Nervous Newbie

Liz1029
on 1/12/14 2:30 am
VSG on 02/11/14

Well, I've been telling myself that I am overdue to make my first post.  I've been lurking since July/August when I first started this process and have learned a lot from all of you.  With your help and the encouragement of several coworkers who had their own WLS experiences, I decided to go ahead and go for a consultation with Dr. Ramlogan here in CT.  To give you some information about myself, I am a 24 yr old female, 5'5", currently fluctuating between 315-320, with my highest weight around 350 in 2011.  I've gone down & back up for years and have never been able to maintain my full weight loss. 

Fortunately, after a month long wait, Aetna approved me for VSG and I scheduled my surgery for February 11th.  I'm very excited but nervous as well, especially after reading about some of the more difficult recovery stories and complications that some people have gone through.  However, it seems like everyone says that they would go through all the bad all over again just to achieve their weight loss results. 

I just ordered a few cases of isopure and some protein powder.  I have seen a variety of answers while on the site, but what are the essentials for after surgery.  I've seen gas x strips quite a bit.  My doctor already put me on protonix.  Also, I know that with the bypass, people have to drink that stuff that cleanses out their system the day before surgery.  I haven't seen anyone mention it for VSG.  Do we have to drink it too?  Any advice/tips would be helpful.  I've definitely learned that sip sip, walk, sip sip will be key in recovery.  I apologize for the long post.  Thank you all for being a great inspiration to me and to help motivate me to make this decision

AuntieIt2
on 1/12/14 2:40 am - Greensboro, NC
VSG on 12/11/13

Welcome.  I didn't use gas x, just walked a lot and really seemed to help.  I didn't need to drink anything like the RNY's do.  Just all liquids the day before.  You will do just fine.  Follow your doctors orders, get your water in, and walk.  Good luck.

Liz1029
on 1/12/14 2:50 am
VSG on 02/11/14

Thank you!

Bufflehead
on 1/12/14 3:09 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I got several sample packs of protein prior to surgery and waited until after surgery to try them and decide what I wanted to order larger sizes of. You can order sample packs from unjury.com, chike.com, nashuanutrition.com, and mybariatricpantry.com. There are so many options out there! I would definitely recommend at least getting the sample pack from Unjury as it has chicken soup flavored protein, and a lot of people find that savory drinks sit better with them in the weeks after surgery than sweet drinks.

My essential tools: digital food scale, immersion blender (nothing makes better protein shakes IMO), and if you don't have one, a mini food processor for puree stage. I also found a big heating pad for my tummy was very soothing after surgery.

About being nervous - yes, it's major surgery and of course it's perfectly normal to be nervous. But keep in mind that people who have horrible recovery stories and complications are a lot more likely to post about them (seeking advice, support, etc.) than people who have an easy and complication-free recovery. And most sleeve patients do have an easy and complication-free recovery, or at least as easy as it can be to recover from major abdominal surgery.

Good luck to you! We have relatively similar starting stats. I am 5'4 and started my 6 month supervised weight loss (insurance required) at 339. Combining the supervised weight loss, 2 week pre-op diet, and then since surgery, I'm down just about 145 pounds. Still have a ways to go of course but I feel great!

Liz1029
on 1/12/14 4:48 am
VSG on 02/11/14

That's awesome, congrats!  Do you mind me asking, how is your skin after all that weight loss?  I did buy a bunch of protein samples from nashua nutrition a little while back.  I tried a few of them, and found most of them too sweet, so I definitely want to get some savory protein options and I also ordered unflavored protein powder today.  We do have a food processor, but I think I might also check out some baby foods because I will be returning to work during my pureed stage and I think they will be more convenient to take to work.  I definitely need to get a food scale.  Thank you so much for your tips and the encouragement! 

Bufflehead
on 1/12/14 5:02 am, edited 1/12/14 5:31 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

My skin is probably about the middle of the pack when compared to others, I guess. Worse than some but not as bad as I feared. I remind myself that loose skin really only looks bad or noticeable when you are both naked and standing up. If I have clothes on (okay not short shorts and a halter top, but professional clothes) or am lying down, reclining, etc., my skin looks fine. It doesn't stress me out, which is good because the idea of coming up with $25,000 for plastic surgery is about as realistic as coming up with $25 million. Not going to happen. Plus, I can't kid myself that I looked better at 339 lbs and no saggy skin than I do now! I look way better now, even naked and standing up!

eta: I realized this isn't very specific. I have a little bit of saggy skin everywhere you would expect - upper arms, breasts, tummy, mons, butt, upper thighs. If you told me I could only get plastic surgery on one of those places I would probably pick breasts (but they were sadly pretty saggy to start with and in desperate need of a reduction and lift) or mons (sorry if that is TMI). I described it before as looking like someone took a big sheet of deflated, wrinkly chicken skin, made it into a pouch, and sewed it to the front of my crotch. Everywhere else is pretty moderate.

Liz1029
on 1/12/14 5:09 am
VSG on 02/11/14

That's a good way of looking at it!  I'm glad to hear it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be.

mollz007
on 1/12/14 6:59 am
VSG on 02/20/14

Welcome! Congrats on getting approved! My insurance doesn't cover it so I am a self pay.blush Sounds like we are pretty similar, I am 25 and weigh slightly less at 280-290. Since I didn't go through insurance, my process has been slightly faster. I started seriously considering it in September, attended seminars in October and at a different hospital in Nov. (I choose that one.) Had my consult with my surgeon at the beginning of December, but by then I had pretty much decided on the VSG, and he totally supports my decision. Since then, I have had a psych eval, met with a nutritionist, and had an EDG. My date was Jan. 21, but I had to delay it due to work stuff. My new date is February 20. I was nervous for awhile, but now I am just excited to get this done. Sounds like you have done some good preparing with shakes and stuff, I have ordered nothing lol. Should get on that soon, where did you order your stuff from? Well good luck, keep in touch!

check out my blog!

Liz1029
on 1/12/14 7:18 am
VSG on 02/11/14

Thank you!  Congrats on making your decision as well.  Sorry to hear that your insurance didn't cover it.  Our dates are pretty close!  I was approved mid December but planned to wait and  have the surgery in Feb because of work too.  It seems like it's taking forever for the day to come, but now that it's getting closer I think time is finally speeding up a bit and I'm excited.  Today I ordered the Isopure RTD from Lucky Vitamin.  They seemed to have them for the least amount at $40 for the 12 packs.  I also bought protein powder samples from Nashua Nutrition and BJ's bariatrics.  I plan on ordering the chicken soup from unjury as well.  Good luck to you!

mollz007
on 1/12/14 7:21 am
VSG on 02/20/14

I am on the unjury website right now ordering packets of different flavors. I want to get all the chocolate ones, and I have also heard good things about the chicken soup ones.mail

check out my blog!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 391 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views