Post-Op changes in food

Luisa728
on 9/15/15 11:33 am

Hello Everyone,

I continue to come to this site because of all the love & support I receive is amazing! I am only 6 days away from getting surgery. Yikes!!

However, I was wondering what foods people couldn't tolerate after surgery? What foods did you love to eat & after surgery just smelling it made you want to puke? I've already heard about the yogurt & dairy products but is there anything else some of you just could not stand after having your surgery? I'm WAS a sweet tooth addict; was anyone just like me & after surgery no longer liked anything sweet? 

Just wondering guys/gals thanks for advice or information you may have!

My best,

Luisa

mmsmom
on 9/15/15 11:54 am - Woburn, MA

I could not bear the thought of another protein drink - and people live on them for years after surgery.  Thank goodness my surgeon said I could move to greek yogurt.  I haven't had a shake since!!  Also, I could not tolerate sugar for many months - like 8 or so after surgery.  It would go right through me with cramps and ugly stomach issues.  It was sort of a blessing as it kept me on track.  Even now, I can only eat foods with sugar if there is already something else in my stomach to stop down the digestion.  Thus, with limited capacity, it has not been a bad thing.  I had a tough time with fi**** sat in my stomach very uncomfortably for several months also.  It's all trial and error - and sticking strictly to your program.  Good luck.  You will love it!

VSG on 04/28/2014

Luisa728
on 9/15/15 12:10 pm

Thank you so much!!! 

Bensmom812
on 9/15/15 11:58 am

Hi Luisa!

I cant't answer your question because I'm in the same boat as you--My surgery will be on the 21st.

I'm also wondering what my process will be like. Some people seem to never be hungry again, others continue to struggle. Some shed the weight in months--others plateau...I'm so excited and so nervous and hoping to have the "miracle" experience---where its a smooth and super successful journey.  

Today I'm obsessing over hair loss....I really, really don't want mine to fall out. After (too much) research I chose a liquid Biotin on Amazon... 

Wishing you lots of luck getting answers to your questions and most of all, on your surgery :)

Dina

Luisa728
on 9/15/15 12:25 pm

Hello Dina,

Congratulations on getting this far & on having surgery on the 21st. Our lives are gonna change on the same day!! How amazing is that!! I definitely have the excitement & nervousness building but I'm so committed that I feel more happiness & joy about the whole experience! & yes it worries me a little that everyones stories are all over the board you can't really know what your story will be until you go through it! :) But we've got this if you are determined nothing can stop you. Our miracle has already happened. Just having the opportunity to have this surgery to be able to change our lives is a miracle! :) & when it comes to the hair loss as long as you have been taking your multi-vitamins you will be fine. That's what I was fearful of & I've been preparing myself my taking my multi-vitamins religiously! 

I also wish you the best of luck on your surgery & I know you are gonna kick this fat in the butt & you will reach your goals in no time!! :) :) 

Best,

Luisa

FuturePinUp
on 9/15/15 12:10 pm

I am almost 3 months post-op and I have had no issues with tolerating anything, and my preferences haven't changed at all. I was on soft solid foods starting Day 2 in the hospital and have read that may have helped me tolerate everything better. I never had a sweet tooth so that doesn't bother me, and I haven't eaten anything really off-plan since surgery so maybe once I have more carbs, I may have a problem...but I really doubt it at this rate. One thing I can say for sure is that I have more of a sensitivity to "artificial food," like anything with non-natural sweetners or things like pre-packaged dinners, etc. I used to love that stuff and now? No longer.

It's crazy how different everyone's post-op plans and tolerance are!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Luisa728
on 9/15/15 12:31 pm

Hello,

Thank you for replying to my post! & yes how crazy almost everyone has a different story! But that's what I love it gives me a diverse look into this surgery & journey. I'm actually not allowed solid foods until 4 weeks post op. So my journey will definitely be different from yours but thank you for telling us how you tolerated foods after. I'm planning on just sticking to what my doctor says but let's see how my body reacts.

Luisa

FuturePinUp
on 9/15/15 12:45 pm

Definitely stick with your individual plan. My soft solids on Day 2 was 100% medical team approved (I got tuna salad in the hospital). I have yet to eat something I am/was not allowed to.

Even if you have a different post-op food plan, you may still find you tolerate things exactly the same way as before. My friend who was on liquids for 3 weeks post-op never had issues re-introducing any food. Your relationship with food changes, and there's no more physical hunger, but you may find your likes and dislikes are exactly the same - you're just better at controlling them! 

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Mary B.
on 9/15/15 12:19 pm - AZ
VSG on 04/23/15

I'm almost 5 months out and have had no issues with any food. 

Please don't stress yourself out over what may or may not apply to you.  Everyone is different in their food tolerance just like everyone's weight loss pattern is different.  You'll only know when you get there.

I hope you're journey goes as well as mine.

Age 63, HW 289, SW 273

sistah3
on 9/15/15 12:33 pm

Because I am an odd duck (I think) I can't tolerate hummus anymore. At all. It makes my stomach ache and its just not worth it. Also I tried eating raw carrots a few weeks ago. Yep, that was a quick learning curve. An hour of painful vomiting. Not good.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views