Having Bad Experience, Don't Know Where to go From Here

hope123
on 11/29/13 4:21 am, edited 11/29/13 4:25 am - MO

I'm 5 weeks post-op and still can't eat soft solid foods.  I had the sleeve and hiatal hernia repair.   Every time I try to eat, whether it be thin yogurt, smooth soup, etc..., it doesn't feel like it wants to go down and sits in my chest.  Tuesday night I threw-up bright yellow fluid.  I went to my bariatric surgeon on Wednesday for a two-week follow-up to having my gallbladder removed, and they sent me to the Outpatient Center so he could do an EGD to check to see if I had a stricture.  No, I did not.  Since I had my gallbladder removed two weeks after the sleeve procedure, they indicated my liver has taken over in creating bile, and was highly over-producing it.  So, they prescribed me a stomach medication to treat ulcers (which I don't have by the way), called Carafate.  I must take it three times per day.  I'm also on Prevacid, which I can't take together and must be taken several hours apart.  I don't understand how Carafate is going to help me be able to eat, since I don't have ulcers, and the food just sits there.  Last night I threw-up bright yellow fluid with brown fluid in it, and of course I still can't eat.  I just don't know what to do anymore.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  I don't know if I should go see a Gastroenterologist or what.  I'm at my wits end. Thank you.

emelar
on 11/29/13 5:16 am - TX

Call your surgeon back and tell him that you're not any better.  He should be able to tell you when he expects you to start feeling better with the medication.  And I think I'd step back from trying food and stick with full liquids until my tummy settled down.

hope123
on 11/29/13 5:26 am - MO

All they'll want me to do is check myself into the hospital to get hooked-up to IV fluids again, and get nutrition through a tube in my stomach.  To me that's not solving the problem.  I'm really regretting having this procedure done.  Sigh...

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/13 5:42 am

then maybe you should!  if you are not getting in fluids or nutrients, then you need to go on IV fluids.

it sounds like you are barfing up bile for sure.

i am so sorry that you are going through this.  i am 4 weeks out and am very picky with what i can and cannot eat.  i can do broth but i cannot do anything with milk or protein powder (than how am i supposed to get my protein in?!?).  sometimes i can manage cottage cheese, and sometimes i cannot (i get pain after swallowing).  it is odd.  i can drink nestea zero in a wink (for hydration) but it takes me 4 hours to get down 1 premier protein shake (which is where the must-needed protein is).  it is a real pain.  eating is now a chore.

i go for my 1 month follow-up next week so i will see what they say.  just know that you are not the only one.  but your situation does sound more serious than mine, so i also suggest you contact your surgeons office directly for assistance.

all the best ...

hope123
on 11/29/13 5:54 am - MO

I thought I was the only person having problems, and I'm sorry to hear your experience isn't going perfect either.  I haven't been able to find any shakes that I like (or can tolerate that is).  I get tons of excess mucous and globs of something in my throat and mouth from them, and they all taste horrible.  I even tried a fruit flavored drink with protein, and it's horrible too.  It smells like hair spray and it really puts globs of whatever it is in my mouth (Isopure Zero Carb Protein Drink).  I was just at my doctor's office on Wednesday, and they had me do the EGD procedure and gave me that medication that I don't understand, so I'm not avoiding the doctor's office.  I just want this resolved, I'm so tired of this.  I'm beginning to think I'll never eat food again.

VSG on 06/12/13
What you are describing a sounds a lot like foamies. Listen to your body and don't force it.

Did you happen to have an hpylori test ore op? A sleeve sister of mine tested positive after surgery and developed gastritis. She was also on carafate and it did help to settle things down. It just took time, and a while to get a definitive diagnosis. Keep asking questions and keep listening to your doc. Feel better soon-

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

hope123
on 11/29/13 10:19 am, edited 11/30/13 6:42 am - MO

Thanks Laurie!  I'm definitely not forcing it, because I'm not eating.  I can't tolerate anything.  My doctor hasn't suggested an HPylori test, so I don't know.  I'm wondering if I should see a Gastroenterologist.  I assume they've worked with WLS patients before I'd hope.

themexcellentone
on 11/29/13 1:44 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Not all GI docs necessarily work with WLS patients. 

Sorry to hear you've had a rough go with the surgery so far.  I hope you're able to get resolution of your issues soon so you can start feeling well again.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

hope123
on 11/30/13 6:44 am - MO

Thanks themexcellentone, it's much appreciated!  :-)

Kecia624
on 11/29/13 2:43 pm

Hello hope123, We had surgery around the same time (Nov. 6, 2013).  I too have had a problem with the protein shakes.  I like Atkins Advantage.  I tried Isopure and it was by far my least favorite thing that I have EVER drank.  I have not consumed the 60-80 grams of protein on any day.  I try to get as much as possible.  I walk at work about 6-7 hours 4 days a week and do not feel overly tired.  I too get that sensation in my chest if I drink to quickly.  By any chance did you have a hernia repaired.  My doctor repaired a hiatal hernia repaired and I think part of my digestive problem is from that.  I hope you start feeling better soon.

Kecia

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 277 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views