One year surgiversary + gallstones??

ElizaM
on 7/24/15 6:42 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

I was all ready to type up my anniversary post when I doubled over at my desk in searing pain. Ridiculous pain in my right abdomen underneath my ribcage, worse when I breathed, radiating up to my shoulder. I called my primary care doctor who said "No nausea or vomiting? Then apply a heating pad and if it's not better in 2 hours, go to the ER." The GI version of "Take two aspirin and call me in the morning." Well, I applied three heating pads (two of them being my kitties) and in an hour and a half, the pain was mostly gone.

(I pretend it's because they love me and not because they love heating pads sooooo muuuuuch.)

They didn't say so but I'm thinking this sounds like gallstones. I'm not sure what to do--do I follow up with my doctor? Do I wait for it to happen again? Blerg.

ANYWAY. Short version of anniversary post: it's been a phenomenal year. I didn't dare to dream I would get to this weight, and I couldn't conceive of all the great things I'm able to do. I'm scared of maintenance. Eggface said it best: the balloons don't fall from the ceiling when you hit your goal. You just have to keep going. 

"Just keep swimming..."

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

MissNexxie
on 7/24/15 7:21 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

Congrats on your surgiversary! What a great accomplishment!  

Sorry to hear about the pain. Sounds like it could be your gallbladder - you definitely need to follow up with your doctor and hopefully get an ultrasound to confirm. I had to have mine out in April almost exactly a year after my VSG. I did not have nausea or vomitting and in fact my pain was centred under my sternum. Not typical yet when I had the ultrasound they found "a bag of rocks". Pain episodes got more frequent for me and progressively got worse and lasted longer so you want to get it looked at sooner rather than later. Err on the side of caution. The surgery was easier than the vsg.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

E_Saenz
on 7/24/15 7:26 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

That can be serious and cause you to hurt your pancreas very important you seek medical attention if you don't feel better fast. 

Elia Maria Saenz

E_Saenz
on 7/24/15 7:29 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

By the way Great job on your weight loss you look phenominal I'll be joining you on the losers bemch next month the 12Th of August.

Elia Maria Saenz

Shel25
on 7/25/15 9:01 am

The wait and see approach is pretty common in this situation, I think, particularly without the nausea/vomiting.  The thing that might tip me to go to the doctor at this point is that you have just gone thru rapid weight loss which (I think) is particularly associated with gall bladder disease.  So, maybe higher yield to actually find gall bladder disease. 

For me, the time between 1st and 2nd gall bladder attacks was about 6 years. 

The first one sent me to the emergency room from work (I never get sick, I never miss work.)   But, by the time they got to me, the attack was over so I went home with no work up. When I saw my PCP in follow up, she just noted that it was just some "weird thing" and advised that we take a wait and see approach.  Like a poster above, the location of my pain was atypical so I don't think it was broadcasting "gall bladder" and I had no nausea/vomiting. 

The second attack 6 years later also sent me to ER.  After that, I would have an attack every few weeks/months but as horrible as it was at the time, the attacks were all self limiting so I stopped going to ER and started having it worked up.  

My gallbladder showed "sludge" which isn't so obviously related to gall bladder attacks and again the location of pain was atypical so even GI doc was unsure it gall bladder was root cause.  I also saw cardiology who ruled out cardiovascular disease. 

Eventually I had it taken out (easy surgery) and all has been fine since then.  

Good luck, if it is gall bladder those attacks can be pretty severe and every single one made me wonder if I was going to die. 

Congratulations on 1 year --- sending virtual balloons your way. 

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

psychoticparrot
on 7/25/15 10:55 am, edited 7/25/15 10:55 am

Wow! What a coincidence. Sechax0r just posted yesterday about having a severe gall bladder attack at 8 months post-op. I believe all sleevers run a significant risk of gall bladder trouble. Here's his post:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/5364381/A-little-healt h-setback/

Hope you feel better soon.

psychoticparrot

robinreinhardt
on 7/25/15 6:49 pm

Eliza,

I worry about that too! Good thing you have those adorable kittens. Yes go to the emergency room if it get's too bad. Congratulations on your anniversary.

Love to you,

Robin

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views