Introduction

brians34
on 6/24/14 2:07 am - Robinson, TX

Brian, 50 years young.  After losing 65 pounds in 2013 and seeing the weight starting to creep back up again, I decided that it was time to look into something different for my health.  Tired of the yoyo stuff.

I don't mind eating a clean diet, but once I hit my plateau, it gets old trying to figure out how to continue to change diet and exercise to break through again.  At that point I just don't feel like I'm getting full when I change my diet trying to reduce a few more calories.  I will eat a full plate of vegetables and a large can of lemon peper chicken ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Chunk-White-Chicken-in-Lemon-Pepper-Sauce-10-oz/23565924 ) and just don't feel full.

So after this round of the yoyo, I decided to look into the bariatric surgery.  I had been researching the VSG and RNY and decided that the VSG would be right for me.  I told my wife I was going to make an appointment to talk to my PCP and she said, "Not fair, if you do it I want it also."  That surprised me because she had told me in the past that she didn't want to do anything like that, but with both of us doing it at the same time, will make things much easier.

So my next hurdle was talking with my PCP and Debe talking to her PCP.  I figured we were going to have try jumping through hoops to convince them to give us a referral for WLS.  To my surprise, when I brought it up to PCP, he said that sounded like an excellent idea and Debe's PCP said the same thing.  What?!?!?  Why was that so easy?  Anyway, so referral was sent.

We attended the WLS seminar last week and asked our questions.  Now was told at the seminar that it would take 2-3 weeks for them to get in touch with everone's insurance and get back to us where to go next.

One of the requirements of the insurance company is 3 months supervised weight loss regimen.  I called insurance to inquire about this requirement and was told that 3 months with dietician would comver this requirement, so called PCP to get dietician referral and get started on the 3 months.

Hate the wait, but looking forward to the outcome.

civilmomma
on 6/24/14 2:16 am
VSG on 03/07/14

Good for you guys!

I had my VSG in March and my husband is having RNY later this year (he is diabetic so RNY is a better choice for his needs).

We have a 6 month supervised diet requirement from our insurance.  it seems like it takes forever - but now that I am post-op I realize that it wasn't that bad and the rapid weight loss in the first few months really makes up for the frustration with jumping through the insurance hoops.

Good luck and best wishes as you start this journey!

Oh, make sure you stagger your surgeries by a few weeks so one of you is well enough (not drugged up too much) to drive!

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Gwen M.
on 6/24/14 3:58 am, edited 6/24/14 3:58 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome to the forums.  It will be great to have a partner in this WLS journey!  

The wait, while sucky, will give you much needed time to prepare for this life change, and to learn a lot.  Read everything :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Rez_123
on 6/24/14 4:46 am

Congrats!  I'm just finishing up my 6 month insurance required plan, and it really does go by fast.  Three months should fly, and I think it's worthwhile to talk to a nutritionist and start practicing now for the changes you'll have to make after surgery. 

VSG on July 1, 2014.  High Weight: 351 Consult Weight: 338 Surgery Weight: 325  Current Weight: 175

6 Month Pre-op: -13 M1: -27 M2: -14 M3: -23 M4: -14 M5: -20 M6: -10 M7: -14 M8: -8 M9: -3 M10: -7 M11: -1 M12:-0 M13:-0 M14:-8

Total Weight Loss: 163lbs

Tracy D.
on 6/24/14 5:00 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Congrats to you and the wife for taking the first steps to a healthier life!  Eleven months after I got the surgery my husband also got VSG...and he's so very happy he did.  It really is easier if you are both on the same track, following the same plan 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15