Where are the "heavyweights" at?

StacyAnn07
on 12/21/13 12:15 pm - Del City, OK

I have wanted to have WLS for about 8 years and I finally have the funding to do so! The problem I'm now faced with it trying to decide which procedure I would like to have. I was head strong for RNY until I learned about the DS and now I'm here wondering about the VSG! Here is a little bit about me, I weigh 388 pounds and need to lose 230 pounds. I have an addiction to sugar also, which is why I was wanting the RNY. I feel like I could be successful with a sleeve and use the tool wisely but a lot of folks seem to think differently. I'd love to hear your story about success. Especially if you had a sugar addiction and/or had 200#'s or more to lose! Thanks so much everyone :)

Stacy

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 12/21/13 12:53 pm - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

Hey there.  Im similar but not exact  not a sugar addict but definitly a carb addict.  I started at 495, and 362 before sUurgery.  That was 4 days ago  getting my head straight before surgery was the hardest part. Surgery has been a breese, especially with the people here.the head needs to be fixed first, or its alot harder. 

Regardless, you are strong enough to do this.  Believe in yourself and your body will catch up 

princesswimmer24
on 12/21/13 1:00 pm - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

I weighed 411 when I started the process. I had surgery 4 months ago and have lost 64lbs so far. I have sugar issues for sure. I see a counselor 1x/wk to help keep my head in the game. It is definitely doable. I have seem many on here that were heavyweights and had success with this surgery. I would do as much research as possible and don't let anyone talk you into a decision. For me personally, RNY was never an option. Surgically it would've been trickier and much riskier for me. Also my biggest fear was/is regain. The people I know that had RNY lost a ton of weight, but the majority stretched their tummy's back out and regained most if not all the weight they lost. Good luck and let us know what you decide!!

mickeymantle
on 12/21/13 2:08 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

if you eat sugar with the rny it can be dangerous for some people , a lot of rny people get reactive hyperglycemia, , which can make your blood sugar drop real fast and you can pass out or worst 

there are many heavy weights that do great with the vsg

It is my surgeons preferred surgery for heavy weights , it is safer , less complications , about the same weight loss just a little slower

some people get the rny because the think that dumping will stop them from eating junk, but dumping only happens to 30% of rny people and it sometimes goes away the rny has much greater chance of food geting stuck than the sleeve or ds , and also a better chance that the pouch they make will stretch

the ds gives fast and a lot of weight loss , but there is a greater chance of malnutrition, and you need to take tons of supplements

many people with the ds get lots of smelly gas and diarrhea, the most common problem with the sleeve is constipation , and it is treated with marilax or milk of magnesia

non of the wls will work if you don't stick to you surgeons plan , you can drink milkshakes with any of them and gain weight

you need to get your sugar addiction under control before surgery , therapy  works for many people 

wls is a life time commitment take your time and get as much info as possible and also take the time to prepare yourself m thats one reason insurance companies require 6 month of supervised diets , so you have time to prepare yourself , pm me if you have any questions

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

themexcellentone
on 12/21/13 3:13 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I started this journey weighing slightly more than you--I began at 397 (my consult weight).  I lost 37 pounds pre-op, and have lost a total of 127 pounds since June.  I am just 100 pounds shy of my goal, which puts me at a total of 227 pounds to lose.  Do I think I'll get there?  You bet.

Any WLS is just a tool...and any of the WLS procedures can be eaten around easily enough.  While the surgery is a permanent physical fix, the psychological aspect of WLS is one that requires continuous maintenance and care.  I really believe that therapy has been one of the most important components of my aftercare that has helped me to be successful.  Find out WHY you have this addiction to sugar.  Uncovering the root of your behaviors will help you to be more successful in your weight loss, no matter what procedure you ultimately decide to have.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

cappy11448
on 12/21/13 9:18 pm

Hi Stacy,

I started the weight loss process last January at 385 pounds.  I had surgery last May, and I've lost 163 pounds in the year.  VSG will work for you if you make the commitment and stick to the program. 

I also am addicted to sugar, so I went cold-turkey last January and have limited my carbs to the ones I get from dairy and low-carb veggies.  I hold my carbs below 40, and usually around 25 grams of carbs per day.  Once I took a couple bites of rice, and the next day I was wearing a path to the refrigerator, so I know that limiting carbs is essential to my success.  Some people can eat carbs without problems, but many of us who have been morbidly obese are very sensitive to carbs.  I know if I eat carbs, I'm going to have food cravings that overwhelm my will power.  So I'm very strict about it.

I found that the weight loss surgery is an excellent tool for weight loss.  The small capacity of the stomach helps, but it also changed by drives for food making it easier to comply. 

I am so much healthier and happier.  I love my sleeve.

I know many people who had the RNY, and are equally happy.  Many find that dumping assists in their weight loss, but I did not want to deal with dumping.  I also was concerns abut the mal-absorption and feared vitamin deficiencies. 

I'm sure which ever way you go, you'll succeed if you can stick to your diet and exercise plan, and avoid the carbs.

Best of luck with your decision.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

justpete
on 12/21/13 9:21 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

If sugar or carbs in general are a real problem for you and you feel you cannot control them (FOREVER) ... RNY or DS might be the way to go.  with VSG, you can eat whatever you want without limits (except volume).  It would be easy to regain or just not lose to begin with if you cant cut the sugar and carbs.  With the RNY or DS you will likely have a physical disincentive to train you and help you break free of the carbs.  thats my recommendation.  Do not choose the surgery for you based on how much you have to lose.  Choose based on what your issues are and what you feel you can be successful losing and maintaining with.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Nancybefree
on 12/21/13 9:22 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

I've lost 193 -- close enough to 200?  My surgeon was completely supportive of my preference to get the sleeve rather than RNY, despite my weight being 357 at my first consult.

No  matter which surgery you elect to have, you still have to commit to the very important self-care postop, like weighing/measuring and logging your food and fluids, avoiding foods which were triggers for you preop, taking your prescribed vitamins and supplements, and getting some exercise.  It's very doable if you do it.  The sleeve or pouch helps with restriction and portion control, but it doesn't do all the work. 

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

MihkailaInIndy
on 12/21/13 9:40 pm - IN
VSG on 06/26/13

I was almost exactly where you are when I had surgery in June. I am now down nearly 100 lbs, and may hit the mark by my 6 mo surgiversary.

HW:409 SW: 382  CW: 220  M1:-28  M2:-17  M3:-14  M4:-15  M5:-14  M6:-12  M7:-10  M8:-9  M9:-5   M10:-5  M11:-6  M12: -11 M13: -5  M14: -4  M15:-5  M16:?

Laura in Texas
on 12/21/13 9:43 pm

There is a BMI over 50 forum. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/bmi_over_50/

As others have said, all surgeries can be eaten around. The mental part is most important. Good luck in your journey.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 107 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 385 views