Carbs/sugars ( in fruit )

Tracey C.
on 4/14/14 9:42 am
VSG on 12/27/13

I am confused about carbs !!!! I eat very few ...... But I am starting to crave FRUIT but when I looked up nutritional value of a small bannana, I was shocked to find 23 carbs.  So, is the carbs in fruit as bad for us as carbs in pasta, bread etc...?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/14/14 10:20 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I think sugar is sugar as far as the body is concerned, but sugars from fruit has fiber in it so you probably won't eat as much, but carbs from bread & pasta is usually much higher & not much fiber so the body will process it much quicker, thus the mini high you get followed by a crash, plus it probably won't fill you up either, so you end up hungry.

FindingMyWeigh
on 4/14/14 11:42 am
VSG on 10/30/13

Here's a good link to fruit carbs and sugar content...most people tend to stick to berries etc when in weight loss mode. Of course, if you are newly sleeved, nothing with seeds while your staple line is healing...

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/576108977303498742/

Colleen 

Stacy_WLS
on 4/14/14 11:42 am

There are different philosophies on this.  I incorporate fruit into my diet daily per my nutritionists recommendation.  Some people on here cut out all fruit.  

I would talk to your nutritionist and see what they recommend for their program.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

pineview01
on 4/14/14 12:38 pm - Davison, MI

Some fruits are better than others.  I eat berries, low glycemic index is the key I use from a diabetic class.  Grapes are like having candy bars.  Banana's are high but have nutritional befits.  I only had the berries during weight loss and few at that.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

freckles1973
on 4/14/14 12:46 pm - Canada

I incorporate small amounts of fruits in my plan. I stay on the lower carb fruit options..like canned peaches and pears packed in water with no sugar added. A serving which is a 1/2 cup is between 30 and 40 calories and 7g of carbs. Sometimes I add the peaches to cottage cheese and I make it a meal.

HW : 246 PW:220 SW:208 CW:130

VSG surgery on 09/10/2013 with Dr. Henri Atlas

zmdh39
on 4/14/14 3:42 pm

Ok, so your body needs carbs to work properly, period. The big thing is what those carbs are coming from and the nutritional values of the food in relation to the carbs. My problem with nutrition is that for every argument against a particular thing...always skillfully written by someone with degrees, expertise, and all that jazz... you can always find someone with equal expertise telling you the exact opposite...welcome to the wonderful world of marketing my friends! The problem is that everyone's body, while we all fiction in a similar way, is going to have variances in how and at what speed it processes food. What works for the guy saying eat zero carbs, my very well lead you to mass destruction in regards to your diet. Start with limiting your calories, which I am sure you are already doing, and then play with the nutrition levels until you find what works for you. If you work a desk job, have a good amount of weight you are still trying to lose, and do light weight exercise, then limiting carbs might be the way to go. It took me a long time to find my mix, but I found that when I dropped my carbs low, I felt like was I staving, had no energy, and craved junk food all the time. By allowing myself some fruit at key points in the day, I find that I don't crave junk food, and I have more energy for my workouts. It all really depends on your body, your day to day life, and the way your body processes what you are putting into it. Also, don't forget to change up your diet, I found it helpful when trying to break my stalls.

claimmaster
on 4/14/14 9:28 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I agree with the berries.  There is a decent amount of fiber in them, and they are low on the glycemic index so they shouldn't make you crave more carbs.  A few in a smoothie or in a salad work great for me.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

LosingSarah
on 4/14/14 10:33 pm - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Like another poster mentioned, many people don't eat any fruit during WL Mode, but I eat some. My plan allows fruit of any kind, but basically stick to berries (usually frozen blueberries) but fresh black berries, raspberries, or strawberries if they are on sale. I don't eat very many. Usually just a couple or so, depending on what it is. 

I have a five year old daughter who eats apples often. I cut it into wedges and she usually cannot fini**** I sometimes will eat a wedge or two of her apple for a snack.I have also had a half or whole clementine a couple times because they are very small/low cal.

I am allergic to bananas so I don't even go there, but maybe a half a banana? If you cut it in half with the peel on it'll stay fresh until you want the other half. I know because I do this for my daughter. I don't know how far out you are, but I wouldn't be able to eat more than a half a banana anyway right now.

White Dove
on 4/14/14 11:09 pm, edited 4/14/14 11:12 pm - Warren, OH

Almost any vet who has maintained will tell you that they gave up most fruit during their weight loss stage.  A few strawberries in a protein shake were all the fruit I consumed for several years.

I added fruit back when I was well into maintenance and then added very slowly.  Fruit is a way of eating sugar and sugar makes me hungry for more sugar.  Sugar is bad for you and will slow your weight loss down even if it is from fruit or potatoes.

I did have a lot of sugar free extracts and syrups that I added to protein shakes for a different fruit taste during weight lose.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 241 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 309 views