Start Liquid Diet in Just Over a Week!

suzyq584
on 9/14/15 10:39 am

My plan requires me to be on a strict liquid only diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery.  Since my surgery date is October 8th, I start the liquid diet a week from Thursday.  As this date gets closer and closer, I worry more and more about being able to follow the plan.  I'm not so much worried about the surgery or the life after surgery but instead worried about my ability to adhere to those 2 weeks prior to getting my sleeve. 

What helped you stay on track?  Any thoughts, ideas, etc... are more than welcome! 

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

Tracy S.
on 9/14/15 10:41 am

I gave myself full run of the protein drinks.  I had 4 a day and when I had to put something in my mouth it was chicken broth or sugar free Popsicles.  I started before the 2 weeks with protein drinks for breakfast and lunch so that it was really only dinner that I had to replace food for.  I think that really helped ease me into it.  Good luck!!

FuturePinUp
on 9/14/15 1:28 pm

I also had to do 2 weeks of strict liquids. What really kept me going was knowing that this part was harder than the diet after surgery. I knew if I could do this, I could adhere to my plan post-op. I also had a pretty tight routine down and it really kept me from straying. I didn't cheat at all, even while cooking for hubby.

I had protein shakes 4x a day, then I would have fat-free broth for dinner, with lots of seasoning (which made me feel like I was actually eating), and a sugar-free pudding for dessert (I was allowed one a day). Every other day I would also have a sugar-free popsicle. I also drank a lot of Diet Snapple and Vitamin Water Zero in place of coffee.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Sunshine411
on 9/14/15 3:28 pm

I'm finishing my week up...today...surgery tomorrow...I have had. 3-4 protein drinks a day all 64 oz of water and sf Popsicle or chicken broth with garlic powder,salt n pepper a couple of days.  Really wasn't that hard at all..I was so dreading no food but I've been cooking and preparing meals and lunches for family with no problem.  I think the protein really keeps you full and all the water.  You will do fine I just told myself one day at a time and I weighted every morning which motivated me to keep on it cause I dropped everyday on scales.  Good luck...you got this. 

Smallbites2015
on 9/14/15 10:28 am, edited 9/14/15 10:34 am

I felt the same way you do but I managed to stick to it I did 5 shakes a day , all the chicken broth, water and  that I could manage .

I think after the first three days were the roughest I was tired I was grouchy and just ready for to be over. I can say to the whole process I was actually never hungry  and that really surprised me . It was over before I know it in my surgery date had arrived .

Fast-forward two months later and now you have a different set of issues but is well worth it .

You can do it have confidence in  yourself ---short term discomfort for a long time satisfaction !

Sasha2014
on 9/14/15 7:20 pm
VSG on 09/21/15

One of the things that helped me was, to stay active and being out and about!!!

I also pack my lunch and drink lots of water.

I bought WHEY PROTEIN SHOTS ( 42 grams per shot) and I mix it in my H2O on the GO jug ( 74.4 oz). I drink 1 one of those per day.

OH and I look at before and after pictures on this website!!!

Jessicaellison74
on 9/17/15 2:30 am - Lutherville, MD

i am also dreading the 2 week liquid diet i dont have it for 6 more months but right now each month i am going to buy 20 bucks worth of protein powder and have that for breakfast and a snack lunch and dinner are both high protein low carbs so i stay full longer 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 313 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views