very worried about sugar addiction

purplequeeny
on 4/1/14 2:43 am - Mc Calla, AL
VSG on 06/12/14

I have not had my surgery yet, I'm suspecting it will be in May.  I have been doing pretty good and have lost some weight.  I do good for about 2 days then the sugar addiction hits me.  I just ate a piece of my neices left over bday cake and I fee horrible that i did that.  I'm scared when i get my sleeve, that i will still fall back to my old habit of cakes.  How are yall handlling this.  Very concerned.

HW 350 SW 309 CW 150 Surgery 06/12/14 I admit I'm a scale addict.  My life is now amazing and God is guiding me thru every step of the way.

Tracy D.
on 4/1/14 2:49 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Oh, purplequeeny...you are singing my song, girl!  You are very right to be worried about this because the surgery will NOT make your sugar addiction go away.  The only way I have been able to handle my addiction is through Overeater's Anonymous.  It gives me a program of recovery so I can turn away from the sugar....one day at a time.  

Don't be fooled:  a sugar addiction will kill you...just slowly, over time.  And your death certificate won't say "overdose from sugar".  It will read:  heart attack from morbid obesity or stroke or diabetic complications.  

If you'd like to talk about this more please add me as a friend and PM me...I'm more than happy to share my experience, strength and hope. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Melody2
on 4/1/14 2:54 am
VSG on 04/10/13

One of the things my surgeon told me during the initial consult was that VSG actually helped with sugar cravings...removed part of the stomach that craved sweets.  I did notice a difference after surgery...not major but the taste of sweet things changed.  I can take it or leave it.  However, after learning the damage that being overweight has done to my body, I'm leaving the processed sugar where it belongs...in the box, in the package, in the bakery case, etc.  I was diagnosed with a-fib yesterday, a lovely leftover from being overweight for so many years and having high blood pressure.  Only if I could back a few years....

Tracy D.
on 4/1/14 3:59 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

VSG reduces the amount of hunger hormone in the stomach and I think that does help with being able to abstain from sugar...or any other binge food.  But just let a little bit of it back in and boy - watch out! - that hunger and those cravings get spiked like crazy.  

You're a smart lady to stay away from it now, Melody.  I'm sorry to hear about the a-fib diagnoses though.  Here's hoping that your new, healthy lifestyle will keep it under control.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

56sunShine14
on 4/2/14 1:18 am

@Tracy,  I see the surgeon on 4/16 and I have such a terrible addiction to sugar!  Can I tag along with you two? 

Karen

Tracy D.
on 4/2/14 1:42 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Of course!  It takes a village and all kinds of support and tools to be successful in this fight.  

KevinBacon
on 4/1/14 2:54 am
VSG on 03/10/14

The wonderful and terrible thing about this experience is that it puts the word CAN'T in your vocabulary for a very long time. Or at least it feels like a very long time lol 

I am three weeks out, and all of my sugar cravings and desires are gone. This surgery gives your body the ability to completely detox and in essence reset. The time we are given is precious which is why any vet worth their salt is going to encourage you to 1. Stay on plan with 100% compliance (no cheats) and 2. Appreciate and use the "honeymoon phase" to its full advantage. 

I don't know what the future holds for me, but I know it's GOOD. I was a food addict, and this surgery has given me my control back. I will never be physically capable of eating the way I used to again, and that's a very very good thing. You will do great. It will all be okay. 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

Scorpio98
on 4/1/14 3:09 am

I'm a week out and any desire I have for food, even my sugar cravings, are gone--and I used to love and look forward to all types of food.  Now, my feelings toward food are, "meh".  I really didn't believe it would happen until it did.

If you are pre-op, stay away from artificial sweeteners as much as you can--they can trigger sugar cravings.  I cheated a few times pre-op and felt horrible afterwards, too.  What helped me was thinking about how would I feel if my surgeon and his staff, who are helping me on this journey, found out?  When I thought about that, it made it easier to resist sugary treats.  I also told myself that I was choosing to forgo them for now, not that I "can't" have them.  Hearing "can't" set me off in panic mode and made me crave them even more.  Mentally using the word "choose" made me feel more empowered.  

Hang in there--you can do this!

Fran001
on 4/1/14 4:23 am - MI

Surgery will help, to some degree.  Partly by food having less appeal (the first few weeks after surgery you spend every waking minute trying to sip, sip, sip, and trying to get in protein, until you're so bloody sick of the whole idea of food you wish you would never have to eat again).  Partly because by the time you could eat cake again, you'll have weaned yourself off sugar pretty thoroughly so the cravings won't be obsessive.  Partly because bread-y things tend not to sit well, so cake may well make you feel ill.

But mostly it's just making a habit of not eating cake.  The easiest way to do that is to not have cake in the house ever ever ever.  That's what I've had to do with potato chips. 

wncmommy
on 4/1/14 5:08 am

I am almost 3 weeks our but with the RNY, I will tell you my sugar addiction was out of control. I would hide and eat it. The worst part was I am a Girls Scout Leader and I ad access to all those delicious yummy cookies. However since surgery I have not wanted any at all. Everyone else can be around me eating cake or drinking a big fat milkshake and I do not care. As a matter of fact, I am beginning to hate sweets. The only protein I can handle is the ready to drink ones and they are all sweet. I often wonder why the stores do not put out a ready to drink that is savory. I would be in heaven! Good luck!!

B

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views