The Valley of the Shadow of Death

Sandy M.
on 2/2/14 12:25 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Silly people, I'm talking about Super Walmart!  We're expecting an ice storm today so got up early to get some essentials.  Walking through those aisles on Super Bowl Sunday was really hard, with the chips, dips, and desserts displayed prominently everywhere.  I made it through with just the items on my list, got in my car, patted myself on the back, and then starting thinking about fast food breakfast on the way home.  Gah!

I resisted that urge too - it's funny the things that trigger me.  Just getting into a car makes me think of fast food.

All joking aside, what the vets preach here works.  I have always listened, but chose not to do it the last couple of months.  Then a couple of weeks ago, I got rid of the candy, chips, and popcorn in my house.  For a couple of days, I was miserable, pacing the floor because I so badly wanted a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup.  After that, my cravings were much more manageable; so was the hunger.  I started logging my food again (because I wasn't ashamed of what I was eating), and began walking/running again.  And it paid off with 6 pounds gone in two weeks.  Even better, I feel more in control again.

So what does your brain tell you that you need to have, even when you know it's not good for you?  How do you resist the urge?

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

JCDan
on 2/2/14 12:33 am
VSG on 02/06/14

Good job resisting the siren call! I am 5 days pre-op and a huge football fan, and I think I'm going to bail on the SB party tonight. I just can't sit and watch folks eat wings and nachos and beer. I don't have the willpower to resist it. I'd rather completely avoid the situation. I know that has its own complicated knapsack to unpack, but it will have to do for today. 

Sandy M.
on 2/2/14 12:42 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Good luck on your surgery!  It does get much easier to resist afterwards, trust me.  Especially if you follow the plan!

Annievvho
on 2/2/14 12:42 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

Yeast rolls. I have avoided being around them to my best ability since surgery, but even when the opportunity presents itself, I just have to tell myself I have to make a better choice. Presurgery, it was my largest food funeral. While I was losing the required weight from my surgeon, at least once every 2 weeks, I would go to one of the many restaurants that bring an unlimited supply of hot, buttery yeast rolls to the table, and I would binge - and I mean binge on those suckers. 

It's one of those foods that I know I can't control myself once I get started. I'm only 2 months out, though, so I haven't really had to test my resolve that much yet. I am strong so far, but last night a commercial came on TV for Little Caesar's Pizza, which isn't that good anyway, and I was salivating. It's a good thing it was on TV and not sitting in front of me!

Sandy M.
on 2/2/14 12:45 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Those commercials are so evil!  I automatically hit the mute button or change the channel when a pizza commercial comes on, because they make me salivate too!

Annievvho
on 2/2/14 1:04 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

My solution usually is only watching DVRed TV, so I can skip all the commercials altogether, but I wasn't home, so I watched a couple. It's amazing how they can make the grossest things look so delicious.

honeybeeme
on 2/2/14 1:35 am
VSG on 01/22/14

The choice we've made for WLS truly changes our lives, doesn't it? Not only the way we eat, but where we eat and even who we eat with.  I'm not that far along yet, but I've had the cravings.  I don't expect them to ever go away. I've stay away for longs lengths in my life and commercials and meals others ate were always still tempting me.  Stay strong!  :-)

LosingSarah
on 2/2/14 1:39 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Great job!  I have done well to keep the things that trigger me out of the house, but my hubby (who is healthy & has no food issues) like to have ice cream occassionally. I've never had a sweet tooth, but lately when he eats it in front of me I start feeling these insane cravings for some. 

I told him I don't care if he eats it, and I even can handle seeing it in the freezer (although I asked him to put it behind stuff anyway), but asked him not eat it in front of me anymore. This was a couple weeks ago and I haven't wanted it since. Out of sight, out of mind. It's the bomb :)

I put my hand up to shield my peripheral vision or look in the opposite direction to avoid spotting junk food when I walk by the naughtly aisel at the grocery store. When I haven't done this my mouth starts salivating :(

trinoc
on 2/2/14 3:08 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Oh dear, I hear you!  I am almost 3 weeks post op, not hungry, and STILL had a rough time at Kroger today.  All of my favorite snacks thrown in my face at every turn.  My stomach started growling like crazy.  But it was all in my head!  As soon as I got in the car (after not buying a single item that was not on my list) it went away and I'm safely tucked in at home, ready for any winter that might come today, and sipping my protein shake as I get inspiration from you lovely people.  

I resist the urge by asking myself if I "need" it or "want" it.  If my body doesn't need it then I make a conscious decision to walk away.  If it's still hard I rub it in by asking if I'd be proud to log it.  LOL  That usually makes it a lot easier. 

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

cappy11448
on 2/2/14 3:33 am

I'm so glad to hear you clened out the junk food and it helped you re-engage with your plan!  Great job.

I cleaned out the junk food when I started the process over a year ago, and that makes the rest possible.  I did get a bag of Lindt chocolates from a dinner guest at christmas who didn't know I was dieting.  I resisted that evening and sent them to work with my daughter the next day. 

My other struggle is going to parties.  I eat before the party, and that holds me for the first 2 hours, but then I graze.  I try to graze healthy, but I really hate that I am not able to maintain the plan at those times.  Unfortunately, I often cannot skip the parties, so I think I'll have to live with it. 

Keep up the good work.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 323 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 367 views