day 2 major nausea

SleeverMom
on 12/11/13 10:33 am
I had my vsg surgery yesterday and in recovery I started to experience nausea! They have given me the anti nausea med but it doesn't help and this morning I had to vomit. I I don't recall reading about this help!!!!!

CW-300 SW(12/10)-293  CW-272 GW-145

LosingSarah
on 12/11/13 11:57 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

My doctor told me that some patients experience nausea for a little while, but it gets better.

I threw up the day after my surgery after I had to drink barium (GROSS!!!!!) and it was terrible. Full of blood and it tasted like blood and barium.

Hang in there. It will get better.

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/13 12:24 pm - Redlands, CA

That sounds horrible! I hate the taste of blood. Did you have a leak somewhere?

LosingSarah
on 12/11/13 1:24 pm - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

No leaks. I guess the blood is totally normal from the surgery. My doctor assured me that if one does vomit that early there will be blood in it.

Annievvho
on 12/11/13 12:38 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

I was terribly nauseated, too. I didn't have any nausea free days until about 5-6 days out, and the nausea came back on day 9 and I got sick. See if they'll try a different med. Zofran worked really well for me, but you may react differently and need something else. They don't want you to keep getting sick, because if you can't keep yourself hydrated at home, they can't send you there. Make them get it under control.

Annievvho
on 12/11/13 12:39 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

Oh, by the way, the first 2 days I was nauseated on top of the meds. Day 3 it got a little better for me. Good luck!

Pammerx
on 12/11/13 1:39 pm - OR

Hi Sweetie, 

So sorry about that. Sometimes just the anesthesia can do that to some folks. My surgeons advice was simply if you even for a moment feel like you are nauseated get the medication and do not eat or drink anything until that feeling passes.Make sure you get anti nausea meds for home as well. They have on...zofran that will melt on your tongue and works almost instantaneously. Good luck with that.

Blessings, 

Pam

Stacy Sikes
on 12/11/13 3:19 pm - OR
I never had that problem, before I went in to surgery they gave me two different injectable meds that, then had a patch behind my ear. My surgeon was way ready for that complication. I did have it once since I was released and over the counter drugs did not work. So I got RX for Ondansetron. It helped amazing and no return of it.

RNY on 12/2/13 with Emma Patterson,    Highest  Weight: 352 ; . Surgery Day: 334

Sandy M.
on 12/11/13 7:46 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Very common - I spent a day dry heaving while in the hospital, so I feel your pain literally.  Are you still on narcotic pain meds?  I know for me they are the culprit, especially when given through an IV.  Once I switched to liquid Tylenol I was fine.  I used all the anti-nausea meds they could throw at me except Zofran and Reglan came the closest for me.  I knew from a previous surgery that Zofran gives me a horrible headache and they would end up giving me Tylenol anyway.

Walking helped a little too.  I'm so sorry you're feeling bad - this is the worst of it, I promise!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

SleeverMom
on 12/11/13 11:02 pm
Thanks all I feel better today but oddly the RN gave me Ativan which took away the nausea and allowed me to sleep! I had the patch behind my ear prior to surgery and they gave me zofran which didnt help at all but now I can sip water and drink tea....baby steps!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 352 views