My sleeve empty's out so fast

TanyaR
on 6/23/15 9:59 pm

I eat small portions and get full extremely fast but my stomach empty's out just as fast. This leaves me hungry and moody most of the day. I am one of the unlucky sleevers that never lost their appetite. No it is not head hunger, or acid I have fixed those issues. My body just gets rid of food really fast and my stomach functions real well. Any tips to help with this :(.

mickeymantle
on 6/23/15 10:44 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

when did you get your sleeve and are you eating solid protien  and not drinking with or after eating

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

changingmylife4ever
on 6/24/15 2:49 am

If you eat too fast, you will get that full feeling very fast and tends to pile up in your esophagus. Once the food goes on in your stomach, you will not be fill full any longer. At least, that is my experience. Slow down, eat protein first and you should feel full longer. Any time I eat too fast or fail to make sure my food is chewed up good, I get full very fast. When I eat slower, chew better, and eat my protein first, I stay full for hours. I also eat every 3 hours in my waking hours, once I eat breakfast. I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks. Protein has is always on top of my list.

mmsmom
on 6/24/15 4:13 am - Woburn, MA

I get full fast and it goes away too - dense protein, chewed really well and no liquids after should help.  Also with the sleeve stomachs make lots of noises and feelings and they aren't necessarily hunger - that being said, I'm lucky to be one who rarely feels hunger - and can't judge what you are feeling - (sorry to hear you still feel hunger :(   )

good luck and stick with it

VSG on 04/28/2014

rhon1017
on 6/24/15 5:15 am - Gastonia, NC

I feel the same way and I find myself snacking on protein every couple of hours, now I've been stalled for 2 weeks.

Its very frustrating.  I have never lost my appetite either, that's kinda why I wish I had went with RNY in lieu of VSG.

VSG on 04-08-15, Weight Day of Surgery 219, M1-15 lbs, M2-17 lbs, M3-10 lbs; M4-6

Tracy D.
on 6/24/15 8:20 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Everyone has a different rate of stomach-emptying.  I'm one of those who've always had super-fast stomach emptying times and I would get hungry very quickly.  But a lot of things I ate and behaviors I had made the problem worse. I've learned some tricks to fool my tummy into hanging onto the food a little longer.  You may already be doing these things but here are tips to slow down the stomach-emptying process;  

1.  Eat slowly - very slowly

2.  Eat dense protein first 

3.  Add a little fat to your meal - a couple nuts, a couple olives, a little olive oil, a little avocado.  Added fat slows down the stomach-emptying process.  Eat it with or after your protein. 

4.  Absolutely NO drinking 15 minutes before eating and NO drinking 60 minutes after eating.

5.  No white carbs or anything with sugar/flour - crackers, pasta, bread, biscuits, rice, etc.   

Good luck to you! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/24/15 10:37 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Are you on a PPI? Sometimes stomach acid mimics hunger.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

frisco
on 6/24/15 7:53 pm

The sleeve will "typically" clear in about half the time as a normal un-altered stomach.

Normal stomach about 90 minutes...... Sleeve about 45 minutes.

How do you do with chicken breast ?

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 296 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op