Why no dairy (yogurt)?

isign4u
on 1/1/14 12:30 pm
I haven't had the chance to ask my doctor, but I'm wondering why I am not allowed dairy (except cheese****il 6 months? More specifically, I am not allowed yogurt which doene brands are high in protein. I realize yogurt also has some carbs, but a serving of three ounces does not seem unreasonable. I'm just trying to understand what may be the reasons behind not allowing yogurt until 6 months. Any thoughts? My plan calls for meat, eggs and cheese ONLY. No refried beans, no veggies, no yogurt, no SF pudding, etc... I'm trying to find ways to "spice" up my meat choices, but I'm so limited. I have looked at several of the food blogs for ideas, but many of the recipes use veggies or beans etc... I am dying for something sweet like yogurt or SF pudding as well as some variety in my meat choices (I have never been a huge meat eater). I can't wait until I can have cauliflower and a yogurt. Until then I continue to search for ways to make meat interesting.
"One mistake does not a day make"        
mickeymantle
on 1/1/14 2:23 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I never heard of a plan that does not allow yogurt I was allowed any yogurt without chunks on full liquid stage day 2 after surgery  also sf pudding

most protein shakes are made with dairy or vegetable protein

I have been eating veggies since about 1 month out , I need the fiber to help with constipation

I would call my surgeon to check on his plan

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

pineview01
on 1/1/14 2:33 pm - Davison, MI

I haven't heard of any not allowed dairy unless they had an allergy.  Now ours didn't allow red meat until 6 months but I could eat that before chicken.  Your plan is about op of mine.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

G5x5
on 1/1/14 4:51 pm - VA

It's probably a carb thing.  A high percentage of the instructions given out are to retrain patient's eating habits.

Regular yogurt isn't all that great for you and people tend to over do it.  It's a lot like salads that way, they fall into the mind set that "hey I'm having yogurt (or a salad), which is better for you".  Then they over eat and consume way to many calories.  Often they go even further by adding lots of other calories like fruits (or salad dressing).

On top of that, yogurt is a slider food that won't fill you up once you get past the earlier stages (less than four weeks).  That means you won't get the hunger control that solid lean meat protein will give you.  You could say they same about milk, calories without hunger control.

Light Greek yogurt is usually on the allowable list for everyone early on.  It has fewer carbs and more protein.  However, in spite of it's frequent use here on OH, I really don't think it's a great choice.  It's probably an okay choice at best.  Considering the limits on food intake, there are simply better choices for protein and hunger control.  The same could be said for retried beans in the long run.

SF pudding is just a snack with no real benefit to you.  During liquids phase it can bridge a gap but is otherwise useless to you.  Snacking is a bad habit you don't want to get back into.

Veggies I don't fully understand.  Once healed, veggies should be the go to food after you get your lean protein, and assuming you pick good veggies.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

isign4u
on 1/1/14 5:57 pm
The slider food thing makes sense. My doctor's plan seems pretty aggressive with solid protein from the beginning. Obviously, they don't want us developing bad habits. It is difficult not to compare my plan with others when I hear of people eating cream soups, refried beans, yogurt, applesauce, etc.. I plan to just stay the course, but was curious. Thanks for your thoughts! At eight weeks we can add a half cup of veggies. I think they don't want us to fill up on those before we satisfy the protein requirements. That is why they are not added back in until a later stage. Meat it is for now!
"One mistake does not a day make"        
michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 1/2/14 3:15 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

I have to say that I've enjoyed a bit of fat free refried beans with protein powder and fajita seasoning.  I keep it to an ounce with 2 ounces of chicken and it's pretty doggone tasty, has plenty of protein, some fiber, and very low carbs and calories. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 124 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 356 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 403 views