I'm proud of myself!

Tina M.
on 5/17/14 4:30 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

This is a journey that I needed to save my life. I can't say that it's been easy, but the rewards outweigh the difficulties, by far! First, let me say that pureed turkey chili is EVERYTHING! Lol. No, seriously, I was afraid of advancing to this stage, I guess because I wasn't sure if the taste of "real food" would put me back in the same frame of mind I had before I started this process. Thank goodness, I am ok with it. I just wanted to say to anyone who is having second thoughts, or fears about having this surgery, GO FOR IT! I know I'm still a "newbie," but I don't think I would have done anything differently, if I could do it all over again. This message board has been a wealth of information and support! I appreciate everyone for their kind words, motivation and advice! There were days when I doubted myself, questioned the process and had second, third and fourth thoughts. All it took to snap me back was a little "lurking" around the boards. The stories I read were inspiring. Thanks, VSG'ers!

Yesterday, I joined the gym! It may not seem like a big deal to some, but it is to me! I met with a trainer, who gave me a regimen to follow 3 days a week. As he walked me through to show me what to do, I really felt self-conscious and embarrassed. I looked around and saw all of these physically fit people and I felt like all eyes were on me. In the past, I would have hauled-ass at the first sign of discomfort. That didn't happen this time! I did my regimen, then got on the bike, put on some Old School R&B, and rocked out 3 miles! I didn't even realize how much I did! What an amazing feeling! When I left, my emotions took over. I sat in the car and cried for 5 minutes. I said to myself, "YES, GIRL, YOU ARE GOING TO BE JUST FINE!"

My new life began on April 30th, 2014!  

Start of Pre-Op Diet Weight: 282     Surgery Weight: 268     

Newgirl32714
on 5/17/14 4:35 am

I'm proud of you too! Awesome job. You're gonna rock this. Congratulations!!!

Tina M.
on 5/17/14 4:43 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

Thank you so much!!! 

Kelly Jean
on 5/17/14 4:38 am
VSG on 04/08/14

Im 6 weeks out so stil kinda a newbie!!! and I agree with you completely!!!! this has been an awesome ride and I cant wait to see where it takes me next!!!! Congrats and best of luck to you!!!!

Tina M.
on 5/17/14 4:44 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

I love it! Thank you & best of luck to you too!

Mary Gee
on 5/17/14 4:54 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Thanks for posting your story.  I just had surgery on the 14th, and I'm sore as hell, wondering how long this will last.  But I know it's going to be well worth it.  Stories like yours keep us going!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Tina M.
on 5/17/14 4:59 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

You're welcome, Mary! I still have moments when I'm sore & I'm 17 days out. My surgeon said, "Tina, what did you expect, it's major surgery!" Just take your pain meds and follow your surgeon's plan & you will be ok! It will definitely be worth it in the end! Best of luck to you! 

teachren
on 5/17/14 5:08 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 05/13/13 with

Getting into the gym is the first step and you made it!

I know it's hard to believe now but if you keep at it you'll be the one everyone else is looking at saying "Sheesh...that girl is fit!" It takes time to build up your cardio and muscle but it can happen. I am just one year out from surgery and just this morning had a woman I just see in aerobics/muscle class come up to me and comment on my fitness level.

6 months ago I was looking at her and wishing I was as fit as she was. Now a group of "20 somethings" have started to come to one of the classes I frequent. I am twice their age and can keep up while they are taking breaks! :-)

It's possible...just keep with it! Good luck!

150 pounds gone for now! :-)  Initial goal weight of 170 lbs met on March 7, 2014.  My 44 year old bones survived hiking 4 days overland to a highest point of 4700 metres! Machu Picchu goal...CONQUERED!

Tina M.
on 5/17/14 5:35 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

Thank you! I'm taking it one day at a time! Who knew working out would be so much fun? 

What an awesome story! Good for you! Best wishes for continued success! 

mt_rose112
on 5/17/14 5:52 am - libby, MT

Congrats. I wish you the best.  You might be a tad sore but exercising is like falling off a horse, you have to keep on it and soon it won't hurt nor will you be tired.  Keep going you will make it.  And by God's grace so will I. I am ten weeks out.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 134 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views