Fibro pain will the sleeve hellp?

nickelnose
on 5/10/14 4:39 am

Hi, I am a 34yr old Mommy of 2 who struggles with the constant pain of Fibro. I am 5ft 10in and range from 250 at the lowest to 330 at heaviest(pregnant) I am now 255. I was wondering if anyone had had the sleeve that has helped with pain? Thanks so much! I plan on going to Mexico for my surgery since I will be paying out of pocket. 

Gwen M.
on 5/10/14 10:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I did some googling and found this:

Losing weight should substantially improve your fibromyalgia pain. In a 20-week study conducted at the University of Albany, overweight and obese people with fibromyalgia were treated using a weight-loss program that focused on dietary restrictions and increased physical activity, including 30 minutes of daily aerobic exercise. Participants lost an average of a little more than 9 pounds, and their pain, disability, and mood disturbances improved significantly. Another study that treated morbidly obese people with fibromyalgia using weight-loss surgery reported substantial reductions in weight, severity of pain, and medication use.

So while the sleeve itself won't help the fibromyalgia, the resulting weight loss should.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/10/14 10:38 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
In my case it did. The only remainders of my fibro are a sleep disorder and a need to pace myself (my skin becomes super sensitive, like it's sunburned, just before I start to spiral down, so I know to back off and take care of myself) The constant grinding pain is history.

It isn't the sleeve that helps, although the focus on quality food and adequate protein undoubtedly helps some. It's the weight loss, which is easier, faster, and more sustainable than the "good old-fashioned" starve and sweat method.

As your doctor has doubtless told you - whatever you do, DONT stop moving. Inactivity increases fibromyalgia symptoms just as much as overdoing does, so you're going to have to really work on balance.
Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

BypassDes
on 5/10/14 10:37 pm - Australia

I didn't have the sleeve, I had Bypass but thought I would reply because I have found a fair improvement in body pain since my weight loss. I have dropped from 126kg to 87kg in 7 months. Before surgery I was really struggling physically, pain and fatigue. Now I can function a lot better but still a bit difficult.

Iguess whichever op you chose the weight loss might not improve pain but it will certainly improve you mobility as you are carrying so much less. BEST decision I have ever made.

Cheers

DES

nickelnose
on 5/11/14 4:11 am

Thank you all for your replies! I understand it's not the sleeve that improves the pain it's the weight loss. I also have the sunburn affect of Fibro I actually have it on a daily basis. Maybe from stress? I have a baby who has medical issues. I am just so wore out and hoping having this done will help with the pain and give me energy in the long run. My husband is fully supporting me and actually put his truck up on loan for the money. My Mom and dad who I am very close with are not being supportive or understanding at all! As a matter of fact when I do talk with them even about other things than the surgery it turns into a big fight. I am just done with all this pain and at my wits end. I am hoping to go in June to Mexico for the surgery. Keep me in your prayers just waiting on my passport!

Most Active