Heard of LATE DUMPING SYNDROME?

brians34
on 4/6/15 2:18 am - Robinson, TX

I have discovered late dumping syndrome now.

Went to a nephew's birthday party last week and ate some cake and ice cream along with everyone else.

Few hours later at home, got to feeling very shaky, anxious, sweating profusely.

I'm not diabetic, wife has type 2 diabetes so we checked my blood sugar with her monitor and my blood sugar was at 39.

nursepatty66
on 4/6/15 5:14 am

I've heard of developing glucose intolerance which is when the body no long tolerate carbs and overcompensates for them.  Develop all the symptoms that you described... hypoglycemia, shaky, sweating, anxiety.  Perhaps another reason to limit simple sugars without balancing with protein?  Need to check it out with your doctor?

mmsmom
on 4/6/15 5:56 am - Woburn, MA

I've had exactly what you describe.  According to my nutritionist, make sure there is something in your stomach to slow down the digesting of the sugar.  I make sure I don't eat refined sugars unless it's right after a meal - it's a good way to limit how much of it you eat too.  

VSG on 04/28/2014

Grim_Traveller
on 4/6/15 6:10 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The more exact term for late dumping is reactive hypoglycemia, RH. It is NOT the same as hypoglycemia. It happens just the way you described it. Too much sugar or simple carbs, starches, bread, etc, raises your blood sugar and insulin response, which crashes your blood sugar a couple hours later.

Some figure that because their blood sugar is low, they need sugar, juice, etc, to raise it. Which it does, briefly, but then it crashes again with the next RH episode. Then it's a never ending rollercoaster.

The best solution is to avoid it, which you easily can. You need to avoid sugar and simple refined carbs. Protein first, some fats, and a minimum of good carbs, and you will never suffer from RH. It's a pretty clear choice, but one you need to pay attention to.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

brians34
on 4/6/15 6:34 am - Robinson, TX

Thanks everyone.  It was a lesson learned.