Soup, to be or not to be?

isign4u
on 2/20/14 1:03 am

Okay, so I have been pondering the concept of soup for a while.  I am perplexed and maybe confused.  I have read and re-read Frisco's post on the pyloric valve.  I understand how this works for us sleeves.  On past diets, the stress has always been to fill up with fluids while eating.  I was told to drink as much as possible during meals to feel full quicker.  Some of my previous diets like Jenny Craig even created a whole program based on consuming fluids to "fill up."  They had a program called volume tricks that including drinking broth and sipping on soups before each meal so that you would eat less.

I understand the concept of not drinking thirty minutes after a meal and drinking 100 ounces per day.  I also understand the dense protein first concept.  All that being said, there is still a disconnect somewhere.  I am trying to wrap my mind around how soup (with dense protein and some veggies) works in our stomach.  I am not talking about cream based soups, rather something more along the lines of Elina's green chicken soup (I think that is what it is called.). I'm hoping some of you can chime in and help me to understand how soup works after VSG.  

Soup is a slider food and goes right through us, righ? If the soup is filled with protein and some veg, does this get washed out by the broth or does the pyloric valve close to some degree?  If it gets washed out.. then why do you feel so "full" pre-VSG when consuming so many fluids or soups before or while eating?  I guess I am missing something here.  I hope my question is clear.  Can anyone help me to understand how soup works in our system and what your experience has been with soups? Do you feel full? For how long?  If we are not supposed to eat and drink together, then why soup?

"One mistake does not a day make"        
(deactivated member)
on 2/20/14 1:13 am - Canada

You don't have the room to fill up on liquids...it's hard enough to get solids in!  I order soup a lot in restaurants as it has protein, is soft from the cooking process and it's the right portion size for me.  

The waitress brings it and takes it away looking pretty much the same.  All I've done is strained out all the good stuff and left the liquid behind.  I love a $3 meal! lol  They often ask if I didn't like it because it looks pretty much the same.  A simple, "I just had surgery and can't eat much" calms their fears that they make awful food lol.

If you like soup (I love home made soup).  Use a slotted spoon to get out the chunks for your meal and then scoop up the liquid 30 minutes later when you can drink again.

mimij
on 2/20/14 1:18 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

When the soup is clearly broth and solids then I sip broth first, slowly, and then eat the solid parts last. When it is pureed or cream soup there usually isn't an issue.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

The_True_KayD
on 2/20/14 2:08 am

I sometimes add a bit of a creamy soup to my protein (2 TBSP). It is mainly to add some moisture. I focus on the protein and veggies. 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

G5x5
on 2/20/14 3:30 am - VA

I have some special direct access to a bariactric NUT, and at around the 2-3 month mark had a long conversation with her on this very topic.  For me it was mainly because I stocked up on too much soup expecting a liquids phase that didn't happen (stayed on clear liquids longer then went straight to mushy).

The verdict was "no soup for you".  You've guessed the basics right, nutritionally you could manage it but the hunger management impact might not be what you want.  Her advice was to hae soup around for when you're sick and can't handle regular goods.  Otherwise, skip it for the reasons you pointed out.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

A. Kondrlik
on 2/20/14 5:48 am
VSG on 01/24/13

I love soup, but since surgery it is the one thing that doesn' t agree with me. I feel all gassy and bloaty in my stomach.  Pureed soups don't satisfy me, and soups with chunks make me uncomfortable.  very sad.  I am able to eat chili (we make it thick)

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 86 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views