Big week this week

gabby169kitty
on 3/10/14 9:09 am

No, it's not the BIG week, but it is a big week for me.  Today I had one of my twice yearly visits with my insurance case manager. I am classified as high risk for using multiple medical services because I am on disability, even though I've not been a heavy user, so my insurance assigned me a nurse who can help coordinate or access services. I knew she had the Lap Band so I told her I'm looking into WLS. She said she's had multiple issues with her band and will be looking into getting it out and having a revision, probably a sleeve. She thinks surgery is a good idea for me.

Tomorrow morning I have my annual physical with my gp and will be bringing this issue up during the appointment. I'm sure she'll be supportive, we've worked together before on weight loss (I lost 30 ish pounds but gained it back over the past year and a half). There is always that little nagging creature in my mind that makes me doubt I'll have the support of my gp.

Tomorrow evening is the wls seminar. There is no bad weather in the forecast so no worries about a blizzard cancelling it like the last time.

Wednesday morning is my appointment with the cardiologist. This will be my first visit with him and we'll be going over the results of my stress echocardiogram. I was supposed to see my therapist Wednesday afternoon but I need to reschedule because I my annual apartment inspection was scheduled for the same time and that's harder to reschedule than my therapist. I HATE inspections, hopefully this will be my last one.

I'm nervous about this week, but that's pretty much normal for my high anxiety self. I dislike starting conversations about difficult subjects. How did the rest of you bring up the subject with your doctors or therapists?

Jiliana2
on 3/10/14 9:42 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

That's a LOT going on! I wish you loads of luck with all of it. It sounds good, all in all. 

I brought up the subject with my GP when I went in for a visit and I said something like, "As you know, I've been obese for years. Long since before you even knew me. And it's time for me to take the bull by the horns. I've done a lot of research, and I really think I might be a good candidate for bariatric surgery. What do you think?" And I left it to her. She knew of my multiple attempts at weight loss. She knew what was going on in my life. She knew that we were already so lucky to have a little girl via in vitro fertilization and she darn well knew that now, I need to be here to enjoy that little girl and raise her and not die prematurely because of some stupid co-morbidity. So she was enthusiastic and cited her practice's patients' success with various surgeries. She ran down the list of things to consider, and I came back at her with a few other considerations. And she was happy to do the referral for me. 

That's how I did it. Others may have different speaking points. I am sure you can get the ball rolling! Keep us posted, okay? 

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/10/14 11:19 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I say be assertive, it's your health & your life & your gp should be in your corner. Once I went to the seminars & did some research he was totally in my corner, especially when I needed a letter from him for my insurance to recommend the procedure., if he hesitated in the least I was walking, my gp knew at my weight it was best for me & more importantly I knew it was best for me. It's the insurance hoops that makes things a little difficult.

michellebrad
on 3/10/14 1:01 pm - Eastlake, OH

My GP was the one that basically told me I should really go for the consult, so I actually listened to her.  So unfortunately, I don't have much advice for you there... but talking to my husband about it was hard for me.  I knew he wouldn't be completely on board with the idea.  I'm not sure if he's on board with it now (and I'm almost 3 weeks post-op) but that's another story.

The only advice I can give is just to be honest with your GP.  You've tried this diet, that diet, and just feel like a failure at them all, even if you have lost weight with them.  I told my husband this would be the best thing for me, for him, and for our kids... I looked at the risks and the benefits, and with me having diabetes, it was such a smart decision.  I hope that one day he will understand what I've gone through and why I decided to have this surgery.  The hardest part was hearing him say "you're just taking the easy way out".  Yeah, if this is the easy way out, I'd hate to know what the hard way is....  it's not been a picnic, but I'm so thankful every day for my skilled surgeon, dietician and everyone in Dr. Ben-Meir's office.  They have given me a tool, to reclaim my life and to lose this weight.  I am doing it.. and I will continue to lose.  :)

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Highest weight: 389   Weight at day of surgery: 370   Surgery Date: 2/19/14

gabby169kitty
on 3/11/14 3:30 am

I saw my GP this morning and she is indeed supportive. We were going over everything in general and when she came to weight she asked how I was doing, since the scale only tells one part of the story. I told her I was tired of trying, losing a few pounds and gaining it all back and then I told her I was looking into surgical options. She said she used to not be a fan (not opposed, just not a fan) but the newish program in our area had changed her mind. She said she especially likes the VSG. She confirmed what many of us already know, Mayo will not do any of the banding surgeries because of all the complications. (My GP and probable surgeon are a part of the Mayo network in MN)  She agreed with me the program here is more comprehensive than most. Having her fully on board is very important to me.

Miss Gabby kitty says it's time for a nap, she's already curled up underneath the blankets. Then some cleaning before the program seminar tonight. I'll update when I get home from that.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/11/14 4:35 am
RNY on 08/05/19

That's wonderful news! Having your GP's support will be super helpful, especially if you need a referral, weight history, or stuff like that for insurance to approve things. Plus it's always good to have one more doctor that you can call with questions and the like.

Hope you can get lots of good information at the seminar tonight!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views