Do you believe in the fat gene?

goleftoklahoma
on 3/18/14 12:13 am
VSG on 01/24/14

I do.  I typically don't embrace any scientific notion as fact until it has been proven over and over but speaking from my perspective I believe in the fat gene.  It used to be thought that the FTO gene was the gene thought to be most responsible for some people's inherited propensity to become obese.  Lately scientists and geneticists are looking at the IRX3 gene.  Researchers found when the IRX3 gene was activated, mice and people were likelier to be obese, and to have diabetes. When mice were bred without the IRX3 gene, they were lean, even when fed a high fat diet.  I know my baby (6) would eat until he threw up and then go back and eat some more if we let him all day.  I reazlize that it is not black/white and having a propensity towards alcoholism or any other addiction/habit does not warrant a lifetime struggle for all, but I think there exists a real chance that this would complicate and increse the likelyhood of obesity for some.   

(deactivated member)
on 3/18/14 1:19 am - Canada

I don't know about the Scientifics but I completely agree that there is a fat gene. I think the fact that we HAVE to eat makes it worse then inherited predisposition towards other addictions. I can just stay away from alcohol all together, can't stop eating...turns out you die from that :\

Chrissy W.
on 3/18/14 2:28 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

I think there's definitely something to it, though I haven't read any studies myself. Strictly looking at my own family, I believe that there is definitely a genetic "passing down" of some sort of predisposition to be overweight. I look at the body type that my grandmother had and I see my own shape: Large breasts, flat butt, and most excess weight carried around the middle. I have her thin, long-fingered hands and strong, white nails, so why not her fat?

I also look at my mother's shape and see my sister: Large breasts, large butt, large thighs, excess weight carried around the butt/thighs for the most part.

If we are genetically predisposed to carry on the physical attributes of our parents and grandparents (I have my dad's hair and eyebrows, and the skin/eye color of ALL of my cousins on his side), then it stands to reason that we are also predisposed to carry on internal issues. After all, many forms of cancers are more likely to present themselves if there is a family history. If that is the case, then why not excess adipose tissue? Also, since you mentioned a propensity for addiction to alcohol, etc., then why not an addiction to something like carbohydrates? Does the fact that it's a perfectly legal and "safe" substance excuse it from being addictive? Hardly.

Thanks for the brain stimulation this afternoon! It will be interesting to see where studies like this go in the next few decades. Maybe our grandchildren will look back and realize that we were crazy for demonizing those with obesity... Just like we are able to see the crazy in those who have gone before us that used to think that medical afflictions like cancer, seizure disorders, etc. were caused by one's sins and could have been avoided had the person simply reevaluated their morals... Who knows? Maybe WLS will be considered barbaric one day... Akin to using shock therapy or lobotomies to treat mental disorders?

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

goleftoklahoma
on 3/18/14 3:19 am
VSG on 01/24/14

Chrissy,  thank you for posting that.  My brain went down a very similiar path about the history of other illnesses, especially mental, ptsd, etc and how it is stigmatized, but at least now its recognized as health related problems etc.  Obesity to me is no different and you're right IMO about it passing down.  I don't know if anyone in here has ever seen Gattaca (its on netflix right now) but they instantly at birth know so much about you and can alter the genes to make a superior being.  I don't see that being impossible for future generations and obesity being something they can manipulate.  I know that taking the ball out of the court doesn't mean that there will be no more obesity I just mean it may be curtailled dramatically.  The current population is now the worlds fattest ever and the bell curve is going to go up on this one.  That is until modern science catches up and intervenes.  I want so badly for obesity to end with me and I and my wife work everyday to encourage our children to eat healthy and the right portions but there is going to be a time when we aren't making choices for them anymore and I don't know how to get ahead of this for them.  One of my boys can care less about food, the other eats dinner and ten minutes later is asking for a snack.  Right now they are both relatively skinny, the oldest is in husky clothes but is very tall and I know he will maintain at the correct weight until it's out of my hands.  Its very hard to tell a 6 year old who just ate a man size plate that they don't need seconds, or can't have a snack.  6yr olds just don't have much will power and he eats when he's bored not hungry.  I make sure he gets water when he complains of being hungry when I know he's not.  

Candy V.
on 3/18/14 2:31 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I just have to look at my boys to know there is truth to that. Both are teens. One takes after me, large his whole life and now doing low carb to lose weight ( is down 40 lbs, is enrolling in marine reserves and still above max wt by 15 lbs) at 19 yrs old.  The other takes after dad's side and is thin as a stick and eats junk multiple times daily and regular food.  

They have had the same food available to them and same upbringing.  But very different physical body types. 

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

goleftoklahoma
on 3/18/14 3:21 am
VSG on 01/24/14

I agree my brother is skinny as can be but I never was.  My oldest son I fear is afflicted too, while my 3yr old has little interest in eating.  Interesting stuff.

White Dove
on 3/18/14 7:26 am - Warren, OH

Genes load the gun, environment pulls the trigger.  When you are exposed to high fat, high sugar foods, then those genes are more likely to result in weight gain.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 307 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 354 views