WLS on 12 year old - weigh in on how you feel

ididabadbadthing
on 3/30/14 4:05 am - TN

I always check the news every morning and came across this article. Weigh in on how you feel about a 12 year old having WLS? She had the VSG procedure.

http://usat.ly/1f9G0n4

katym
on 3/30/14 4:31 am - PA

Ordinarily I would think a 12 year old was way too young….however this does not seem like a normal situation. If I am reading correctly she had felt hungry constantly since a previous brain operation and needed radical intervention to allow her to feel full. I hope she has lots of aftercare and support, both nutritional and psychological.

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

darkwind615
on 4/8/14 1:20 am - Canada

I'm glad you posted this response.  Although I would normally support other peoples concerns, because of the brain operation and subsequent damage she isn't in control of her eating.  This procedure probably has saved her life and will her improve her quality life. 

MacMadame
on 3/30/14 4:47 am - Northern, CA

I feel that I am not her mother or her doctor. And neither is anyone here.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

themexcellentone
on 3/30/14 4:54 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Agreed.  It is not for us to judge the medical decision of the doctor treating this child.  Furthermore it is not our place to judge what these parents felt was the best course of action to save their child's life.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Gwen M.
on 3/30/14 5:32 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I completely agree.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/14 4:59 am
VSG on 02/10/14

My daughter is 12, and it's already a struggle for her - she's constantly hungry, and I see her tummy growing.   I try to do my part - only keeping healthy foods in the house, restaurant trips are infrequent, she goes walking with me, and loves the trampoline and bike riding.   But still... what makes her want to eat constantly??   I have a feeling the doctors and parents of this little girl weighed out all of the pros and cons, and likely made a tough decision to do what they felt would give this girl the very best chance at life.   Why wait until she's 400-500 pounds when she's 18 to do something about it?   Sure wish I could have done something like this at the age of 12 - my life would have been very different.

moonchild810
on 3/30/14 5:24 am

I think this was a medically necessary procedure under the cir****tances.  I think under a more normal obese minor situation, it's probably better to wait if there aren't any co-morbid conditions. If there are (like T2DM, it may be a good idea).

AuntieH
on 3/30/14 5:32 am
VSG on 11/20/13

This was an extraordinary case because she has obesity due to a brain injury from a brain tumor and the surgery to remove the tumor. In one article I read, it said that her doctors told her parents that if they didn't do bariatric surgery now, her weight could double in one year. I pray that the surgery works for her. The most difficult part will likely be the mental component. It is difficult for adults, so I wonder how it will be for someone who is less mature emotionally. But then again, kids are resilient and adapt better to change than adults. She has already been through a lot and is a real trooper. I hope this will bring an end to her suffering and give her a much better future.

mickeymantle
on 3/30/14 6:40 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

normally it is not a good idea for pre adults , teens need lots of nutrition to grow healthy , but this is an extreme case

it would be better if the brain injury, could be fixed but since it can't , this will have to do to re leave some of the symptoms, this poor girl will need a lot of medical and physiological support 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views