I'm VERY New Here - Any BCBS/AL encounters??

Teresa B.
on 9/24/13 11:31 am

Just joined today!  I'm in the 2nd month of a 6 month physician supervised program before insurance will consider me.

Please tell me I'm not wasting my time.  My 50th birthday is coming up in March 2014 and the surgery is my present to myself. 

I'd love to hear from other people and would love to have friends close by.

Pavy78
on 9/24/13 12:16 pm - AL

Teresa,

Hello! I am nearing my 1 year anniversary since my VSG. First of all, it is the best decision I have ever made. I'm 34 years old. My highest weight was 302. My surgery was on Oct 9, 2012. The first few hours after surgery were fairly painful due to gas, but by the next afternoon I was home and going for a walk in the city park.

I am currently loving life at 203 pounds and running at least 2 5k races per month. I finished 3rd in my age group in Vestavia Hills a few weeks ago. 

As for BCBS of AL, that is what I use. I had to do the "6 month diet" with my PCP, but he knew what I was really doing. He basically told me to move more and eat less, signed the paper each month after I weighed in his office, and kept encouraging me to do it. I had no problems with BCBS. The only minor issue I encountered was that my surgeon's office submitted for my approval 2 days prior to my 6 month diet completion, so BCBS automatically denied me due to the dates (it is all computers at that point). So, they had to manually reapply again 2 days later, which meant a human at BCBS had to approve it. It only added a couple of days, though I will say it was stressful. Other than that, BCBS was great. No surprises with my MD visits, or hospital stay.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions. I would do this again in a heartbeat! 

Oh, BTW, I used Dr. Touliatos at Trinity (formerly Montclair) in Birmingham.

Take Care,

Josh

Teresa B.
on 9/25/13 11:28 am

Thanks for the reply and all the information.  I actually live in NC.  I've had enough surgeries to know the first few hours are rough coming out of everything. 

Member Services
on 9/24/13 12:47 pm - Irvine, CA

The gift of wls will be the best gift you could give yourself.  Congratulations on putting your health front and center.  Here are a couple of links that we hope help you as you navigate our site:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/content/sitehelp.html

http://www.obesityhelp.com/content/terms-of-service.html

If you have questions or need assistance please contact us and we will be happy to help.  [email protected]

Best wishes.

themexcellentone
on 9/24/13 1:54 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Glad to know I'm not the only one who gave herself VSG surgery as a birthday gift! :)  My birthday is in March too.

These 6 months will go by fast and before you know it, surgery day will be here.  You are most certainly not wasting your time...it is totally worth it!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Teresa B.
on 9/25/13 11:30 am

Thanks!!

Sandy M.
on 9/24/13 10:40 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

At 52, I know that it's never too late to finally live the life I was always meant to live.  Think of the 6 months as practice.  If you haven't already, here's what I suggest you do:

1. Sign up for MyFitnessPal and start tracking every bite that goes into your mouth.  And be honest - you don't have to share your food diary with anyone but yourself unless you want to.  

2. Get moving.  Every single day, get out for a walk.  Or park your car at the far end of the parking lot.  Or take the stairs instead of the elevators.  If you're up to it, get a gym membership and a personal trainer.  The healthier you are at the time of the surgery the less chance of complications.  Plus, exercise just plain makes you feel better, period.  If you can, invest in a device like FitBit to track your steps and give you a goal.  Endomondo.com is also a great mobile phone app for tracking your exercise, and both Endomondo and FitBit will integrate with MyFitnessPal so that you'll have an overall picture of how you're doing.

3. Keep coming here - read and absorb as much as you can - the good and the bad.  You'll be prepared for the famous "3-week stall", how different people lose weight at different rates, etc.  Everyone is so supportive, and the vets know when to give you a shoulder to cry on and when to kick your ass!

As far as BCBS, I think you'll find that no matter what your insurance company is, the rules aren't universal, but instead governed by what your employer has set up.  Follow the rules, and don't be afraid to fight back if a computer somewhere denies you.  A lot of appeals are successful!  

By the time you turn 51, you'll be the happiest, healthiest, and fittest you've ever been - keep your eye on the prize!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Teresa B.
on 9/25/13 11:31 am

Thanks for all the valuable information!!!

titaniumEileen
on 9/24/13 11:30 pm - NY
VSG on 08/28/13

I was so afraid of insurance issues, but it all worked out and i was sleeved right after my 51st birthday this past August. 

I went to Hawaii for my 50th, and in retrospect I wish I had my surgery for my 50th and then Hawaii for my 51st!  I loved the trip, but was so heavy I could not feel comfortable in pictures, snorkeling, hiking was hard, etc.....I don't have the $$ to go back to Hawaii anytime soon so it is just another memory of a great vacation with photos of my family and only one or two of me.

I can't wait to stop hiding and start living - it is never too late!!!!  Good luck!

Eileen

Teresa B.
on 9/25/13 11:35 am

I would love to go to Hawaii!!  I'm putting off a cruise to do this, but decided I didn't want to do it any other way.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views