binges and 3 months post op

bostonlass
on 12/3/13 2:46 am - MA
VSG on 08/27/13

Hi,

So it's been a little over 3 months since my gastric sleeve surgery and I"ve lost over 50 lbs so far. That is great! I'm very happy with the way my weight loss is going.

Here's the thing.....what with the holidays and all the goodies floating around I have found that although I cannot binge on apples and cheese, I can very much so binge on the holiday Pepperidge farm cookies and milk! I honestly was floored with how many I could eat once I started binging on them. I searched through this and other sites and although I could find threads were people binged pre-surgery, I couldn't find much about afterwards.  For now I just stay away from them since clearly just one sets me off. I'm so grateful that I had the opportunity to sit and reflect on what I had done. This happened once so far but it was enough to scare me into thinking I could just as easily go back to my old ways if I continue down that path.

Has anyone else binged post sleeve and if so how do you prevent it now? Do you do anything different than before?

Thanks!

tdallison
on 12/3/13 2:55 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I have not had this type of problem but I would suggest you clear out trigger foods like this from your home.  Why put temptation in your way?

Toni Dallison

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13

bostonlass
on 12/3/13 2:58 am - MA
VSG on 08/27/13

I have two kids and one loves the holiday cookies. Both kids are skinny minnies so  don't feel right making them go without just because I don't have control. Good suggestion though since that would eliminate the problem altogether!

themexcellentone
on 12/3/13 11:36 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Don't think about it as having them go without.  Think about this opportunity as a way to model healthy eating and food-related behaviors.  You've identified this as a food you binge on, and keeping it out of the house ensures that you have control over your environment.  Both my husband and I keep any food that we know are trigger foods out of the house entirely (we are both sleeve patients).  Before we had surgery, we threw away every food in the house that we could potentially lose control eating so that our environment was something we COULD control. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

mimij
on 12/3/13 3:21 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I think we would all be fooling ourselves if we said this has never happened to us, at least that is the case here. It took me longer to have a slip up. At 3 months postop I just did not allow the possibility of saying yes to anything outside my plan. I stuck to that until I hit maintenance. Where I have had difficulty is in allowing myself a treat and working it into my maintenance. Sometimes it goes just fine and sometimes it triggers me to oblivion. I am a work in progress and always will be. Being honest with yourself is one part of the equation and the most important part is coming up with strategies to keep it from happening again. How will you deal with it when faced with it again?

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

bostonlass
on 12/3/13 3:43 am - MA
VSG on 08/27/13

Thanks. Well I went back to basics. I had stopped my protein drink in the morning because I wanted real food like eggs so now I'm back to having that and I'm not allowing any "holiday food" in my mouth.  I guess I was feeling festive that day and thought, oh I can have just ONE. HA!!!  I don't do moderation well when it comes to anything with chocolate in it. 

So, back to the basics for me it is until maintenance - protein drink for breakfast, and no carbs unless it's like an apple or a pear, etc. Hopefully this will work. Funny thing is that I lost more this week than I have in a while and that's after having the cookies so maybe it jostled some fat around but NO MORE! 

Miss150
on 12/3/13 3:53 am

Beware!  I have read over and over on this board that your sleeve will not "protect" you from eating all the slider foods you want- the list includes thing like: icecream, all candy and chocolates, crackers, cookies, cakes, breads, nuts, chips, you get the idea- all that "stuff" we couldn't stay away from before WLS.  This is where frisco's committment and compliance to the program comes in.  Choices- oh, the choices!  You are doing so well- continue to do so!  May you practice courage and thoughtful determination in your choices today.  Victory to you!

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

bostonlass
on 12/3/13 4:02 am - MA
VSG on 08/27/13

Thanks for the encouragement! Nuts is another one I will stay away from....never did those in moderation!

fat_chance
on 12/3/13 3:55 am - NY

I AM TWO MONTHS OUT AND HAVE HAD THIS SLIP UP AS WELL....IT IS AMAZING HOW EASILY CARBS AND SWEETS GO DOWN. THERE ARE CERTAINLY WAYS TO GET AROUND THIS SURGERY....YOU JUST HAVE TO BE CAREFUL AND STEER AWAY FROM THEM. FOR ME...I CANNOT KEEP JUNK FOOD IN THE HOUSE, IF ITS NOT IN THE HOUSE...I WONT EAT IT. IM GLAD U POSTED THIS, IT TAKES A LOT OF COURAGE. JUST LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKE AND TRY TO GET BACK ON TRACK ;)

bostonlass
on 12/3/13 4:01 am - MA
VSG on 08/27/13

Thanks for sharing this - it is nice to know I'm not alone!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 283 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views