Energy level

deniseselah
on 3/2/14 6:51 am - Kansas City, MO
VSG on 05/06/14

Hey all - I just need a little encouragement ... I am pre-op, still finishing my 3-mo supervised diet. I do not have a surg date and have not started the liquid diet yet. I am not doing very well on my supervised diet even though this surgery is getting more real for me and I know I will have to change.

I just have little to no energy. Surely that is because of my size (BMI 64). I feel like the house is falling down around me. I live alone and all I do is work, eat, go to church and watch TV. I walk 10-15 minutes 3-4x a week.

Post-ops - did you experience an increase in your energy level after you recovered from surgery and starting living with the sleeve as a tool? I am just trying to look forward to life getting better, and I want to be able to do things like walking and hiking and just keeping up with housework without it feeling like pulling teeth. I'm not trying to be a marathoner or anything like that, but I want enough energy to make life fun! And now it is boring and muddy. It's ridiculous that I don't even want to keep the house clean.

So stories about get-up-and-go will give me something to look forward to. Thanks :)

What shall I return to the Lord for all his bounty to me? 

I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord,  I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people. Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.  

O Lord, I am your servant; I am your servant, the child of your serving girl. You have loosed my bonds. -- Psalm 116:12-16

cappy11448
on 3/2/14 7:33 am

Hi Denise,

I am delighted to tell you that it gets much better.  I had a BMI of 60 and I was 64 years old when I had surgery.  I am 10 months post-op and I've lost 188 pounds.  And I feel so much better.  Before surgery I was feeling pretty hopeless.  It was so painful to walk, that I could see my life as a downward spiral of less and less mobility, less and less quality of life,  and more and more weight. 

I would not have believed it if you told me I'd be so near to my healthy weight one year later.  After surgery, I was tired for 2 or 3 months.  The energy didn't pick up immediately, but by 5 or 6 months out, I was feeling so much better. 

And now I'm nearly to One-derland (weight starting with the digit "1") and I'm planning a cruise on the Mediterranean with stairs to climb and walking tours, and I'm going to be able to do it. 

WLS doesn't make it easy.  There is lots to go thru, and you need to stick to your program.  But WLS makes it possible to lose the weight and keep it off.  Enjoy the journey.  I anticipate you are going to be so happy you did it.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

deniseselah
on 3/3/14 8:20 am - Kansas City, MO
VSG on 05/06/14

Thanks so much Carol. I have read this through like 5 or 6 times! And also have been thinking about it a lot.

Yes, my quality of life is the issue. It's gone down so much. I am 42 but feel so much older, and I am sick of being exhausted at the end of the day. I especially appreciate what you said about WLS making it not easy, but possible. "Possible" makes me feel optimistic!

Congratulations on your weight loss and enjoy your cruise - sounds fabulous.

I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord,  I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people. Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.  

O Lord, I am your servant; I am your servant, the child of your serving girl. You have loosed my bonds. -- Psalm 116:12-16

71dart
on 3/2/14 7:36 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with

Words cannot adequately describe the difference, but yes, there is a drastic difference in energy, ambition, drive, and activity after recovery from the surgery itself. 

Tom

celticmythe
on 3/2/14 7:37 am
VSG on 02/24/14

Im still on liquids but i could use some encouragement as to when my energy level will increase. Im averaging 400 cals right now and i know thats great for the scale but im am concerned about lack of energy since i have prob another year of living on less than 600 calories to do my plan proper

06/06/2013 - 258 Highest recorded weight 2/24/2014 Surgery Weight 244 VSG w/Dr Gregg Jossart at Good Sam on 02/24/2014.

M1-21(223) M2-12(211) M3-11(200) M4 -10 (190) , M5-7(183), M6-6(177)- M7-4 (173) M8-6 (167) M9-4.5 (162.5) M10-2.5 (160) M11-6 (154)- Goal weight 142

Machelle.K
on 3/2/14 11:16 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

I remember when I went to my doctor for my 1 month post op appointment and I was so discouraged that I was still so very tired and didn't have much energy. I worked, and slept that was it. He told me I would see an energy surge at about 3-4 months post-op, he was right on target. About 3 months out I find I just can't sit still any more, it's like the energizer bunny. It will happen for you to when your body is ready.

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/14 12:34 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I'm only 5 weeks post op and I'm noticing my "bad" days are fewer and far between. A week ago i was still pretty much confined to the couch but today i spent half the day out with my 3 year old son and still had energy left to vacuum and mop when i got home. Im still only getting 300 to 400 calories a day but I think the 31 pounds that i have dropped have made me a little lighter on my feet.

Best of luck to you!

deniseselah
on 3/3/14 12:20 am - Kansas City, MO
VSG on 05/06/14

Appreciate all of the replies ... it is motivating for me as I close in on the end of the pre-op supervised time. THANK YOU!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views