Migraines/headaches

Tracey C.
on 2/24/14 10:20 am
VSG on 12/27/13

For yrs and yrs i suffered with headaches several times a week and a very bad debilitating migraine for 3-4 days either at the beginning of my cycle or the end.  No medication would help, I took many different scripts and many of each pill.  The day before my surgery I had one, day of surgery ....same thing & everyone from nurses, surgeon and anesthesiologist blamed it on caffeine withdrawals.  I suffered all night in the hospital too.  Once I was discharged and home I had to call the on-call surgeon to ask if I was able to take my prescribed migraine medication. He said yes & h/a was gone in 20 minutes.  Yay.  NOW, the reason I bring this up is I am now 8 weeks post-op and have not had a headache since. I feel as if it is some small miracle, but I am not complaining. Has this happened to anyone else?????? I am starting to believe I must have had some food allergy that was never investigated......artificial sweeteners, gluten ?????? 

Tracey

Ihearttennis
on 2/24/14 10:29 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

This has happened to me, too.  I had migraines all the time before surgery ten months ago.  Since then I've had maybe two headaches, not even migraines. I attribute it to the fact that I cut out all soft drinks and have eliminated most of the caffeine from my diet. I used to drink a ton of diet coke and now I drink mostly crystal light, de caffeinated coffee, milk and water.  I also sleep much better and I don't have to get out of bed six times a night to urinate. I'm not sure how the weight loss affected my bladder but it must have. 

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Pelz
on 2/24/14 1:22 pm

I was only sleeved a week ago tomorrow but I haven't had a migraine yet and for me that is a long time. I always thought mine were triggered with my fluctuating hormones but now I'm starting to wonder because I had one every day up until my surgery. You might be on to something!

lil1inside
on 2/24/14 5:25 pm
VSG on 07/10/13

I'm so glad you posted this.  O.K. now, I hate to even jinx myself by telling you this, but--I had severe migraines for years, finally I was put on a beta blocker which finally reduced migraines from 4 a month to 1 a month.  Well since surgery I have not had a "real" migraine, occasional (once every other month or so) regular headache, BUT NO MIGRAINE.  I am just in heaven about this and haven't really talked to anyone else about this.  Isn't this a miracle in itself!!!!!! I used to have them so badly I sometimes just wanted to die. 

Thanks for posting this... May we continue on in our wonderful journeys pain free!

Denise

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

lil1inside
on 2/24/14 5:28 pm
VSG on 07/10/13

I forgot to mention, I still do artificial sweeteners, no diet pops (except the occasional sips) but I haven't given up my caffeine in my iced teas or coffees either. 

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
Adelaide Proctor

Tracey C.
on 2/24/14 6:11 pm
VSG on 12/27/13

Glad you all are pretty much pain free.  Those who never suffered can't understand the joy of not having to worry when a headache will wreck a great day or days in some cases.  

lil1inside
on 2/24/14 9:24 pm
VSG on 07/10/13

Tracey I forgot to say that I stopped taking that beta blocker soon after surgery.

Adelaide Proctor

rocky513
on 2/24/14 9:43 pm - WI

I suffered migraines my whole life.  They disappeared after WLS.  I think it has to do with hormone dumping.  Our fat stores a boat-load of estrogen.  When we lose weight rapidly, that "fat stored" estrogen is dumped into our system.  If your migraines are hormone related... I think this extra estrogen somehow helps... of course the extra hormones can make you pretty irritable too. I know...I've been there.

When I had my WLS I was in the middle of menopause and my hot flashes stopped too.  I'm at goal and the flashes have not returned and I have only had a few migraines.  They were not nearly as bad as before my WLS.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 239 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 309 views