Question about coffee

BeeSweet
on 2/23/14 6:37 am

My plan is decaf is fine for now. After 4 months, I can have regular. 

mollz007
on 2/23/14 7:18 am
VSG on 02/20/14

I didn't quit caffiene until I went on my pre op diet. I was drinking diet coke up to that day, so I was worried I would have a lot of caffeine headaches. I was surprised that it was actually pretty easy and I just got headaches the first day of the liquid diet really. I am so glad because I was SUCH a diet coke junkie! My booklet of post op instruction says that I can have caffeine after the first week.

check out my blog!

wendyred
on 2/23/14 7:35 am
Thankfully coffee/tea/caffeine was not an issue for my surgeon. Ok to have with a small amount of low fat milk or sugar free creamer. Yum! Since surgery, I have completely lost my taste for coffee. Tea is ok, ut coffee does not taste good to me anymore. That may change but for now it is what it is. And I used to work nights and love my coffee, or I used to love my coffee.
DSJSMOM23
on 2/23/14 8:16 am
VSG on 06/24/14
On February 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM Pacific Time, wendyred wrote:
Thankfully coffee/tea/caffeine was not an issue for my surgeon. Ok to have with a small amount of low fat milk or sugar free creamer. Yum! Since surgery, I have completely lost my taste for coffee. Tea is ok, ut coffee does not taste good to me anymore. That may change but for now it is what it is. And I used to work nights and love my coffee, or I used to love my coffee.

I hope that this will happen to me as well (lose the taste for it) I was really sick in November, and I found I couldn't drink coffee! It made me super nauseas (sp?) I drank tea instead because it made me feel better. I have recovered from being sick, and have started drinking coffee again.

I used to be a HUGE starbucks junkie. I'd drink 2-3 per day! And not just regular coffee. I'd drink lattes and caramel machiatos, both hot and iced (Venti size) In oct 2012, I stopped drinking starbucks cold turkey. A few months later I started drinking it again, but I kept it to weekends only, and only one per day.

I have found lately, i'm slipping back into my old habits. I've been going one or two times per week as well as weekends.

I don't know if for me, it's the caffiene, so much as the "habit"

My dietician suggested having it on the weekends only, and cutting the size back to a tall. She pointed out that after surgery, I won't be able to drink a venti anyway LOL True enough.

I think I will continue with tea, and stick to starbucks on weekends only, and i'll cut my sizes back.

I'll cross the bridge of post op when I get to it.

She did say I can drink decaf on my preop diet, so that's good!

katym
on 2/23/14 9:34 am - PA

hi DSJSMOM23,

My doctor recommended avoiding caffeine for 6 months. Some people find caffeine too irritating for their new stomach, and for some people it can act as an appetite stimulant. I was drinking tea and coffee every day within the first month after surgery without any problem, but I do drink more decaf than I used to. (In fact coffee is the main way I drink protein these days, vanilla protein powder can act as creamer and sweetener.)

good luck, Katy 

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

Judy700
on 2/23/14 12:20 pm
VSG on 03/11/14 with

I was told by my NUT that I could have decaf coffee as part of my liquid diet post surgery.  I love my full brew, though, so was disappointed that I had to cut out the caffeine.  She said it is too acidic post surgery.  I plan on switching to decaf post surgery for a few months, but gradually I plan to reintroduce REAL coffee again.  My NUT has told me a lot of things that are difficult and I have spoken to several vets who don't do as she has said and have done fine.  Their advice to me was, "You have to find what works for you."  When I told my NUT that, she actually agreed. 

VSG on March 11, 2014. 60 yo female from Washington, DC area. 

HW: 235  SW: 230  CW: 134.5 (3/23)    M1:-19    M2: -13   M3: -10.4    M4: - 8.2   M5: -6.4    M6: -5    M7: -7.4    M8: -4    M9: -8.6    M10: -5    M11: -3.6    M12:  -1.5 Goal reached 3/23/15 in 1 year + 12 days following surgery.  BMI from 42.1 to 23.9 

Dina1967
on 2/23/14 10:35 pm

I was told to go to decaf after my surgery, but was terrified I would go through the dts.  I was a heavy coffee drinker, a cup (12oz) before I left my house and then probably at least 2-24oz throughout the day.  Now, I can only drink about 6oz in the morning and I do get a 12oz at WaWa, I love the Columbian, but I never fini****  I thought it would kill me, but it doesn't even bother me at all.  My dr says its okay as long as tolerated and I am getting my water in as well.  As far as the chocolate goes, I LOVE chocolate, but it doesn't love me anymore.......thank God, only because I didn't want to fall into eating chocolate bars.  I do a chocolate protein shake and that is okay, but I ate a piece at Valentines Day, and it did not agree with me.  Hope this helps....good luck!

jinxxy5
on 2/23/14 11:02 pm - GA
VSG on 10/02/13

I am allowed 1-2 cups per day since 1 week post-op. I have tolerated it no problems. The only restrictions were to sugary drinks and carbonation, but not caffeine specifically.

Preop: -10; Mo 1: -21 Mo 2: -11 Mo 3: -10 Mo 4: -15 Mo 5: -10 (Onederland 2/19/14!!!) Mo 6: -11 Mo 7: -8 Mo 8 : -9 (100 pounds lost 5/13/14!!!) Month 9: -5  Month 10: -5 (Goal 7/14/14) CW:157.8 (-2.2# BELOW GOAL)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 134 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views