Question for those who have had hiatal hernia repair in conjunction with the sleeve.

yesican2
on 8/18/15 8:49 am

My husband had his EGD today (I go next week) and they found a hiatal hernia, which I know is not unusual.  He also has gastritis and the doctor took some biopsies to look for H. Pylori.

Did the hernia repair add additional recovery time for you, or additional pain?  We plan on having our surgeries 4 weeks apart, and I'm even thinking about 6 weeks now because we have a 2 year old.  I'm wondering if we'll need to pu**** back any further.

We have both recovered well from surgeries in the past-gallbladder for both of us and a C-section for me.

Thoughts?

Arlene Morris
on 8/18/15 8:58 am
VSG on 07/28/15

Almost everyone I know personally that has had a WLS has had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time. I had my on a Tuesday and went back to work the following Monday. 

GBridges
on 8/18/15 9:30 am

I had the hiatal hernia repair along with my VSG on 6/16/15 and has had NO problems.  Feeling Great!

mickeymantle
on 8/18/15 9:37 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it took the same time but pushing it back might be smart you will not be able to lift more than 10 lb for 6 weeks minimum

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Mary B.
on 8/18/15 9:51 am - AZ
VSG on 04/23/15

Check with your surgeon on the lifting restriction.  I had a 20 pound restriction.

Age 63, HW 289, SW 273

Godlychick
on 8/18/15 12:19 pm

I had myEGD today and surgeons said hernia was bigger than expected, and we would talk later?? I hope I don't have to go to bypass , I was sedated but feel that's were he was going

yesican2
on 8/18/15 1:01 pm

I hope everything goes well for you.

yesican2
on 8/18/15 1:00 pm

Thank you, everyone!

E_Saenz
on 8/18/15 9:38 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I too had a hiatal hernia repair at the time I had my sleeve done it was fine I recovered the same with the repair as i would have without it.

Elia Maria Saenz

boudiceatx
on 8/19/15 5:20 pm

Pretty smooth sailing for me.  I had mild pain in my left clavicle area post surgery, but it wasn't bad enough to take pain meds for it.  My surgeon told me it was referred pain, was common with hiatal hernia repair, and it would go away.  I still notice a slight twinge in my shoulder occasionally but it has almost resolved.