Compliments

ltljennjenn
on 10/18/13 4:47 am

Does anyone else find that when people make a huge deal about how great you look and your weight loss, you have a tough time with it? I feel like I am just back to my normal self so when people make a big deal I find it irritating because it just reminds me that I looked so awful before.

I don't know. I just want to move on from it and be me, not the one who lost so much weight and how did I do it and how much did I loose ect.....

I understand people want to comment, not really blaming them, just wi**** wasn't always the topic of conversation I guess.

Ok, done venting now!!

ltljennjennkiss

shrinking_sarah
on 10/18/13 4:50 am - CA

I have learned to say thank you and accept the compliments, but it gets uncomfortable if they go on and on or if it's a lot of people in a row (like a group gathering when I haven't seen people for a while).  I'm just not comfortable with being in the spotlight like that, and then it starts to feel like we should talk about other things as well, and, you know, I also have a brain and am interested in discussing other stuff.

Eventually people will get used to it (and then I'll probably miss the compliments, lol).

Anyhow, I get it.  I do.  But I try to remain aware of the fact that it won't always be this way and enjoy it while it lasts.

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

Nikke2003
on 10/18/13 5:17 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I agree with Sarah... it's nice to hear that you look great, but it is when people go on and on and on (which usually they do) that it starts to get super weird. I have a hard time with it when it goes beyond "You look great!" I wish that it would stop there. I don't mean to sound ungrateful... I appreciate the notice and the positive feedback... but the attention gets awkward!

On the other hand, in June I went to a family function (Dad's side of the family) and had lost 130 lbs since they last saw me.... and not a single person noticed. It was NOT a case of them noticing and not wanting to say anything. I know that for a fact because of conversations that were relayed to me after the fact.

I was not happy that nobody noticed... but I'm not happy when people can't stop giving me attention LOL.... will I ever be happy?!?!? haha

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

ltljennjenn
on 10/18/13 5:21 am

I here ya, I don't mean to sound ungrateful either but also think a "You look great" is enough. Not grilling me on every detail!! But I do understand the interest. Just don't want it to be the starting point of every conversation.

ltljennjennkiss

OregonGuy2012
on 10/18/13 5:32 am
VSG on 04/04/13

Another thing to consider is to look at why they are asking you all the questions.  I have had times where I felt the same way, but then come to learn that I have inspired two other people to have this same surgery.  It turned out the grilling me with question was part of their search to see if this was what they were looking for.  One is now attending the group sessions at our hospital and is having surgery soon and the other is still waiting on Insurance approval.

Bufflehead
on 10/18/13 8:03 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

ugh, it makes me so uncomfortable. Especially when a co-worker says something to me like "you look so cute with an actual waistline! You don't look like a big blob anymore!"

(no I didn't make that up)

I don't know, I really don't want anyone commenting on my body other than my doctor or my partner. So I can totally relate.

grayC
on 10/18/13 8:26 am
VSG on 05/01/13
I smile and say thank you, I like hearing it, but if they go on and on it does get weird and uncomfortable...
But I know I looked hideous and unhappy I wore it on my sleeve for all to see
So I don't get offended, people are responding to my weight loss, yes, but also the happy vibe I now give off.....

LtWeight
on 10/18/13 1:06 pm - MO
VSG on 07/29/13

I don't like it much either.  I usually just say thanks and leave pretty quickly.  I don't want to get into conversations with 2 people in my office who have no idea that I had surgery.  They are negative and like to gossip so I chose not to tell them, my boss and one close coworker know what I did.  I don't care if I'm the center of attention but I don't need to be reminded of how terrible I looked.

cmgrayson
on 10/18/13 1:13 pm
VSG on 06/25/13
My psychologist touched on this during the pre surg consult. This is very normal if that helps....the uncomfortable awkwardness....

G5x5
on 10/18/13 2:45 pm - VA
I agree with the others, shortly after it started, with more and more compliments coming in, I just learned to smile, say thank you, and be gracious while doing it.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 308 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 355 views