4th day post op, feeling down

parkmanmom
on 10/27/14 1:51 am - OH

Hi. I had VSG 4 days ago and have been really feeling down a little more each day that passes. I thought I'd be in less pain and be able to handle more by now, I don't think I'm being too hard on myself, I just am slowing down in my motivation to accomplish all I have to in a day, and by that I mean get in all the protein, fluids, vitamins, medications, etc. I'm already sick of having a bad taste in my mouth from crushed meds and sweet protein drinks. I know I have to venture out in my food options (pretty much chocolate protein shakes is it) but am afraid I won't like anything. I haven't even found non-flavored protein powder yet. Still on the fluids for 2 more weeks, can't have purees yet. I don't mind broth so I'll have to make some of that, just afraid I'll hate the taste once I put a protein powder in it.  I lost my voice since waking up from surgery and am down from that as well. I didn't want to share my surgery with everyone just yet so I'm afraid if I talk to any of them I'll have to explain why I can only whisper. Gas pain is much better and incision pain is lessening a little each day, I just feel tired and weak. My sisters keep telling me it was a major surgery and to be patient but my husband is much less sympathetic and expects me to be farther along as well. Did anyone else feel like this? I'm on antidepressants that have to be crushed and taken each day as well. It seems every other sip of fluids has to include a vitamin, medication, anti-reflux pill, or oddly flavored chewable pill that doesn't go well with the protein drinks. Sorry to complain, did anyone else feel the same as I do? Any ideas about what else to drink? Thanks, Jenna

Kinde
on 10/27/14 2:00 am

It will get better Jenna! I am 6 weeks post op and I had a lot of the issues you experienced.  What I have learned is everyone is different! I did not pop out of bed the day after surgery.  I slept solid for almost a week.  I got up long enough to to laps up stairs and the hallways and then I went to bed I was totally exhausted, and I was down on myself because it seemed as if everyone else was doing better than I.  You had almost 80% of your stomach removed, it was a major surgery so take it easy on yourself! I am not sure what is allowed on your liquid diet but on mine I could do sugar free popcicles, broth, and protein yogurt.  Mixing it up helped me get over the liquids.  I promise you are going to feel better.  Tell your hubby to do some research he needs to be supportive of your positive life change.  Good Luck!

hollykim
on 10/27/14 2:09 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

no,you should not be further along at 4 days out. You have had a major surgery and your body is still working through getting rid of the anesthesia and getting over the trauma of the surgery. 

Hormones are stored in fat and as you begging to burn that stored fat,the hormones are released into your blood stream ,making you feel depressed. It should be temporary but if it lingers too long a short term antidepressant helps many. 

Cut yourself some slack about the vitamins etc. at 4 days out all you really HAVE to be sure you get is plenty of fluid. Vitamins and even protein can wait till you are further down the road. You have enough stored vitamins to carry you a while till you are more able to take them. 

It is good to get protein in now but also not a necessity,even for the next few weeks. Your bodyguard breaking down your stored fat to convert to protein right now so that is also not an issue presently. 

The most important thing is fluid. Dehydration is a very real and dangerous area for recent post ops so that should be your focus. 

The bad taste inyour mouth is likely ketosis,the fat burning state. It is a good thing though tastes bad. Try putting a little unsweetened cocoa powder in your choc shakes which tones down the sweetness a bit. A little Greek yogurt in there will also help. 

It is perfectly N oRMAL to feel tired and weak at 4 days post op. I don't know where your husband is getting his information,but he is WRON g. If he were my husband ,I would tell him to keep his wrong opinion to himself and get in. Here and get busy because I was going to bed. But that is just me,I don't take any crap,especially from a man. 

Right now all you need tobe doing is taking care of yourself. Even if that means your husband takes time off from work to run the household and take care of the kids. Pushing yourself now is the best recipe for relapsing and having complications from not being able to recover that might not have happened if. You allow yourself this recovery time. 

You can't be afraid of everything. This is your new life and you have got to take it by the horns and manage it. You now have to be your own advocate because if you don't,as you have seen,nobody else will. You are going to. Have to toughen up a little bit and get a little mean where your well. Being is concerned. 

Afraid food will not taste good? So? If it doesn't taste good throw it away. And start again. You can't be scared of food. You just have to get in there and do it. Food is not the enemy and is really nothing to be scared of . It is just fuel.

you can do this and we have your back cause we have been there and done that. 

Good luck 

Tealeyes
on 10/27/14 9:53 am
VSG on 11/12/14

What a great post!! 

Gwen M.
on 10/27/14 2:13 am, edited 10/27/14 2:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Recovery is hard.  I did a lot of SF popsicles during my liquid stage since they tasted delicious to me.  

You had major surgery, be kind to yourself, your sister is right, your husband is a jerk.  

Try tea, broth, crystal light, milk.. some people have better luck with warm or hot liquids.  

You can do this :D  Take it easy, you're healing from major surgery!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

parkmanmom
on 10/27/14 2:24 am - OH

Thank you all for your encouragement. It sure helps to know I'm not alone. 

GoBlueGirl1998
on 10/27/14 7:39 am - MI

I'm four days post op too! Are you on full liquids? If so strained egg drop and wonton soup with protein powder go down very smooth for me and are very satisfying. I have also enjoyed sugar free hot chocolate made with skim milk (10 grams of protein). 

parkmanmom
on 10/27/14 8:10 am - OH

Hi! Nice to know someone who shares a surgery date with me. Yes, I'm on full liquids. I've been thinking about soups and trying some, what kind of protein powder do you use? Thanks for the input, I guess I just have to be patient. Hope you're doing well.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 10/27/14 8:18 am - MI

I have the syntrex nectar unflavored protein powder. I'm having an easier time with warmer foods and the hot chocolate! Good luck to you finding what works for you! You're doing great, this is a big journey for us!

lionhounds
on 10/27/14 8:57 am - Burleson, TX

I had mine October 16th. I'd love to talk and cheer you up. I'm Cheryl I live in Elyria ohio. Number 8178081509

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views