Husband and I scheduled for endoscopies same day...and we have a 2 year old...bad...

yesican2
on 7/10/15 8:10 am

Anyone?  Endos are in the morning and he can be in daycare up to 6pm.  Think we should be capable of taking care of him?  I'm wondering how long it takes for the sedation to wear off.

psychoticparrot
on 7/10/15 8:33 am

As long as you have someone to drive you both home and someone to pick up your child, you should be fine to take care of him/her in the evening. The only thing your doctor will tell you is not to operate heavy machinery (i.e. cars) or make important decisions (i.e. like buying a car) for 24 hours after the procedure.

The sedation feels like it wears off in a matter of an hour or two, but it can linger on for that 24 hours. Don't drive!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

gwen41539
on 7/10/15 8:35 am - kimper, KY

I think it will be according to how.fast the Dr gets you out of to recovery sometimes I have went in for.a.procedure and it be scheduled for 8 am and then it get pushed back till 12 or 2 if all goes well and you are out by 12 then I think you should be fine to pick him.up by 6 you won't feel.great but you can struggle through till bedtime ...but if anything goes.wrong you could.be setting yourself up for.trouble 

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/10/15 9:44 am
RNY on 08/05/19

When I had my endoscope, it was like taking a nap after having a Xanax. I was groggy when I came out of it, but just fine a few hours later.

Do you have a babysitter or friend/family member you can have on backup, just in case the sedative**** you harder than you expect? It would be good to have a plan in case you're too wiped to keep an eye on him, even though it's not likely.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

yesican2
on 7/10/15 10:54 am

I thought about that too, the possibility of having the procedure pushed back.  As it is, I was told they start at 9:30.

Good idea about the back up caregiver plan.  I know we could get someone to help us if necessary.  We have an extra carseat in case someone else had to pick him up.

Thanks!

Hislady
on 7/10/15 5:25 pm - Vancouver, WA

I agree that you will probably feel ok just tired but driving is a no no till the next day so I would have someone else pick the little guy up from day care and bring him home. You would feel terrible if anything happened even if it weren't your fault, accidents happen all the time and usually at the worst times. So just make sure someone else does the driving and the rest should be fine.

Valerie G.
on 7/14/15 4:38 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You will both be unable to pick him up for two months, or risk a hernia and another surgery to repair it.  Is that worth it?  Some people take several weeks to recover, while others snap back to themselves in a few days.  IMO, it's a big gamble.  Make sure you have plenty of backup just in case you have some complications.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes