reaction to antibiotics

gayleann
on 5/14/15 10:07 am - Henderson, NV

I had a duodenal switch with gastric sleeve in 2010.  I have had to take two different kinds of oral antibiotics (the generics for Flagyl and Cipro) since then, and both times have had a reaction of burning nerve pain of the inner arms and torso.  I am trying to figure out if I am experiencing one of the side effects of the drugs or if the drugs are causing irritation of my gastric sleeve/small intestine which then manifests as burning nerve pain.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Please let me know.  Thanks.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/14/15 3:30 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Sounds scary! Easiest solution would be to call your surgeon's office. If you can't get info right away, you could also call your pharmacy, the pharmacist can tell you what side effects are "normal" and which ones fall into the "freaky-weird" category and would probably be surgery-related.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

gayleann
on 5/14/15 10:53 am - Henderson, NV

When I asked my surgeon about this, he had no idea if any of his other patients has had this problem.  So if no one else has brought this up to him, the answer is probably no.  I went to a gastroenterologist for a gastroscopy and colonoscopy, and he didn't see anything unusual.  Neuropathy is a rare side effect of both drugs, but having that reaction to two of them is even more unlikely.  It is scary.  Anyway, thanks for responding.  If you hear anything you think might be helpful, please let me know.  Take care.

mickeymantle
on 5/14/15 11:25 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

call your pcp and see if you can take a different drug my hubby gets very nausea  from cipro and will not take it if something else will work 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

gayleann
on 5/14/15 11:40 am - Henderson, NV

She has prescribed the generic for Augmentin which should be okay.  I'm just afraid to start it because I am still having burning (for whatever reason) from the generic Cipro I took on Monday.  Anyway, I will work myself up to trying it.  I did okay with the Bactrim generic, but the bladder infection came back so they don't want to prescribe it again.  I had a revision in 2014 so I am sending for medical records to see what antibiotics were used then and how they were given as I had no problem with any of them.  Maybe that will tell me something.  Thanks for responding.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views