full day of clear liquids - but had to lose 20 pounds before surgery was even scheduled. Not sure which is harder - losing the weight through dieting or the liquid diet for two weeks before hand. I do remember being grateful that my liquid diet was only a day!)

You can do this. No problem!

Sandra F.
on 9/18/15 6:00 am

You are certainly not crazy or alone in this.  I definitely felt that way right before my pre-op diet.  And since you have been on this site, you probably know that the pre-op diet and first 4 weeks after surgery are the hardest that you will go through, so that must be in your thoughts as well, but you can do this.  I'm not going to lie; I cheated on my pre-op, but I don't recommend that.  Good luck to you!  You got this!

cappy11448
on 9/18/15 6:24 am

It might help to go low carb before the liquid diet, as it is the carb cravings that are the WORST to overcome.  If you give up all sweets, pasta, bread and potatoes, etc now, you will be over the worst of it by the time the liquid diet starts.  Track everything you eat, and keep carbs as low as you can.  For my weight loss phase I tried to keep carbs under 25  per day.  But even cutting to 40 /day would be great.  That means that most carbs come from dairy and low-carb veggies. 

You'll have to white-knuckle it the first few days, but it will be easier breaking the carb monster when you can eat solids.

best of luck,

You can do it!

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Lissa_ND
on 9/18/15 3:21 pm
VSG on 09/02/15

Suzy you got this! You aren't crazy, everyone has one area of this whole process they are most worried about. I won't tell you the two weeks are easy, they are not. My advice is take this week and start cutting out carbs now... will help with cravings during the two weeks plus you will lose some weight! If you plan on a couple (last dinners) that's fine but besides those cut those carbs! My roommate, was nice enough to plan out meals for the first week and cooked them up the day before I started my liquids. The second week she had a cook day again and it was torture haha. Just remember this is for your surgery to go smoother and it's only two weeks! It goes by faster then you might think. YOU GOT THIS

Age 37 starting weight 301lbs, 5'6. VSG and Gallbladder removal September 2nd 2015

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 281 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 334 views