Riddle me this...

Kiwideb
on 6/3/15 8:44 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

I'm not perfect. I usually accomplish no snacking, low carbs and good liquid intake. But oh boy, some days the carbaholic hormone monster smacks me in to submission... (This continual hormone **** can go DIAF).

But why oh why do I succumb to the darn carb monster and lose weight!!??

In fact, I would swear a day of carb binging (or at least what now consider a carb binge in post vsg, low carb high protein diet terms) kick starts my stalls. 

Now obviously this a trap that would be bad to fall in to on a regular basis (hopefully a new iud will help the hormone issue some = less snack craving), and I don't need to be told to be careful. I only have to feel the post carb lethargy to know its not great for me on a regular basis. I'm a t2 diabetic, carbs are so not my friend.

What I would like to know is if anyone can lend an explanation as to why.

I have debated it might be my body's way of saying 'a few more calories please' or perhaps that I need a few more 'better carbs' to make the world a happier place.

Anyone have any thoughts?

It could be too, that I'm just absolutely be weird - it wouldn't be the first time...

TeressaJ
on 6/3/15 9:50 pm

Don't know why this happens but I, too, get smacked with these intense cravings at times, so intense I give in! I don't feel well afterward and usually only have water for several hours after indulging. I would love to know just what my body is trying to tell me.

Tracy D.
on 6/4/15 6:42 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Somebody once put a lengthy explanation on here about the exact phenomenon and it has to do with the liver, glycogen storage and excretion of excess water from the cells.  It's temporary, not "real" and only serves to make us feel better about the number on the scale when actually our liver has probably stored that carb as pure fat but the scale went down because of a water loss.  

It is NOT your body's way of saying "feed me" or "give me carbs".  And it IS a big, fat giant trap.  Don't fall for it.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Kiwideb
on 6/4/15 12:42 am
VSG on 01/19/15

Interesting, now you've given me somewhere to head to for info. Thanks!

I was pretty sure there must be a reason for it - not nec a good one - but it happened in such a way as to be noticeable to me to ask the question.

Laura in Texas
on 6/4/15 6:46 am

At 5 months out the surgery is doing all the work. I can just about guarantee this phenomenon will not last.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Tracy D.
on 6/4/15 9:29 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Isn't that the sad, sad truth! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/4/15 10:16 am

google carb cycling... 

and calorie cycling.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/4/15 10:25 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It's also entirely possible that it's a coincidence. If your body is stuck but was ready to start losing again, maybe it just happened to fall on the day after you had a sandwich! Or there could be other factors that just happen to coincide with the carbs (ToM, exercise patterns, phases of the moon...) and it only LOOKS like the carbs are making you lose.

Bodies are weird!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views