Thanksgiving and Giving Thanks

Chrissy W.
on 11/26/13 8:13 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

We had our family Thanksgiving dinner tonight. I sampled everything because I do not believe that my VSG is a tool to be used as a "punishment." Having grown up in the South (Tennessee, y'all!), family get-togethers always center around everyone bringing their prized di**** is offensive to not try a bit of everything. Post op life is going to be no different for me. I will not be "that person" who hurts someone's feelings because I appear to snub someone's loving, hard work at family gatherings. I know that "living in moderation" is not a popular camp in these parts, but it works for me. I have lost 78 pounds from my HW of 298 to today's weigh in of 220. The scale didn't punish me after a dear friend's wedding festivities this past weekend where I made her wedding cake and her groom's cake and had tiny pieces of each at the reception to boot. The scale actually went down 2 pounds while I was partying with these loved ones. This works for me. When it doesn't any more (I'm sure that'll happen eventually), then I'll do things differently. 99.9 percent of the time I track, I get my protein, I keep an eye on my carbs, I get my water. On the days when I don't, I don't beat myself up. I instead watch for triggers. I watch for carb cravings and eat protein instead. I make sure to flush with extra water. I take precautions and move on.

I am so thankful for my sleeve. I am thankful that I am no longer allowed to abuse myself with binge eating when life gets tough. I am thankful that I no longer feel the need to finish everything on my plate (in record time). I am so thankful for this tool that has allowed me to change my life and regain the confidence that I have not felt in almost 10 years. I am thankful for my supporting friends and family, my wonderful surgeon and his team, and for this site that I have used as both a resource and an outlet.

So, here's to you, OH. Enjoy your Thanksgiving festivities in whatever way you choose - whether protein only or (GASP!) mac-n-cheese and all!

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

Mrs_Desire _
on 11/26/13 8:52 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13
My family is big on Thanksgiving also. I still have cakes anda dish to make regardless of my having surgery. No biggie to me. I wish I could have some bites of Thanksgiving dinner But I Think I might be to soon out from surgery. I plan on zip locking some turkey and veggies though for the weeks to come when I can eat. Have a happy thanksgiving to you.

Myfitnesspal: MsDesire​  - Revision from Realize Band Patient

Height: 5'10" HW: 305  SW: 298 Surg Goal: 195 Endo Goal: 165 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 85 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views