Tell me a story

RissaCup
on 12/23/13 3:35 am

I know everyones story is different on how they dealt with the days prior during and after surgery. My surgery date is coming up soon. Anyone who wants to share with their few hours before and after the surgery would be amazing. Some people have told me about their nausea, peeing themselves, throwing up blood.. I basically want to know the details of both bad and good so im prepared. Please share.... Thanks

Karissa H 5'4.5" | A 27 | HW 311 | SW 270 CW 142.4 | GW #1 147 | GW #2 133 comparison          

rengirl1978
on 12/23/13 3:47 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Hi! The days leading up to my surgery, which was on 12/18 were fine. I had 2 days of a light diet, and the day before was liquid only. I did okay with it, but the night before I had to go to grocery store and that was torture. My surgery was the first of the day so I had to arrive at 5:30am. I was really excited and just had to wait it out while they get everyone ready. The anesthesiologist came to see me, and then my surgeon. I remember being taken into OR and then anesthesiologist putting mask on my face and asking me to breathe deep. Next this I know I am in a loud room with people kind of running around and all kinds of alarms going off... turns out that was the recovery area, and I didn't like it at all! I finally got to my room and I don't remember too much, but I was really nauseous. I never did vomit though. I did keep getting hiccups which were painful! I was on a pain pump, but I didn't feel the need to use it that much. I went home on the 20th. Everything has been great! Minimal pain, hardly any nausea, but I have had to be careful with passing gas....OOPS! Lol So here I am 5 days post-op and I wish I had a scale that worked! I can already see my body shrinking though. Good luck to ya!

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

happyteacher
on 12/23/13 4:02 am

Leading up to surgery I was prepping my home and stocking the pantry with appropriate choices.  Not all poor choices were purged.  I was very lucky, not nervous at all and crazy excited.  My husband was a nervous wreck, so in part I felt I had to be brave for him I suppose.

Morning of surgery- check in, weigh in (last time I ever will see a 3 as the first digit of my weight!), chat with the anesthesiologist, then off to la la land.  Surgery took a couple hours longer than originally thought due to a hiatal hernia that was very, very difficult to locate.  Kudso to my surgeon for perservering, because I went from horrible Gerd to non at all post-op. Love that man.  I had to spend a little extra time in the recovery room due to vomiting.  Nothing horrible.  Switched to my room and had nausea issues.  Once I came to enough I told them to stop the morphine and I felt better right away.  Walked and sipped, gas pain was uncomfortable but tolerable.  Next couple days the biggest issue was the gas pain, but overall a very, very easy recovery.  

Lesson learned- I just had my tummy tuck and had them give me anti nausea meds prior to surgery and no use of morphine- so much better waking up!!!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Sandy M.
on 12/23/13 4:09 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

My surgery was revision from Lap Band to VSG - I was warned in advance that they might not be able to do both in one surgery, so that was the part that worried me the most a couple of days prior.

I had to be at the hospital at 5 am for a 7 am surgery.  When my alarm went off, I took a shower with the special soap they gave me, then dressed in what I would wear home from the hospital - roomy sweats and a t-shirt.  I packed my favorite pillow, my CPAP machine, my phone, and chapstick; that's all I needed.  

Got to the hospital and there was a parade of people in and out of the room.  I got undressed, and someone came and packed up my belongings and said they'd be waiting for me in my room.  I met lots of nurses; one started my IV.  An anesthesiologist came in - turns out she wasn't mine, but she answered all my questions and concerns, especially about my history of extreme nausea following surgery.  I thought about getting up and leaving all the way up to being wheeled into the operating room suite, where there was at least 10 people and lots of activity.  They asked me if I would be comfortable laying flat or it I wanted a pillow under my knees - the pillow was so much better.  Then, out like a light.  In recovery, I don't remember opening my eyes, but I did answer the nurse's questions.  They had to mess with my CPAP machine to deliver oxygen because without it my levels went way down.  

Back in my room, I had a pain pump, which I regret using.  Even though they had put me on all sorts of anti-nausea medication and a skin patch, the dry heaving started.  That was real fun dealing with visitors while that was going on!  Late morning I asked to get up and walk; I heeded the advice of so many helpful people here on OH.  I resolved to stop using my pain pump since I knew that was the cause of my nausea.  I also really wanted water - all I could have the first day was ice chips and swabs to moisten my mouth.

My surgeon came in, and first question I asked was if he did both the removal of the band and the VSG (and fixed a hernia).  I was very happy when he said yes!

Overnight, very little sleep with nurses coming in every hour to take your blood pressure and other vitals.  They tried a new anti-nausea med through the IV, which burned.  My sweet nurse held my hand and massaged my arm to make it bearable for me.  

Next day, more walking.  The nausea was under control, and I had a "swallow test", which is just an upper GI.  I passed that test, so they brought me "lunch", which was a nasty protein drink, some chicken broth, and some jello.  Apparently I ate enough to be declared fit for discharge, but my surgeon's PA was busy all day, so I didn't leave until close to 6 pm.  I stopped at the pharmacy on my way out to fill my prescriptions (Prilosec, Reglan for nausea but never did need it), get some liquid Tylenol and the Bariatric Advantage chewables they told me to start taking.

My Niece took me home, and I was on my own from there, which was just fine.  I took 2 naps a day for the first week, and got out to walk a couple of times a day.  The only thing I needed help with was lifting heavy things.  I live in a camper during the summer months, so I had help filling my propane tanks once.  

My main advice is to learn the difference between discomfort and pain.  You will have discomfort from the gas they pump you full of.  I had very little true pain.  You'd think I'd learn from my previous surgeries not to use that darn pain pump unless I really needed it!

Good luck to you - you'll be just fine!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Shagdoll
on 12/23/13 4:10 am, edited 12/23/13 4:12 am

A few hours before surgery, I was already checked into kaiser.  I remember feeling calm (thanks to the anxiety meds I took the night before from my surgeon).  I was ready.  I remember being rolled into the operating room where I was still awake even though I was just put under anesthesia.  They strapped my arms & my legs.  I even remember looking off to the side to see my surgeon talking to a medical staff person by the entrance/exit of the double doors, then we locked eyes.  I'm sure they try to stay out of sight for the most part until it's surgery time.  Don't think they want us freaking out before, lol.  I went right to sleep before I had 1 last chance to say another little prayer.  That was it before surgery!!!

After surgery, I woke up and was like, "Whaaaat"??  I was just thinking to myself, "Am I sleeved??  Time to get skinny now"???  I was happy, I ain't gonna lie. 

Then... later the nausea kicked in full force.  I never threw up though but damn... I almost hurled at the smell of the hot dog my son brought in when he came to visit.  But all was well.  The nausea was doable and if that was the worst I had to deal with, I would have done it all over again.

Best of luck to you with your sleeve coming up!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Scribbles
on 12/23/13 4:41 am - Canada
VSG on 12/05/13

I had lost a significant amount of weight pre-op, and luckily I didn't have to do any huge liquid diet leading up to my surgery date.  My surgery was on a Thursday and I had to do clear liquids only on Wednesday, nothing after midnight.  My surgery was scheduled for 11:30 and I had to be at the hospital at 9:30.  I checked in at the nurses station and was lead to a room to prepare.  They gave me 6 wipes and instructions on which areas of my body to wipe down.  My vitals were taken, blood was drawn and I was given an injection into my stomach to help prevent blood clots.  From there, the big wait began, and finally an hour after my scheduled surgery time, a nurse came in, gave me a medicine cup of the most horrible tasting stuff...that was to settle the acid in my stomach.  We walked down to the operating area and I was put into a bed with a special gown...it had holes in it and a plastic lining that they put a tube into and it blows warm air onto your body during the procedure to keep your core temperature up.  My surgeon came to see me, then the anesthesiologist.  After waiting some more, a nurse wheeled me to the OR and I walked inside...as I climbed up onto the operating table, I was asked to state my name and the procedure being performed.  I lay down, and they got the IV started, then the mask went over my face and it was lights out.

The next thing I remember was someone asking me to wake up and move from one bed to another, telling me I would be more comfortable...they were literally smacking my cheek to get me to wake up!  I remember shaking my head no, but I must have done it, because after that I woke up in my room and my husband and kids were walking in...they were only there for a few minutes, i was very out of it.  I woke up a couple of hours later and got up by myself and wheeled my IV thing to the washroom to pee for the first time...there wasn't a problem there, but from standing up, the dry heaving started.  I never actually threw up, but was nauseous for a little bit after.  I wasn't able to drink anything, but was allowed to rinse my mouth out and use mouth swabs - which don't help very much when all you want is a drink of water!  It wasn't until the next day, Friday morning, that they took to me to do the swallow test.  That liquid was also horrible, and about two hours later my surgeon came in to tell me that I was able to start sipping water.  My dietician came in shortly after and told me I could have some jello as well, and not to be alarmed if all I could manage was a teaspoon or two...and she was exactly right.  Any combination of more than 2 of anything made things painful and uncomfortable.  I could have a sip of water and a bite of jello, but if I tried more, then there was a pressure in my torso.  

I was discharged the next day, and I've done okay since.  I have questioned why I did this in the first few days...it's very frustrating not to be able to quench my thirst with a good gulp of water...still being on fluids is frustrating, and being surrounded by food at this time of year (and unsympathetic relatives) doesn't help.  It was about 5 days after surgery that I felt like myself again...passing gas wasn't an issue, but the gas in my torso and stomach was not nice...I wasn't allowed to take anything, not even Tums for the gas, I was just told to walk.  I was prescribed meds for the acid in my stomach and was also prescribed liquid Tylenol 3, which I took three times.  

Overall, things have gone very smoothly and I've had no complications.  The hardest part has been not eating...I'm sick of sweet things and miss meat!  LOL  I'd love nothing more than some tuna or chicken, but that's not until Jan. 2nd for me.  I was very excited to move from clear fluids to full fluids...tomato soup, potato soup, cream of chicken soup are the best right now, after nothing but jello and sweet protein shakes!

childof60s
on 12/23/13 6:29 am
VSG on 12/17/13

Wow I feel sorry for all the people *****ported their experiences so far!  Mine is very... nothing!  My surgery was six days ago, December 17th.  I was, of course, very very nervous the morning of the surgery.  I've had anesthesia before and had trouble with nausea and vomiting and was terrified I'd once again be sick to my stomach.  I was also second guessing my decision to have the surgery because, well, I wasn't THAT fat (yeah, right!).

Right before the surgery, all went perfectly, from putting in the IV to meeting with the anesthesiologist (I told my tale of woe of anesthesiology past, and he assured me that there would be NONE of that as far as he was concerned!) and later the surgeon whose confidence and bright smile really was appreciated at that moment of sheer terror.

The last thing I remember was transferring from the stretcher to the surgical bed, and commenting that it was SOOOO small.  I remember nothing more!

I woke up just a little in recovery and remember them asking me how I felt and I said I was a little nauseous but not enough to puke.  They gave me some meds IV and my nausea never was a big issue after that.

I don't remember being wheeled to my room.  I was fortunate to have a very quiet single room with the BEST nursing staff!    They had me walking within 6 hours of being brought to my room!  My biggest issue was thirst.  I couldn't drink anything until after the leak test the next day. 

I couldn't get very comfortable that night due to gas pains, and of course they had people in and out most of the night doing blood pressure, temperature, blood glucose (had diabetes.... notice PAST TENSE!), a blood draw, it wasn't a restful night but I was grateful for the peace and quiet in my room.

The next morning, after many walks to deal with gas pain and to stretch out, which felt GREAT, I had the leak test (kinda gross oily stuff they made me take two big sips of but they said I did GREAT by doing it right the first time and didn't have to take anymore!), I was allowed small sips of water.  It felt weird but I was soooo happy!  Then, two hours later, I was given the most divine lunch: decaf tea and chicken soup!  I was unstoppable!  

The rest of the stay was absolutely perfect.  I used the pain pump as needed (it was dilaudid) and really had no major pain issues of note.  I took small sips of various drinks (water, iced tea, chicken and beef broth) as per the 2 oz every 20 minutes schedule.  I walked and walked around the floor.   They wouldn't take out the IV and let me go home until I peed enough to fill a little bowl they had attached to the toilet.  That was the only thing that held me up, I could pee, just not enough!  Finally I did the deed and was released home.

I have to tell ya, that first night home STUNK.  I had horrible gas pains and couldn't get in or out of bed so I slept in the recliner in my living room.  My husband was an angel, he slept on the couch to keep nearby.  That was the only time I have to admit was rough and I was a bit frightened I  was in so much pain when I had felt so good when I was in the hospital earlier that day.

The next morning my Gas-X strips and liquid hydrocodene with Tylenol did the trick.   I'd say by that night, I was over the hump and was able to sleep in my own bed with tons of pillows to cushion front, back and side. :)   I'm alternating sipping Isopure Ready to Drink, Blue raspberry flavor with Diet Snapple, beef and chicken broth, sugar free cocoa, sugar free ice pops, and am managing to get all 50 grams of Protein and all the liquids in without any major problems as long as I remember SMALL SINGLE SIPS!  If not, it feels strangely full and I get a gurgly sound in my throat and belly. :)

Even though I felt great in the hospital the day after my surgery and wanted so badly to get home, in retrospect I think a second night in the hospital would have been beneficial, mostly for the bed and knowing health professionals were available to help me through that second day gas pain.  

So, no nausea, peeing myself, throwing up blood or anything else here!  Smooth sailing except for that first night home with gas pains which dissipated the next morning!

And the best part: I've already lost a lot of weight!!  

Good luck, and friend me!  

Co60s

Immediately after surgery: Blood sugars normal, metformin discontinued! Month 1: 18.2 lbs lost;  Month 2: 11 lbs lost.  Month 3: 11 lbs lost

Chris A.
on 12/23/13 6:48 am - Colfax, CA
VSG on 11/20/12

I too was nervous leading up to the big day. Not sure what to expect. Never had surgery. The anesthesiologist gave me something to relax first thing and that took the edge off. I was first up that morning, so I was in early. I remember being wheeled to the OR. I remember moving my head about checking things out and I recall the anesthesiologist saying something like, are you still here? Then I woke up in the recovery area. I guess I cracked my wife and the staff up, though I remember none of this. I must have read up too much because I was rattling off a list of med's and actions with the nurse to make sure they had done everything. I do remember just kind of zoning out there (no pain, no nausea), just the occasional alarm and then the nurse reminding me to take deep breaths (guess I would zone out, breath shallow, o2 sensor would read low blood o2, then I'd breath deep and all was good). Apparently a very colorful and flamboyant male nurse came running in at some point looking for Tums. Seems he had eaten too much at their lunch potluck (it was 2 days before Thanksgiving last year). After telling everyone how full he was and how he really needed a Tums he looked at me and quickly apologized saying I probably didn't want to hear about food. Too funny, but I have no recollection of that at all.

Got up to my room and zoned in and out in rhythm with the pain med pump. Never had any issues with nausea or pain really. I walked my first lap at 10 pm that night. I remember getting pissed because we passed a scale and the nurse had me hop on. I weighed more then than earlier that day (must have been the gallon of IV fluids running through me!). The next day I remember using less and less of the pain meds. To the point where the nurse cautioned me not to avoid them or I would be worse off at home. As it was the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and I was discharged at 6pm in downtown Sacramento, CA and I live about 45 minutes away without traffic, the ride home was the worst part for me. That was the longest hour and a half ride. Otherwise, once home, I took the pain meds at night for two nights and never looked back. Started walking laps at home the next day. I do remember being afraid to nap because I did not want to get behind in sipping water and protein drinks. Otherwise, I had no issues at all with my recovery. Great nurses. Great surgeon.

joatsaint
on 12/23/13 8:45 am - TX

Here's how I dealt with my pre-op anxiety - I was in denial! Yep, I told myself it wasn't happening... worked for me. :-P

Here's my video about it.

http://youtu.be/DDYQzK0kC9g

Free ebook - The Top 10 Weight Loss Surgery Fears and How to Kick Their Butt!

Check out my Youtube channel where I answer your Most Frequently Asked Questions.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Frankensleeve/videos

sillymilly
on 12/23/13 8:47 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

My mother flew up from FL to help me out.  I drove to the hospital early in the morning so I could show her and my son the route.  It was an hour drive and I had to be there at 9am for check-in.  I was scheduled for surgery at noon, but there was a delay (of course) and I didn't get taken back to pre-op until around 2:30. I didn't start getting nervous until they put the IV in.  They had this great chair that I sat in for getting my IV, then when they were ready to take me back for surgery they just raised the legs and lowered the back, and it was a stretcher!  It was pretty comfortable so I hadn't even thought it was a stretcher.  

Kudos to the anesthesiologist, because I don't remember anything after they started pushing me out of pre-op.  I remember waking up briefly in post-op to see my mom and son standing there.  I could barely manage to tell them I was fine, I couldn't stay awake.  I don't remember being put in my room either.  I faintly remember a nurse putting on the oxygen monitor and the BP cuff.  

When I finally managed to wake up I tried to walk right away.  I needed a walker but I did pretty good.  The pain wasn't bad unless I was trying to get into and out of bed.  There was an issue with my oxygen level dropping too low and running a low fever, so I was given some additional drugs and had to keep the oxygen on. The next morning I was taken to Radiology for my leak test.  I had a hard time swallowing the barium and standing for the pictures.  It was cool to see the barium going down and seeing the outline of my new tiny stomach though.  After that it was a pretty boring day.  I was given tiny little cups of broth and jello that I had to try to eat.  The floor I was on was all GI surgery patients.  They had regular "get up and move" time, when they would play music and encourage everyone to get out of their rooms and walk around.  I spent another night in the hospital, and Friday they removed my drain and let me go home.   Before I left the nurse had me call my pharmacy to make sure they had the liquid oxycodone they were prescribing, because they said not everyone carries it.  

On my hour ride home I was only a little uncomfortable, in hindsight having a pillow to hold against my stomach would have been nice.  

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views