Unofficial stall 2.5 weeks post op

jamiemarlowe
on 3/30/14 10:28 pm

Okay, I know an official stall is 3 weeks but I am only 2.5 weeks post-op and have not only not lost in the bast 10 days, I've gained back 5 pounds. Because I paid out of pocket I feel like I just wasted a boat load of money on yet another weight loss project. Everyone says to just keep doing what I am doing and it will start to come off eventually - but I'm just so frustrated. 

I'm getting in all of my protein, not eating extra carb, drinking most of my water - i know this is where I could improve and I am working on it, and I have stated exercising. 

I'm not meaning to sound whiney, but really, did anyone experience this so early on? I feel like I am doing everything my NUT has told me to do, it's just not working yet. 

rziller
on 3/30/14 10:49 pm
VSG on 03/08/14

I hit mine at 2.5 weeks also and just had 1 lb loss today (first loss since last Tuesday.) I gained back a couple during my "stall" but I'm confident I'll lose those back, plus a lot more. We've just started this marathon! I'm kind of glad I'm going out of town this week because I won't be able to weigh every day! My niece, who got sleeved the same day I did, isn't weighing until we're one month post-op! I just couldn't do it. Congratulations on your weight loss so far. You're doing great!

46 year old female- 5' 6"- Highest weight (11/2013):245; Surgery weight(3/8/2014): 231 Current Weight (5/14/14): 199.4 (PreOp: -5; M1: -18; M2: -8)

grayC
on 3/30/14 10:51 pm, edited 3/30/14 10:52 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

It is frustrating but it's also true just keep on plugging away!

and boost up that  water,  it really does help!

FindingMyWeigh
on 3/30/14 10:59 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

Your body is reaching a new normal so there are going to be pauses when your body catches up with your new tiny tummy  Check your sodium intake and see if that is causing a weight fluctuation. My go to when I think water weight might be involved is cutting back on sodium by drinking no sodium bouillon. You already know you need to up your water..68oz is the minimum requirement but you'll see some very successful vets drinking 100oz+ of fluids daily.  

I'm not sure what you consider extra carbs and what your intake is, but 20-40g daily is what your shooting for. If you're not sure what your intake is, start journaling on My Fitness Pal what you're eating daily so you can detect a pattern and tackle this more efficiently. 

Not a doctor or NUT but I keep to 400-600 calories per day, 60-80g protein, 30-40g carbs and 100oz of fluids daily. You know that logically, there is no way that you ingested 17,500 calories to gain 5lbs. It's physically impossible for you at this point. 

Walking is awesome! Do as much as you feel comfortable with but don't overdo it..your body is still healing! 

You're off to a great start losing 31 lbs. That's a LOT of weight. Find your happy place, stick to your eating plan and up your fluids, cut back on the sodium and you should see that scale start going in the right direction.

Colleen 

cappy11448
on 3/30/14 11:53 pm

The first few weeks can be really unpredictable because there is so much change to your body.  Plus the IV fluids can skew the weight loss, and your body needs to adjust after the trauma.   My program told me not to expect to lose any weight the first month. 

Don't get discouraged.  If you are eating 600 to 800 calories a day, as most do the first few months, you will lose fat, and the scale will catch up eventually.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Southjerzjoy
on 3/31/14 12:00 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I had to stop getting on the scale. It was making me nuts!!!  I set a date like an appointment at least a week or longer.  It helped me. If your doing what you should it will happen. Good luck. 

Southjerzjoy
on 3/31/14 12:09 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I had to stop getting on the scale. It was making me nuts!!!  I set a date like an appointment at least a week or longer.  It helped me. If your doing what you should it will happen. Good luck. 

Lisa J.
on 3/31/14 1:23 am - OK

Stalls are the most frustrating...but just know we ALL had them, and I know I just KNEW it was the end of losing for me. Even at 3 weeks out. But it's not. It almost doesn't make you believe that you have one more pound to lose....but oh my god, you will be astounded in another week! I'm serious! The scale is both amazing and annoying. If you DO keep on the scale, make yourself a little note to jot down the number. And also, measure yourself! This is the truth--you will lose lbs and then you'll lose inches. While the scale might not be moving, your body is still shifting. I would venture to say that 30 days out and you'll need new pants or a top....unless you've got all sizes in the closet like a lot of us did.

Yep, you DO have to drink a ton of water. You might even cut out some food just so you can drink more water. Trust us, this makes a difference.

I paid out of pocket too (thanks Daddy!) and I felt, at times, the same way you do. But if you just keep to a routine of sorts: always weigh at the same time each day. Eat every couple hours, even a bite or two. Your tummy is still screaming in denial about being cut up and off--and the experts feel that it's easy a 6-12 month healing process. That's why you have to take advantage of the time frame, because you will only be able to ingest only so much in that time before you're healed. That's the honeymoon period, where you basically can do no wrong and EXCEPT for stalls, you're working this tool to the max!

You didn't waste your money, I promise!!!

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Fran001
on 4/1/14 4:17 am - MI

Yep, I had my first stall at eighteen days post op.  It lasted nearly two weeks. 

Lemily
on 4/1/14 4:43 am
VSG on 01/16/14

I had the same questions, and everyone gave me the same advice...don't weigh every day. Your body is going through changes and they were right. It does come off I promise. I am the LEAST patient person in the world and love things that give me instant gratification, and it took me almost 9 weeks to realize this process is a marathon not a sprint. I am doing more damage to my psyche worrying that I only lost 2 pounds in a week vs. the changes I am making for the positive.

ALSO - - I went back on birth control about a month out to deal with my PCOS. For the two weeks I went back on it, I didn't lose a pound. I went off of it and lost 3 immediately. It may just be a coincidence and im definitely not a medical professional or qualified to make medical statements, but I feel that was one reason why I stalled that early. I also am noticing a trend that when I head into that time of the month, I stall, and the minute aunt flo hits me up, i weigh on that day and the scale drops.  This is the same way my body reacted to mother nature pre-surgery as well.

Another time I stalled was when I started having protein shakes for breakfast vs. eating an egg or other protein for breakfast. After about 2 weeks, I decided to go back to eating a small protein dense breakfast and then sipping clear proteins throughout the day and the scale moved.

All in all, its a hit or miss. Your body is going to react differently from every one else's and even your own from day to day. I am usually content with what i pack during the day for lunch and right now I find myself starving - something that I have not been in over 3 months.

I wish you luck and don't get down. It gets better and it is worth it...i Promise. Take a picture of yourself right now...and put it away for 4 weeks...take a picture in the same clothes in the same pose and I am sure you will notice that difference!

Most Active