Nervous About Surgery

Kinde
on 8/26/14 7:35 am

I am going to have the Sleeve surgery on September 15th.  I am very excited about having it and I know I am making a good decision, but I am afraid it will not work.  I see posts about people who have not lost any weight or very little and it is very scary to me.  I guess my question is would you do it again?

Thanks

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/26/14 7:45 am, edited 8/26/14 7:45 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It's possible to fail with the sleeve. You can still drink milkshakes, graze on bacon, or chug melted butter to pack the calories into your teeny little stomach. Maybe you'll try to eat Funyuns and nachos a week after surgery, bust your stitches open, and end up in the hospital. (Kidding. Sorta.)

The majority of the posters here have had great success as long as they stay on plan! Lots of water, lots of protein, exercise when you can. You'll be eating itty-bitty meals, probably feeling less hunger, and you'll have a fabulous tool to work with. Yes, regain is possible, but if you stick to your doctor's advice and don't start backsliding to a point where you're eating nothing but cake? You'll do fine. :)

I had surgery in December, I wasn't sure how well it would work, and I feel AWESOME. I would do it again in a heartbeat. No more blood pressure pills or CPAP, and I'm training for a big bike race now. My butt doesn't get stuck in airplane seats, I can shop at "regular" clothing stores, and my cats can't outrun me. Can't beat that!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kinde
on 8/26/14 7:47 am

Thank you, I am so nervous and do not want to fail.  I appreciate your reassurance :)

annamomof3
on 8/26/14 7:52 am - Canada
VSG on 12/02/13

I felt the exact same way as you - this surgery was not going to work for me. Plus, I was going to have complications during surgery and if I managed to make it home from Mexico, Id never be the same again. These feelings are normal, and I think part of the anticipation and the stress of processing what is about to happen to you.  I promise that the surgery works. If you follow your doctors plan, take it easy on yourself at first, and then throw in some exercise when you feel you are ready, you are going to be golden. I would do this surgery over again a hundred times. Best decision of my life. You are going to feel the same way too very soon! Good luck!

SweetJanee
on 8/26/14 8:47 am
VSG on 03/26/13

100% positive, I'd do it again! 😊 Somedays I get down because I weigh 160 and I'm 5'3. Well !!!! Then I remind myself when I have I ever dropped so much poundage AND KEPT IT off?? Never. I had vsg on march 26, 2013 17 months ago Today! Wow surgery weight 228 that was 68 lbs ago. We are on a lifelong journey, I'm slow but I'm moving forward and down the scale. 

Like the first response said stick to being a healthier you, be kind n loving to yourself and you are going to be just fine 💖‼️ best wishes and yay!! Janeen

Mrs_healthy_choice1
on 8/26/14 6:47 pm

Hi, we're there time during your process that you didn't lose any weight? I had the vsg on July 22 and I have been weighing 217 pounds since August 12th and it is now August 27th....

SATXVSG
on 8/27/14 3:07 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

Stalls are quite normal.  I have had 3 lasting 10-14 days.  Your body is adjusting itself.  The stall will break and whoosh, you will lose 5-7 lbs in a few days.  

That is assuming you are sticking to plan.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

mollz007
on 8/26/14 10:32 am
VSG on 02/20/14

Congrats on y our surgery date! It is normal to be nervous. Whether the surgery "works" is totally up to you, it is just a helpful tool to help you lose weight, but it is not foolproof. The people that are successful follow their surgeons plan and exercise regularily, etc. I have seen many people on this board reach their goal weight and maintain it for years. It is totally possible with the right attitide. To answer your question, yes I am glad I did it and I would do it again. While I think I could have lost weight without the surgery, I think that it has helped me greatly and I certainly would not have lost this much so fast without it. (I am 6 months out and have lost almost 100 lbs)

check out my blog!

Valerie G.
on 8/26/14 10:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Ask yourself a couple of questions:

• Do I consistently overeat?
  • Do I know when I'm full?
  • Do I see results when I eat drastically less?
  • Do I just need to NOT feel so hungry so I can concentrate on eating the right things?

If you answered yes to them, then you're on the right path and have great chances to be successful.  Your metabolism is working just as it should.

The game changing question is:

• Does my body fight my every attempt to lose weight with little or no results no matter how hard I work at it?

If you answer yes to that one, then you really want to give consideration to a procedure (RNY or DS) that offers malabsorption to really kick the metabolism into high gear.  Also, if you suffer from GERD, you DON'T want the sleeve, for most get even worse.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

sillymilly
on 8/26/14 12:33 pm - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

Absolutely I'd do it again.  (Although if you asked me during the first week or so after surgery, I probably would have said no way!)  As long as you commit to following the plan laid out by your surgeon and nutritionist you will be fine.  If you go into it expecting the sleeve to do all the work, and you think you don't have to exercise of follow dietary restrictions then you might have problems.  

Good luck to you!

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 267 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views