Pre-Surgery Crazy!

aimz822
on 12/5/13 11:24 pm - Caledonia, NY
Revision on 01/14/14

Hi!!  I just got my date for my revision VSG for Januay 14th.  It has been a really long time coming, many appeals  since my band slipped last February.  Long story short, I had no choice but to gain nearly 50 pounds to get this revision because apparently I was "cured" of my obesity at the time of the slip.....  All is good now.  I have just over a month to start a new life again.  I have missed my Band, even though it didn't work out, I know what feeling healthy is all about.  I want that back!  

So, what is my problem?  I have been on a crazy binge since getting my date on Wednesday!  What is up with that?  I know all about restriction and moderation and actually feeling full and don't ever remember this crazy feeling of "I need that burger and bag of chips even though I just ate an hour ago and can barely button my pants...."!  I just feel that when I had to "give in" and gain the weight to get the approval that something nutty clicked on in my brain and I can't turn it off.

Have any of you experienced this and what helped you out or do I just surrender until my pre-op liquid diet date of January 1 comes around.  Man, at this rate I could grow out of the only pair of pants I can squeeze into by Sunday!! LOL.

Any help is appreciated.  I do know what I need to do and I actually am very compliant, but it feels like I have a reprieve until the 1st.  Tough love welcomed!  Even a good shaking welcome!!

Thanks for letting me lurk here, can't wait to be on the loser bench!

Aimz

abbyluwho
on 12/6/13 12:13 am - kc, MO
VSG on 06/25/13 with

I won't lie.  After I got my date, I ate everything I loved, that I knew I wouldn't be touching again for a long, long, long time, if ever again.  My situation was a little hairy, and I only had 3 weeks between the schedule and the surgery, and 2 weeks of that was liquid pre-op! 

The question is, will you be able to walk away from all that over eating and indulging when the time comes?  If you can honestly and truly say, Yup.  Once surgery is done, this is not how I will live, eat, act.  Then go for it.  Have your food funerals, and say your adios'.  

My unasked for opinion is, that if you had gotten to a healthy spot with your band, and you know how good that healthy felt, then you have a leg up on those of us who were just starting out not knowing how good healthy feels.   You already know it isn't acceptable behavior otherwise you wouldn't have asked for support here!  

Good luck to you!

HW 276 ( 2008)  SW 228 (6-25-2013) CW 165 (12-23-2013)  Goal: 150

aimz822
on 12/6/13 2:19 am - Caledonia, NY
Revision on 01/14/14

I really appreciate the response.  I just never remember feeling like I was a mad-woman before getting banded.  I had such an incredible difficult time for 4 months trying to keep my head and body together after the band slipped in February.  When I came to the realization that I had no other choice but to gain my weight to get the approval (or come up with $$$ out of pocket), it never was like I was just going to take it easy and enjoy the ride, I was feeling so awful about how I couldn't manage this without help....  I felt like a failure and for so long couldn't believe that an insurance company would EVER tell me to GAIN weight and undo all of my 3 years of success.  Even now I can't understand why I can't get it together.  Perhaps you have hit the nail on the head and I am just preparing for the "food funerals". This definitely goes hand in hand with my unhealthy association with food as: comfort, punishment, reward, drug etc.  

I needed to definitely be called out on the fact that I am one of the lucky ones to know that the right tool can get you to the right place. Just didn't think I would ever have to start over. Alas, I am going to go back to that place soon!   I believe that I need to focus on how good that felt for so long and not focus on all the un-doing from the past year.  I am still me.  Thank you Abbyluwho!

pharmagirl_45
on 12/6/13 2:57 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

I am in the same mind frame.  My date is also January 14th and I made a list of all the things I wanted to eat before I start my liquid diet!  I don't want to gain more weight because then it will be more I have to take off. lol

I'm trying to control it now.  I know that New Years Eve will be my night to eat and drink A LOT! lol

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

aimz822
on 12/6/13 6:06 am - Caledonia, NY
Revision on 01/14/14

Glad to find someone with the same date!!  I have really struggled for a couple of days, but am thinking that I am going to make a list of some of those favorite things as well and not waste the calories on those things that really are just garbage anyway.  I am going to try to get some of the shakes to try soon so that I can gear up to the pre-op diet. 

Protein has always been an issue with me...... Before my Band and after....  The biggest downfall was when I got the Band removed, I could eat bread again.  I have not stopped that insanity yet, but need to conquer that very, very soon.

Water is another thing that I have not been good at getting in at ALL!  

Thanks for the words!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 307 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 353 views