Back surgery 2 years after WLS

Jasonm11
on 10/17/13 8:43 am

This past Monday, I had back surgery to repair 2 of 3 herniated discs, 1 of which was torn.  I don't know if it was just me or what the deal was but this recovery is exponentially more difficult than my recovery from gastric sleeve.  I've had trouble finding anything that can even tame the pain at all.  For now, I'm wearing a butrans patch and taking flexerell 3 times per day and barely make it through. 

Anyone else had back surgery and had this much trouble?  I didn't have any fusions done and the surgeon initially felt it would be a fairly routine surgery.  In the end, he did say it was more involved than he thought but he still felt that I would be able to go home the same day. 

So far, my left leg hasn't woken up.  My back is throbbing from muscle spasms and the worst part of all is the medicine that keeps the edge off, keeps me in such a high state that I just feel like crap.

Anyway, I didn't intend to turn this into a whine fest but just wanted to hear some other opinions of back surgeries.  I had expected this to be a quick and simple thing and snap back after a few days....

Actually, the first indication I had that my recovery expectations and the surgeons expectations may be off was when he gave me the prescription for 60 flexerell and 40 ultracet, then told me to call for a refill once I run out of those in a week or two.....should have been a sign....

But as far as weight loss, I'm not doing too bad...have put on about 10 lbs since I had to stop running and exercising about 6 months ago due to the back pain.  I'm not beating my self up over it though....I expect to eventually snap back once I can get back into a habit of exercise.

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
(deactivated member)
on 10/17/13 10:14 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/13

Sorry your in such pain. I have not had back surgery but just wanted to say Congrats on the weight loss. Hope you will be feeling better and running again!

acbbrown
on 10/17/13 10:54 am - Granada Hills, CA

Ive been on morphine and percocet for the last 2.5 months because of 2 herniated disks and spinal stenosis. I really really need back surgery and im praying it will happen soon, and I am prepared for the agony, but I cant imagine its any worse than the pain ive endured this far. Sorry to hear you are going through this misery!!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Jasonm11
on 10/17/13 12:16 pm
I'm sorry you're going through that. I know exactly what you are experiencing. I am better than before surgery but the recovery seems like it is moving so slow and as things start to wake up, they ache so much. I'm trying to focus on taking the flexerel on schedule and I thi k with that and the butrans patch, I'll be getting back to pain free soon enough. I hope you can get your pain resolved soon enough....I know soon enough would have been when it started! Lol

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
tysmom01
on 10/18/13 6:23 am - MS
VSG on 08/12/13

Oh dear me! Unfortunately, I can so relate!!! I had back surgery May of 2012. My recovery was 4 months long!! I had 2 herniated discs with tears and major nerve damage. I am a Paramedic which is a very strenuous job and that's what ruined my back, My neurosurgeon took out the discs and fused my vertebra. My sacral bone was shifted up and the 2 vertebra and sacral bone were secured with 2 small rods and 4 screws. Gracious me the PAIN!!! I was in the hospital for 3 days. He sent me home on morphine and percocet for pain, valium for muscle spasms. It hurt to move. I just can not begin to describe the pain. When I was not laying on the couch or in bed, I had to wear a huge brace (I called it my turtle shell cuz that's what it felt like). I could not bend over even the slightest bit for 4 months. I think I gained 30 pounds due to not being able to move around much at all during that time. But,  I'm very grateful for having the surgery. Even though I can tell when weather change is coming and also the cooler weather really effects me, the pain is nothing like it was prior to surgery. I say that after back surgery, you are entitled to whine a little kiss Prayers for a speedy recovery for you and for the pain to ease.  

Age: 34 ~ Height: 5'5 ~ HW: 287 (7/28/2013) ~ SW: 272 ~ GW: 150 ~ Goal weight met 8/9/2014  

sleevegirl
on 10/21/13 6:17 am - Austin, TX

I just saw this.

I had a neck fusion in May 2012 and a double lumbar fusion on July 31, 2013. The bottom line is that no neurosurgeon can tell you how long your recovery will be. Yes, yours was fairly routine as they go, but when you are dealing with nerves and your spine, you just have to take it easy.

I'm starting to wean myself off of the hydrocodone, finally, and hope to be completely done by the time I hit 3 months.

The recovery freaking SUCKS, I won't lie to you (you can read my blog here for my whining about it). But it's worth it in the end. For me, I had severe sciatica pain and was out of options.

Hang in there... it takes time. It was right around 3 months for the recovery from my neck. That was just a single fusion, but that one was done through the ER and "was a really big mess in there" according to the neuro guy. LOL.

The ONLY pain meds that work for me are strong ones - Norco 10/325. After my back surgery, I was supposed to be out of the hospital the next day, but ended up staying there six nights because they could NOT control my pain. It was pretty sucky. They ended up sending me home with Percoset and Dilaudid.

I stayed on the Dilaudid for 2 weeks and Percoset for about 3 weeks and couldn't handle the extreme fog and amnesia it was giving me. So... back to the Norco. I, quite literally, do not remember going for my two week check up. The PA said "you look better than the last time I saw you" and I thought she must have visited me in the hospital. I have absolutely no memory of being there. Ooof.

Honestly, I'd rather give BIRTH AGAIN after ANOTHER 36 hour labor than go through back surgery again. There's absolute no pain as bad. BUT... I can walk down. Win.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views