Post Op day 7 and hungry

NurseJackie
on 7/17/14 2:04 pm
VSG on 07/10/14

I am post op day 7 after my VSG and I am hungry.  The liquids are not satisfying me.  I am tired of the sweet protein shakes, but I have added milk and they taste better.  Is there anything I can do?  I am sad because I watch my family eat or smell the smells of my husband's cooking.  

VSG on July 10th, 2014

Adner65
on 7/17/14 2:24 pm

Jackie, I don't have an answer for you, but I know exactly how you are feeling, I had my surgery on July 8th,  and I have been hungry ever since and I'm on protein drinks only until July 24th. I feel no restriction from protein shakes or water. I can drink 8 ounces in an hour when I remember!  And it seems like every neighbor is grilling steak.  But i know this will get better,  just think how amazing that first bit of real food will taste like:)   This isn't going to be easy, but this journey will be amazing. Hang in there

Nurse Brenda

Dreamingofbeaches
on 7/17/14 3:53 pm, edited 7/17/14 3:54 pm
with

I have two suggestions. Are you taking a PPI? It could be acid making you think you are hungry.  I also find that when I think I might be hungry, I really just needed to drink more fluids. I found warm tea to be very satisfying and not the same kind of sweet as the shakes. Can you have broth?  It was a nice change for me to have chicken and beef broth instead of some shakes.  Good luck guys, you can do it!

-Jen

Consult weight 4/7/14: 381.5   SW 7/1/14:

stoutts
on 7/18/14 3:03 am

broth!  tea-both great suggestions plus you can have something warm which might switch things up a little.

chriswife19
on 7/19/14 12:07 am
VSG on 05/28/14

When I'm overwhelmed with the sweetness of shakes I put some unflavored protein powder in broth.  Yummy cream soup.  Favorite broth to do this with is mushroom.

Highest weight - 260  Surgery weight - 197.5  Current Weight - 152

jobe05
on 7/20/14 1:56 am

I am not there yet, but hunger pains from smelling what others are eating have been a concern of mine.  MY nutritionist suggested that for a short time, if this is an issue, to change my routine and while the family is cooking and eating, for me to go out and do my walking or running during that time.  I hate having to eat at different times than my family but I have talked with my family and they would hate it more if the urge to eat bad things was there for me.  They have agreed to help me, but I know they can't change their life for me.  It's a temporary thing, and we will get through it!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 82 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views