Another Question from Me!

suzyq584
on 8/5/15 7:23 pm

What determines a Dr.'s success rate after surgery?  I've read some Dr.'s patients far exceed the 50% - 60% I've read.  Is there a differing range of how much of the stomach is removed and does that relate to the amount of weight lost? 

frisco
on 8/5/15 8:09 pm

Some are not going to agree with this.... but, it's what I know as the truth.

Smaller capacity is more effective....both in WL and maintenance.

And before the peanut galley chimes in.... Yes, if you eat crap with any WLS you will be less successful and/or fail. Common sense.

My surgeon dosen't really set up his VSG for WL, he sizes it for eventual long term capacity. Along with that he provides the surrounding education and tools with an aim at the 5 year and after markers. By doing this the WL percentage is very high. I've been at support group and look around to see 15 people at 100% EWL.

Maintaining is hard, maintaining can get boring, maintaining is much much harder if you can eat more.... very simple.

Are you doomed if you have a larger capacity??? NO !!! is it harder..... probably yes.

In the end, it's really not about the WL, it's more about keeping the weight off that you lost.

Agree or disagree.... it's fine. We all just have to put our best foot forward and show some commitment and compliance. Is it a "diet"...... you bet it is... or call it what you want..... a lifestyle is a great way not to say diet but means the same thing. I like ice cream more than broccoli but my lifestyle says I should eat the broccoli. 

Hope this helps !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

suzyq584
on 8/6/15 1:12 pm

Frisco, do you know how much he takes off or leaves in (however they measure that?!)  ?

frisco
on 8/9/15 3:49 am

32f bougie sizing tool.

The thing is, never ask a surgeon to go smaller. Smaller sleeves are much harder to make.

If you want a smaller sleeve, go to a surgeon who does them with a very low complication rate.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

E_Saenz
on 8/5/15 8:33 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Frisco is right you can have the tenitinest pouch but if you don't follow doctor's orders you will fail.  I'm just praying I'm strong to avoid junk in the future.

Elia Maria Saenz

Tracy D.
on 8/6/15 8:06 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Don't pray about being strong enough to avoid the junk food (well, pray if you must) - but get some other tools into place now to help you with this.  Find healthy substitute foods, get into an Overeater's Anonymous group, get a few sessions with a therapist who specializes in eating disorders.  

Don't just expect the desire for junk food to go away - it won't.  It may SEEM like that in the beginning but it's an illusion.  The desire will come roaring back, especially if you start "dabbling" in crappy carbs that don't even quality as junk ie. crackers, bread, pasta, etc. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

poplargreys
on 8/5/15 8:35 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I think success rates have more to do with patient education and support, both before and long after surgery, than they do with how much of the stomach is removed. My group is extremely supportive and encourages lifelong support group attendance, offers seminars on a wide variety of subject ranging from diet to relationships to addiction and behavioral counseling. 

I have a sister in law that went through a different program than I did, and aside from one meeting with the surgeon and dietician and a 12 month gym pass, her clinic didn't give her any guidelines for food or excercise, or offer support groups or counseling options. While this type of program may work for some people, I felt more comfortable choosing a group that offered more long-term support for its patients as I feel we have a better chance at lifelong success due to the ongoing education and motivation we receive  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/5/15 9:04 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

The bottom line is compliance. If you have a sleeve that holds 2 oz or 3 oz, it's not likely to make a huge difference in the long run. What WILL make a difference is what you eat and how you think about food after surgery.

No matter how big your sleeve, you can still graze on cookies or drink milkshakes all day, pack on the calories, and gain weight. But if you hold yourself accountable for what you eat, continue to push protein and fluids, and get moving, you're far more likely to be successful.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

suzyq584
on 8/6/15 8:14 am

I guess one of my biggest concerns is that I do all this, pay over $17,000 because I'm a self-pay patient and I end up unhappy with the surgery, regretting the surgery and/or not losing weight!  I have to make my decision on which surgeon to go to because I have to get scheduled if I want my surgery in October.  Gun-shyness is definitely hitting me!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 91 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views