Acid reflux after stomach bug

ib40
on 11/12/13 12:55 pm

I am more than two years out, and I have been lucky enough to not have had a stomach virus in that time. I actually was beginning to think that maybe my small stomach discouraged the bacterial or viral growth necessary. I have discovered I was wrong. I had a yucky gastro bug last week and horrible stomach cramps. I truly think that the bacteria produce gas and, since the stretchy part of my stomach is gone, there is nowhere for it to go. It hurt so much! I'm still dealing with the diarrhea and other fun stuff that goes with it.

However, it's been a week and I'm having the worst heartburn/reflux along with burping, gassiness, and just general gastro upset. I was one of the lucky ones that only had to take an antacid the first month post-op. I haven't had a problem with it since until now. I think the stomach bug has thrown my gastro balance off and it will just take time to get back in sync. I am taking probiotics and antacids. I'm allergic to Prilosec, so I bought both Prevacid and Zantac at the store. It gets much worse at night. 

Has anyone had this occur after a stomach bug?

pineview01
on 11/12/13 2:12 pm, edited 11/12/13 2:14 pm - Davison, MI

I was trying to reply when the site went down to switch over to the new format, which I don't care for, but that is me.

Anyway.  I think I got the same bug!  Same symptoms and the reflux.  Have you tried the gas-X.  I am doing that, pappya enzymes and activia.  Yes it is worse at night but it has been better today.  I was about ready to break out the Prilosec too.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 394 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views