Cooking for one

Cheryl H.
on 8/10/14 10:49 pm - Crowley , TX
VSG on 07/24/14

Help fellow VSG'ers!

I'm single and teach school.  If you don't know it already, teachers LOVE to eat so when I return to work this TH, there's going to be big challenges bc there will be food, lots of it and all the wrong choices. 

That being said, I love to cook and I'm pretty darn good at it too!  :D  My issue is that I get bored easily with leftovers and since I can only eat a few to 3 oz at a meal, how can I cook good, small portions and keep it healthy, fresh and well, not burn out on it because there's so much?  I went to Half Priced Books looking for a WLS cookbook and they didn't have any which means I need to go to the more expensive Barnes and Nobel.  I hate paying full price for books!!!

Cheryl

Kelly Jean
on 8/10/14 11:06 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

You can get tons of recipes right here ...got on the top and click search and type in recipes .... I've printed out so many and made my own cook book out of it... !!! Best of luck to you!!! :-) 

♡ Kelly

hollykim
on 8/10/14 11:29 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com 

angie M.
on 8/11/14 2:04 am - TX
VSG on 12/02/13

I still cook all of my favorite (WLS-friendly) recipes, which is always too much.  The best thing I've purchased is a Food Saver (vacuum-sealer).  Now, I cook a full recipe, portion out what my husband and I will eat for the week, and freeze the rest.  I do this for about 3 weeks, then have enough in the freezer that I don't have to cook for 3 weeks!  :)  Just add a fresh veg or salad and I'm good to go!

VSG: 12/2/13    HW: 268  SW: 239  GW: 145 

Stacy_WLS
on 8/11/14 3:28 am

I cook for just myself too -- sometimes my son, but often we eat different things.  

You can cut recipes in half, but there will still often be a lot.  Typically when I make a recipe, I freeze 2/3rd of it in two different containers.  That way, I can pull out one pack and have a few meals for the week.  

I used to hate eating leftovers, but have found that it doesn't bother me anymore.  I think it is because food is not AS big of a deal as it used to be -- although it is still pretty damn important :)

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

frisco
on 8/11/14 3:49 am

Check out Cafe Frisco.... It was designed because most recipes are for 4-6 normal sized meals or 16 VSG sized meals.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Capegin
on 8/11/14 3:58 am

Make the freezer your best friend!  If you make freezer friendly recipes, you can set one portion aside for the next day's lunch and freeze the rest in single portions to grab in a pinch!  

diane S.
on 8/11/14 4:42 am

yep, eggface and frisco are good bets.   I buy expensive scallops or other pricy seafood at the fish counter so i can get small amounts.  cook a little and freeze the rest. I get a pound of grass fed ground beef and divide it into meal sized packets and freeze them.  i cook for two but we are both sleevers so its a small meal. i go to the store more often to have fresh veggies around.

also, our dogs eat pretty well .....

diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/14 5:03 am - CA
VSG on 08/19/14

I get most of my books from thriftbooks.com  online... new, used, some really cheap and free shipping!  I'm also trying to figure out the small meal thing, since it's only me and one child at home now. Good luck!

Most Active