Weak and dizzy

megan.sherman
on 4/24/14 11:15 am
VSG on 05/17/14

I have been consistantly for about a week now getting in all my protein and water.  I still wake up feeling weak.  Tonight, I was at a meeting and couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes without feeling woozy and like my legs were going to give out.  Is this common with the low amount of calories we consume?  I felt a little better after I ate a P3 pack (minus the peanuts) but I still feel so drained.  I am almost 6 weeks post surgery and I am taking 2 Flintstones with iron a day.

boymom2007
on 4/24/14 11:56 am

I'm so sorry!

I have no clue, but I would definitely call my doctor if I were you. With our bodies changing so fast, you never know what may be going on...may even be low blood sugar or something.

Call your doctor :)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  

boymom2007
on 4/24/14 11:56 am

I'm so sorry!

I have no clue, but I would definitely call my doctor if I were you. With our bodies changing so fast, you never know what may be going on...may even be low blood sugar or something.

Call your doctor :)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  

happyteacher
on 4/24/14 12:10 pm

How are your blood sugar levels?  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Gwen M.
on 4/24/14 12:25 pm, edited 4/24/14 12:25 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You should definitely talk to your doctor!  It might be something as simple as needing to up your carbs, but it might be something that needs blood work to figure out!

Personally, I'd go for a different vitamin instead of the Flintstones.  The chewables don't have any of the followings vitamins and minerals:

Choline
Chromium
Flouride
Magnesium
Manganese
Molybdenum
Phosphorus
Potassium
Selenium
Vitamin K

And the gummy ones are even worse and missing the following:

Calcium
Iron
Niacin
Thiamin 
Vitamin B6
Riboflavin
Copper
Sodium
Choline
Chromium
Flouride
Magnesium
Manganese
Molybdenum
Phosphorus
Potassium
Selenium
Vitamin K

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

themexcellentone
on 4/24/14 2:49 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Could also be your calorie intake...I know when my calories were below 800, I was exhausted all the time.  Bumped them up to 900-1100 and voila!  More energy, and still losing.

Also, you may want to get a better quality vitamin...a Flintstones isn't going to have all the vits and minerals you as an adult will need.  I take Celebrate soft chewables (formulated for bariatric patients) 2x daily, plus a chewable calcium x2 daily and a 27 mg Iron + vit C every other day and my labs are fabulous.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

megan.sherman
on 4/24/14 9:16 pm
VSG on 05/17/14

Thanks all.  I will call today.  I was hoping a good sleep would help but it didn't.  I woke up feeling like I have 100 pound sandbags on my shoulders and had to sit down to make my dog's peanut butter and Prozac sandwich.

I will ask about different vitamins, they recommend the Flintstones with Iron and I have to wait until 2 months post op to take calcium or anything else.  Will also get a B12 injection at my next appointment.

I haven't checked blood sugar, I don't have a machine.  Should I ask them for a script for one?  And if it's low, what do I do?  

FindingMyWeigh
on 4/24/14 9:39 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

The machine themselves aren't terribly expensive, it's the test strips that will cost you a pretty penny.  Most people that aren't pre-diabetic, or actually diabetic, pick up their own glucose meters and strips. I bought mine from Costco and a 100 strips run $50. 

Also, doctors have become increasingly resistant towards shooting someone up with B-12 unless labs indicate it's required.  My surgeon labs are looking more for iron, magnesium, B-1 and vitamin D deficiencies. 

My surgeon placed me on vitamins specifically for bariatric patients. I bought Bari-Life powdered vitamins through his office and then moved onto Celebrate bariatric chewable vitamins, which I could buy from Amazon. At 6 months out, I now take gummy vitamins for adults. The Celebrate chewables are too sweet tasting for me this far out...6 months without any sugary foods will do that to you LOL

As always, take what you need and leave the rest. Not a doctor ^.^

Colleen 

happyteacher
on 4/24/14 9:43 pm

Altough it would be ideal if you could check, you can get an idea if this is the culprit without one.  Just pay close attention to how you feel.  If you have an episode where you are feeling weak, dizzy, light headed and then you eat something that ideally has a combination of protein and carb... if around 15 minutes or so later you feel much better it points to being a low sugar thing.  In that case, go to the pharmacy and get something to monitor, call your doctor, etc. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 4/24/14 9:51 pm

Forgot to answer the what do you do if it is low part.  I am hypoglycemic and this is what I am directed to do.  Again, go through your doc and NUT for guidelines.

1.  Don't go too long without eating.  I eat 6 times a day- 3 meals and 3 snacks.  The idea is to keep the blood sugar level consistent.  During the weight loss phase I ate the same amount of calories overall, but they were spaced out.  A snack was very light- string cheese, or maybe strawberries... usually 100 calories or less.  

2  Pay attention to carbs- and not low carb!  If I drop below 60 net carbs a day I go low without fail, and 60 is still at a level where I am not feelig good.  I alterante how much carb I eat at one time.  Meals generally go about 30 net carbs, and snacks generally 15 net carbs.  Protein does help to keep your blood sugars up, but you would need carb also if you tend to go low.  It is always best for me to combine protein and carb, worse if I go ONLy carb, and important to make sure I do not take in too much carb at once of the wrong type.  If you eat too much carb at once it will flood your system with insulin, trigger cravings and hunger, and store fat.  It is a fine balance.  My numbers of 30 net carb for a meal and 15 for a snack may not be a good fit for you- too high or low.  Just track everything and really pay attention to how you feel after you eat.  You will see patterns after a while. 

3,  Stay away from processed carbs.  If I eat pasta I will go low around 2 hours after eating.  I am at goal, so from a calorie perspective the pasta is just fine... but my system cannot handle the heavy glycemic load.  

4.  Edcuate yourself about the glycemic index.  Go for foods that are low on the index... these foods have carbs, but will not trigger the roller coaster of high then low blood sugar, but rather help to keep things nice and steady. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views