Much to be grateful for..

The_True_KayD
on 11/27/13 2:07 am

The year 2012 was a rough one. My younger sister was diagnosed with Stage 3 Breast Cancer. It resulted in surgery, chemo and radiation. I broke my right foot in August and then was laid off in November 1, 2012. Seeing my sister work through her treatments, loosing her hair and just feeling horrible made me start thinking about my own health. My sister completed her chemo and radiation two days before Thanksgiving 2012. Our holiday was a joyous celebration.

Now 2013. My sister has returned to health and as she put it, she has gotten back to feeling herself. Beginning of this year I got some blood work noting some results that were weight related. Then I heard that being obese increases the chance for cancer. (Cancer runs in our family) That just made me start thinking that before things get serious I MUST take action to return to health. I had investigated WLS a few years back and decided in May to start looking into Weight Loss Surgery again. My previous research showed that the only two surgeries was Bypass and Lapband. I didn't feel that they were right for me. I said a prayer asking that God will bring me the next step. Soon after I was talking to someone who has had bypass. She said "Have you heard about the Sleeve". After checking it out I realized that my prayer was answered. I found a great program in my area and started the work at the end of June!

As Thanksgiving day approached I realized that I have much to be grateful for. I will be sleeved next Tuesday, Dec 3rd. I am so excited and feel that with every fiber of my being that this is the right thing for me to do. My family has been so supportive of my decision. I am so glad that we can celebrate this Thanksgiving that my sister has returned to health and that I am on my way! I look forward to next year at this time. This 50+ year old woman (who feels much younger than 50) will have a body that matches my mind and attitude- Lively, active and sassy! 

Happy Thanksgiving to all. 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

Katcloudshepherd
on 11/27/13 3:00 am - Lavernia, TX
VSG on 12/11/13

I'm right there with you.  I'm 48 and my surgery is scheduled for 12/11/13.  Just started the two week pre-op diet today.  I too look forward to next year. 

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

The_True_KayD
on 11/27/13 3:29 am

I wish you much success on your pre-op diet. My program is that we change our eating habits and loose weight making healthy choices. The day before surgery we drink only clear liquids. I give kudos to you for doing the two week diet.

I am glad that 2013 has turned out so great! 2014 here I come!! 

I love your avatar. What a beautiful cat! I have three cuties myself! 

drea29
on 11/27/13 10:23 am

So glad to hear your sister is well.  I went through a similar situation this year with my sister.  I had already had surgery, but it  gave me even more reason to commit to life long health.  One of the risks factors for her cancer was being obese.  I am so glad you are able to take this time to focus of your own health.  I am in my late 50's and having the surgery has restored me to improved health.  I too had looked into WLS 10 years ago and was hesitant about the options available.  I guess when the right time comes you know.  Wishing you all the best on your upcoming surgery. 

The_True_KayD
on 11/27/13 7:31 pm

It is amazing how sad situations can bring about positive things! I am looking forward to having time with my family. Going to focus more on people around me and less on the food. I am down to days in this process. For a long time it was just "talking about it". Now it is "doing it". I woke up this AM and could imagine myself having a healthy body for next year's Thanksgiving. 

Thank you for your kind words and well wishes. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 165 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 441 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views