Surgery FRIDAY!! ADVICE WANTED!!!

renaenhenry
on 10/13/14 11:37 am

I'm getting really nervous my surgery is on friday! THIS FRIDAY!! I know im ready mentally but not physically I'm not sure. Does anyone have any advice on what to have when I come on on sunday and what to bring to the hospital and just things to have on hand for right after surgery???? All advice is sooo welcomed!! 

scarletred
on 10/13/14 12:10 pm, edited 10/13/14 12:11 pm
VSG on 10/07/14

I was sleeved last Tuesday and of all of the things I brought to the hospital, the only thing I used was Chapstick and slippers. I had about 20 things in my bag and those 2 were the only things I ended up needing/wanting LOL

Wait, I lie. I also used my pajama pants. Only because the gown they had me in didn't cover my butt and there was no way I was walking around the hospital with my butt hanging out!

~Yolanda                                                        HW316 ConsultW293 SW275 CW234 GW150

M1-22 M2-7 M3-XX M4-XX M5-XX M6-XX M7-XX M8-XX M9-XX M10-XX M11-XX M12-XX

Brownsuga19321
on 10/13/14 12:20 pm
VSG on 09/30/14 with

I just brought a toothbrush and toothpaste, soap and a towel.. i left with the clothes I came in with... if anything please bring chap stick.. you will have a dry mouth... i brought a tub of Shea Butter and I'm glad I did because my face and lips were dry the whole 2 days I was in the hospital

zoomom07
on 10/13/14 12:26 pm

You need very little in the hospital. Don't bother bringing a nightgown or robe. You won't be able to wear them with an IV in your arm. They will give you a toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, etc. Chapstick is good to have because your lips will be very dry. If you don't want to wear the lovely hospital socks, bring slippers. I brought some pre-moistened facial cleansers which were nice to have when I wanted to clean myself a little but wasn't up to doing much in the bathroom. Aside from that, your phone, book, and/or ipad is all you need. Bring a pillow for the car ride home to put between the seatbelt and your sore belly.

for when you get home, just have plenty of jello, broth, crystal light, etc and some yogurt, soup, protein shakes, etc. for when you move to full liquids. My surgeons office had a shopping list in the nutrition instructions. Just go by their instructions. Don't go crazy stocking up. Your taste will change  and you will be consuming small quantities. If you have a family, stock up on their food so you won't have to grocery shop for a while and if your the household cook, get some meals in the freezer.

dont overthink it. You'll be fine. Congratulations!

honorable3161
on 10/13/14 8:40 pm - Stone Mountain, GA
VSG on 09/08/14

I second what everyone said ChapStick will become your best friend....

VSG 09/08/2014  God brought to it he will bring you through it!!!! Heaven Bound 

Luvmygs
on 10/14/14 2:40 am
VSG on 12/04/14

How very exciting!!!! I read on the blog that people brought a pillow for the ride home. I REALLY like Yolanda's advise too. The hospital gowns don't cover much. I'm also bringing some Lavender spray for my hospital pillow. Its very calming and relaxing to me. Wishing you all the best and it will be over before you know it. Happy sleeving!!!!

AngCan2
on 10/14/14 3:28 am
VSG on 10/17/14

We are getting sleeved on the same day 

I plan on taking toothbrush/paste, deodorant, pajama bottoms and something for my feet.  I am also bringing something to read but from what I have read on the forums most people never even take stuff like that out of their bag.  Oh and of course chaps stick!

alib1976
on 10/14/14 3:37 am, edited 10/14/14 3:44 am
VSG on 10/16/14

I go on Thursday.

Taking toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, hairbrush, chapstick, ipad, PJ bottoms--to avoid the embarrassing walk--my fave pillow, and phone.

For home, I have my liquids/broths ready.  I have unflavored Unjury protein arriving today, so as they say, as good to go as expected.  I also have some bandages for cleaning the wounds and covering them as needed.

Good luck to you!!!!

FemFatale
on 10/14/14 5:50 am

small toiletry bag. hospital toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash...ew. but yeah...when my mouth got dry, i would rinse with mouthwash and spit really good. helped a lot with dry mouth. ice chips gave me the foamies.

you will be soar...but will move. trips to the bathroom or sitting on side of the bed helped me. as soon as they brought me to my room after surgery, I was like.."I gotta pee!"

take it easy. walk in with a positive mind and NEVER EVER EVER be afraid to ask questions. Make sure the staff in and out of your room washes their hands in front of you, puts on a new pair of gloves in front of you or uses hand sanitizer. If you dont think they did any of the above, don't be afraid to ask.

instagram: geekyandchicy

tumblr: fabulousfemfatale FemFatale Presents: Geeky & Chicy

renaenhenry
on 10/14/14 7:53 am

Thank you for everyone's advice!!! So I am getting the jist that I really need to bring some chapstick which I defiantly will and some pj pants and then regular toiletry stuff. Thank you so much for everyone's advice!!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views