Questions....

joshcoop
on 5/12/14 9:27 am - Blaine, MN
VSG on 04/22/14

So, I start purée foods tomorrow. Since it's only 7 days, I'm trying to put together a 7 day menu. I'm for sure doing chicken salad 1 or maybe 2 days.....do you guys use noodles? 

Since I'll be going to eating 3 meals a day, did you guys sub a protein shake for a meal or do 3 meals and a shake? I bump my protein to 40G tomorrow and I'll get 20 from a shake and the other 20 from what I eat. 

Any my other help or suggestions would be welcomed!

Highest Weight = 321lb, Start Weight = 302lb, CW (as of 05/03/15) = 192lb, Total Loss (since SW) = 110lbs

*Follow my journey:*

http://vsgjosh.blogspot.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjmVwwSwz1B8d4EBCfWG3ww

mickeymantle
on 5/12/14 9:29 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you will probably need a shake to get enough protein , eggs salad is good , most doctors will allow baked tilopia if it is well chewed

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

b4dawncindy
on 5/12/14 9:40 am

I realize that all surgeons/guidelines vary, however, I was instructed to drink at least two protein shakes a day for at least three months post op.  This was to ensure that I would be getting all the protein needed during these critical first three months.

At least for me, no pasta, no rice and no bread - my favorites :-(  but then that's what got me into this condition in the first place, LOL!

Good luck, will be waiting to hear how you're doing in this phase!

Cindy

joshcoop
on 5/12/14 9:54 am - Blaine, MN
VSG on 04/22/14

Yea, I suppose I should do chicken salad minus the noodles. Smarter!

Highest Weight = 321lb, Start Weight = 302lb, CW (as of 05/03/15) = 192lb, Total Loss (since SW) = 110lbs

*Follow my journey:*

http://vsgjosh.blogspot.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjmVwwSwz1B8d4EBCfWG3ww

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/12/14 9:57 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Noodles?  

Not the best food choice going into the pureed stage.  You want to focus on PROTEIN as you will not be able to eat very much.  Noodles can be a slider food and have a lot of calories.

I drank two protein shakes and had one pureed meal at this point.  40 grams of protein seems very low to me, but if that's what your doctor recommends, stay with his plan.  Mine was and continues to be 80 grams.  Good luck.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Atlanta_Forever
on 5/12/14 10:37 am
VSG on 03/17/14

I have really enjoyed using Premier Protein drinks. (Costco, Walmart) At 30g of protein, they help you get your protein in. I am almost 2 months out and have one of these shakes almost daily. They are sweet, but I can overlook that aspect to get 30g of protein.

good luck on your new food stage!

Gwen M.
on 5/12/14 10:39 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I avoid refined carbs as much as possible, so no noodles.  I also find that with my stomach capacity, even at 8 weeks out, I rarely have room for anything beyond protein and a bite or two of veggies.  

I've found that I can't reach my protein goal (which has always been 60+) with just my three meals a day, so I still do 1/2-1 shake a day in addition to the three meals.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cindy B.
on 5/12/14 10:56 am
VSG on 10/22/12

I will reiterate what others have said. No noodles. They weren't on my plan and for the most part I still don't have very much pasta, rice or bread and I've been in maintenance since last June. I had to eat 5 times a day and still do to get in enough calories and protein. That's just me. If the time comes that I can get my calories in eating 3 meals a day I will return to that. I'm not there yet though. Also, I get hungry every 3 hours or so and have problems with hypoglycemia if I go much longer than that when I'm awake. I continued to drink at least 1 protein shake for about the first 9 months and am thinking about adding one in again. It's hard for me to get in 60+ grams of protein and when I really manage to do it I don't have any room for much else at all including fruits and vegetables. When I had protein shakes early out, they weren't a meal for me, they were part of my fluids. I still tried to eat food as my meals. When I first started eating all I could eat was a couple of tablespoons of food at a time and that doesn't amount to very much protein.

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

ShrinkingViolet2013
on 5/12/14 11:43 am

Congratulations!!  Each surgeon and/or dietician is a bit different, and I am NOT a medical professional.  For me, weeks 2, 3, and 4 were liquids and two protein shakes per day.  It was all I could do to get through one of them in my week 2.  Once I was allowed soft pureed food, all I could handle was a tablespoon.  If you do chicken salad, I'd suggest use non fat Greek yogurt or mayo (very low fat is recommended).  I was told no pasta, rice, bread at all - it will expand in your stomach, which does not allow you to get enough of your protein.  You're still healing for 3-6 months, so go slow.  Lots of good luck, and I would suggest contacting your surgeon or dietician for additional guidance.

shopaholic2014
on 5/12/14 10:01 pm

The only noodles I eat are tofu noodles. They're thin and soft, and 0 carb.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 107 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 384 views